Coil split wiring help

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I've wired lots of guitars but never with a split humbucker. I'm not sure where to ground these push pull pots. I'm guessing anywhere will work?
Here is the pots and a schematic.
IMG_9304.jpg
IMG_9305.jpg
IMG_9307.jpg
IMG_9323.jpg
IMG_9324.jpg

nathan5782

Tele-Meister
Use the side of the pot or the flat surface of the push pull switch would probably be better. You can do an image search for a pre wired push pull wiring harness to get an idea of the setup.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I use the side of the pot, but the entire casing is electrically continuous, so whatever works without impeding action of pot or switch, and without hitting the cavity walls / bottom.

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I didn't realize I had any responses. I wired it yesterday and it worked first try. I just grounded to the top of the box on the pot.
Thanks for the info

ToneCapMan

TDPRI Member
I use the side of the pot, but the entire casing is electrically continuous, so whatever works without impeding action of pot or switch, and without hitting the cavity walls / bottom.
I did the wiring on a guitar for the first time this week & I'm no expert on electricity. Why is it important that you don't touch the wooden cavity wall? I was having problems actually because I had wires hitting the wall & when I organized everything so that the wires were touching nothing but air the problems went away, but I don't understand why....or even if that was the problem.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I did the wiring on a guitar for the first time this week & I'm no expert on electricity. Why is it important that you don't touch the wooden cavity wall? I was having problems actually because I had wires hitting the wall & when I organized everything so that the wires were touching nothing but air the problems went away, but I don't understand why....or even if that was the problem.
You can loosen connections, cause shorts, etc by squeezing too much stuff into the narrow cavity.

Worse, if you've shielded the cavity walls, whatever is touching will almost certainly short.