1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Coil Tapping. How exactly is this done?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by boneyguy, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Tele-Meister

This is called Spin-A-Split, which is a great idea and I think it was Duncan that came up with it. Or at least at his site wiring diagrams is the first place I ever heard of it. The only down side is you have to give up one pot for it, which I think is the reason the idea isn't a lot more popular than it is.

I like to think I came up with the "splat" (part split, part tap) idea on my own, and technically I sort of did because I didn't get it from anyone else. But that's not the same as saying no-one else thought of it before me, and I think somebody did, probably more than one but I didn't find that out til later. It's really not such an out-there idea that a bunch of people haven't considered it over the years -- I'm not that smart.

2. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Or are you!?

:D

3. garymaddox

garymaddox Tele-Afflicted

My plan for using this is to employ a slider and a push-pull. I think once you have it adjusted to the level that produces the best single coil sound you won't need to tweak it. BoneyGuy pointed out that this is like adding another volume. I only remember getting a more convincing single coil sound than what I was getting with the push-pull alone.

4. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

Any idea who would steal this Don? ;)

5. garymaddox

Sorry if I offended anyone. It was not my intension.

6. boneyguy

So, if you were to tap one of the coils in a humbucker (as described) which coil would be the best to tap, the screw or the slug? And why?

7. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Tele-Holic

that depends on which position . for bridge tap the slug side for the neck tap the screw side

8. boneyguy

I was thinking about the pickups in the 'classic' orientation with the screw coils on the outside, farthest apart from each other.

Like this..

[​IMG]

If this is the orientation you were thinking of as well, then why would you tap them the way you have described?

9. copperheadroad

10. boneyguy

Mismatched coils are my preference. I have 2 sets of humbuckers wound by a local maker (A2 and A5) that have mismatched coils and are unpotted and they sound fantastic. They are much more 'lively' and open sounding. I could throw around more adjectives but that would likely not mean much. The bottom line for me is that I believe that mismatching coils and not potting them does make an important and noticeable difference.

11. benbo

benbo Tele-Afflicted

Hi Boneguy, I never pot my pickups if I can help it. I do for high gain situations for sure and maybe a little for guys who use a little heavier OD but clean players get them unpotted. To me potting kills some of the magic you wound into the coil to start with..

And I do mismatched coils as well. You are right, it opens it up and gives it a little more sparkle a definition. You can go too far on this and get some really nasty frequency spikes.:eek:

12. boneyguy

Hi Ben. I can definitely hear the difference. I've not run into any problems with unpotted pickups feeding back and I do like to pump up the volume but I don't dial in lots of overdrive. I prefer, as Keefer says, to have "a little hair" around the note but that's all and in my experience that's what makes the difference. I think you can play loud with unpotted pickups without too much concern for feedback but as soon as you play loud and dial up a lot of distortion than you've got problems.

I find as well that the uneven coils give a nice character to the sound. A shimmery sparkle on the top and woody clarity on the bottom. Of course it's important to get the right pickups in the right guitar for that to happen.

In my experience when you hear a really well designed humbucker you will conclude that there is not such a great difference between humbuckers and single coils as most people believe. Most people it seems have only experienced muddy sounding, poorly designed and poorly constructed humbuckers.

The 2 pair that I have that my buddy wound me actually remind me very much in many regards of a P90 sound when I've got them dialed in properly. They have that slightly rude shimmer on top and a grunt to them that makes you smile on the inside. :lol: And no mud.

Here's one of my favourite examples.

13. garymaddox

I have not attempted a humbucker yet. When speaking of them being mismatched, how much variance does one use?

14. limbe

limbe Tele-Afflicted

The usual variations when you don´t want the full humbucker sound and have a pickup with four wires plus ground is to either split it by grounding the connection between the two coils or connecting the coils in parallel.It doesn´t sound wimpy and the pickup is still humbucking.I don´t know which wire gauge Duncan uses on his single-coil Quarter-Pound but he manages to get a resistance of 17.38 kohm in full mode and 8 kohm tapped.

15. boneyguy

Sorry, but off the top of my head I can't recall what the difference is between the coils on the pickups I've got. It's not a huge difference though. I've left a message for my winder friend to call me and tell me what he wound them at and then I can post that info.

16. boneyguy

Just heard back from my friend.

Here's what he says "In the bridge the coils were 5200 winds on the slugs and 5400 winds on the screws.

I'm not a winder myself but that doesn't seem like a huge difference but it's enough of a difference that you can hear the result.

17. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Tele-Meister

I say the opposite. I want all of that slug coil in the bridge and just a little of the screw coil for some decent grunt. Doing it the other way makes for a slicey tone.

18. boneyguy

That makes sense to me.

And would you say the same for the neck? Tap the screw coil side and keep all of the slug coil?

19. copperheadroad

i was just thinking the hotter coil would be tapped but it dont matter as long as ther can get miss matched with the correct coil
    so i was thinking in the bridge the slug coil should be hotter & in the neck the screw coil should be hotter anybody agree with this?

20. benbo

benbo Tele-Afflicted

Boneguy is right, A humbucker really should sound like a single coil somewhat. When I first started winding my best friend told me, if you can wind me a humbucker that sounds like a single coil you'll have it. He was right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.