1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Coil Tapping. How exactly is this done?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by boneyguy, Jul 20, 2010.

1. garymaddox

garymaddox Tele-Afflicted

That would be about a 3% difference. Lindy Fralin considers 5% on a single coil as over wound. Thanks for the info!

2. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Tele-Meister

I like the slug coil hotter too. That's part of why you don't want to tap it. You want all of that beefy slug (beefy because it's wound hotter and because it sits under a beefier sounding section of the string) and just add a little screw coil to it.

3. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Tele-Holic

nice . im on the right track ..thanks Zhangligun

4. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I think David is saying that he prefers the slug coil on both neck and bridge to be the untapped, hotter coil although his response to your previous post is not entirely clear about that.

5. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Tele-Holic

boneyguy i was asking because i was more concerned with which coil should be the offset coil or the HOT coil. not really what coil to tap

6. boneyguy

Okay, I see.

This is all great information to be getting from these experienced people. Thanks for all the responses, it's been a great help.

7. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Tele-Meister

Because the coils that are farther from the bridge have the better stand-alone tone.

8. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Tele-Meister

No, opposite there. The neck screw coil has the sweeter part of the string so tap the slug on the neck.

9. boneyguy

Thanks David. I really appreciate your input on this.

In general, does the slug coil have a bit more oomph to it in contrast to the screw coil?

Do the slugs tend transmit more magnetic charge and therefore have more output or at least a fuller sound? I'm thinking it would because it's a single,solid piece whereas the screws are not.

I'm wondering this because if they do would it make sense to simple turn the neck pickup around and then tap the screw coil. That way you've got the slug coil which has more oomph to it (if in fact it does) at the sweet spot under the string.

I'm I making any sense here?

10. benbo

benbo Tele-Afflicted

Hi Boneguy, turning the neck pickup will give you a different tone true, but you will put the pickups magnetically out of phase with each other. You could do a simple magnet flip and fix the problem.

11. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Tele-Afflicted

Turning the pickup around does not change the phase. Flipping the pickup upside down would change the phase, but that is a lot more work. :)

Instead you can change the phase by rotating the magnet.

12. boneyguy

Thanks Ben. Good point. Probably not a problem for me though because I only ever play the neck or the bridge by themselves, never both together. In fact on a few of my guitars I've put in a 2 way switch. I've just never found a 'both pickups on' sound that I like on any guitar I've owned. All the tight, focused sound that I can get from either the bridge or neck disappears and it gets too thin and 'pretty' sounding for my tastes. I've tried wiring in series but it still doesn't do it for me.

13. boneyguy

EDIT: Okay, now I"m just confused.

It seems we're maybe arguing about which are the appropriate verbs to use. 'Flip' 'Rotate' 'turning around'. I think you and Ben may be saying the exact same thing? Maybe?

14. benbo

benbo Tele-Afflicted

I think so Bone. What I meant is if you turn the pickup in the neck around, "screw side towards bridge, it will be magnetically out of phase with the bridge pickup when you play in the middle position. A lot of people like this tone, me not too much. So coming from the neck you would have the magnet line up like this: N/S neck and N/S Bridge PU. NSNS instead of the normal way which is
    SNNS

15. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Tele-Afflicted

No, we aren't.

I am saying that the only way you can "turn the neck pickup" to make it out of phase is if you put it in upside down. Phase is determined by the relationship between the magnet's field and the direction the coils are wound. Unless you take the pickup apart those phase relationships are unchanged.

Turning the pickup around just puts the adjustable poles closer to the bridge. Moving a pickup does change its relationship to the other pickup, but does not make it "out of phase." It is a different sound. But not electrically out of phase.

If you open the pickup and rotate the magnet 180 about its long axis you will now have an out of phase pickup. Whether it is turned around in the ring or not.

16. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Tele-Meister

It has more punch, partly because the slugs are thicker, but also because unlike the slugs, the screws drag some of the magnetic field down below the baseplate, so the tone is a bit more sweet/mellow. You can prove this by cutting about 1/4" off the screws so they no longer extend below the baseplate. The screw coil would then sound more like a slug coil under the same part of the string, more upper mid punch and and bite.

It's not a huge difference, and what difference there is is significantly reduced as you raise the screws toward the strings.

On the bridge pickup, you can get a lot more midrange by spinning it so the slug coil faces the bridge and raising the screws to your taste.

17. boneyguy

Thanks again David. As always you've given us some really great information. I appreciate it.

18. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

I have a short question that refers to tapping a single coil. Several pickup manufacturers offer PUs with one or more coil taps. Imagine for instance a PU that is 9k total resistance with a tap at 6k. The recommended standard way to wire this would be to hook a SPDT switch to the signal wire that switches between the 6k and 9k taps. When switched to 6k there is always an unused section of the coil (of 3k in this example) connected to the signal wire. This bothers me since I do not know what several hundred yards of loose magnet wire does to the signal. I put this in the attached drawing 1.

When I swap the ground and the signal connection to the PU this would give me another way of connecting it, operating the pickup "in reverse" (drawing 2). The advantage would be that in the 6k mode there would be no unused coil section connected to the signal. Has anyone experimented with these two ways to wire a PU with coil tap? Phase issues aside, wouldn't the second way of wiring give me a different/better sound as I would expect?

[​IMG]

Thanks!

19. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Tele-Meister

If the extra wire has any effect at all, it might be to add a little noise. Shouldn't affect the actual tone at all though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.