1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Coil Tapping. How exactly is this done?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by boneyguy, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Don Mare

Don Mare Tele-Afflicted

I re-read the OP and it was the _wording_ that caused one to think that u may have meant how to tap a finished pup is all.. if that many people thought u meant how to tap a finished pup... its the wording... "trust us":D

2. benbo

benbo Tele-Afflicted

Hi Don, How the heck are ya? Hows your health and life in general?

3. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Sure I trust ya Don.....sure I do.:D

From inside my own brain I don't see it but then again there's lots of stuff in my brain that nobody should have to see. :lol:

4. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Boneyguy, can I ask for what purpose you are wanting a tapped pup? I assume it's something like variability in bridge pickup "heat?" Are you doing this on a tele?

I figure since you brought it up I could ask.

dan

5. boneyguy

I've got a 2 humbucker Tele which I love but I thought it might be nice to get more single coil-ish tones out of it.

I know I could simply split the humbuckers but I've never heard a split humbucker that sounds good to my ear. They always sound thin, brittle and wimpy.

So I was thinking about getting humbuckers with one of the coils tapped. Then I could get one full coil plus a bit of the second coil as well to beef up the tone.

For arguments sake let's say you had an 8k humbucker with each coil measuring 4k. If I had one coil tapped at the 2.5k point then when I flipped my selector switch I would have one full coil at 4k and one tapped coil at 2.5k for a total of 6.5k. It wouldn't sound entirely like a single coil of course but it would be much better than the wimpy 4k coil on it's own.

This is what I was thinking about.

6. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Tele-Meister

It's actually needful to say. You can make an all-42 gauge 9k Strat pu, especially if you use longer rod magnets that will give you more vertical space for the extra wire. (I've even made a few 11k monsters, one sitting in my own Strat.)

That said, I have made a few with 42 gauge up to +/-6.5k and take it the rest of way with 43.

7. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Tele-Meister

That can easily be done and it works very well. I've made a few of those too. The bonus is that because the other coil is RWRP (obviously), it's less noisy than a standard coil split.

8. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Tele-Holic

it slipped my mind that i can make taller bobbins i have made some stack single coils as an experiment with some 1" a5 rods i should have looked for some shorter magnets ....thanks

9. Don Mare

Don Mare Tele-Afflicted

I have never heard of humbuckers being tapped like this - thats GENIUS!!
    and its sure to be stolen by the end of the week... I'm sure

10. copperheadroad

hey it might make a good test for a PAF you could compare miss match coils vs match coils

11. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Tele-Meister

It's sort of like having a Fralin Unbucker inside your humbucker. It works VERY well.

12. boneyguy

That's okay because if I were to be totally truthful (and I try to be) I got the idea from Zhangliqun (David Plummer). That's who I first heard it from a while back. Now where he got it from I don't know. Perhaps it's original to David.
    So even though the idea itself may be pure genius I'm certainly not.

13. garymaddox

garymaddox Tele-Afflicted

Instead of tapping one coil of a humbucker, you may get the same effect by splitting with a pot so you can dial in how much of the signal to shunt to ground. You can do that with existing pups.

Thanks to all that posted to this thread! I have only recently started to wind single coil pickups and you guys fingers are far more nimble than mine when it comes to mag wire manipulation. Thanks, Boneyguy for starting this thread too!

14. boneyguy

Hey Gary. Can you explain in more detail what you mean. I'm having trouble visualizing it.

15. garymaddox

When you split a humbucker, you use a switch to send the signal of one coil out to ground. That is part of the reason the signal becomes weak, some of it is being grounded out. Instead of using a switch, take the coil wires to the input of a pot and send the output to ground. You can dial how much of the signal is shunted and not lose the entire coil.
    I've been meaning to try some caps to a switched split to see how that affects the tone.

16. boneyguy

So if I understand you correctly it seems to me that what you would be doing is simply having seperate control of the volume of each coil. Essentially you would have two single coils side by side each wired to it's own control. Correct?

My guess is that would give a very different result than tapping one coil because in your design you're still using both full coils but you're simply sending some of that signal from one coil (or both) to ground.

Have you done this before and if so what was the result?

17. garymaddox

18. copperheadroad

thanks guys this is a very interesting thread a+++

19. studebaker hawk

studebaker hawk Tele-Holic

If I remember right, Peavy used this on some of their guitars.

20. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Tele-Afflicted

Someone who knows how to do this just explained it to you.

Don is a great guy who is very knowledgeable and helpful. But, why not show just a little respect and appreciation for the other knowledgeable people who have taken the time to explain things for you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.