1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Coil split Humbucker neck pickup

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Guitar_Lefty, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Guitar_Lefty

Guitar_Lefty TDPRI Member

I’m looking for a humbucker (non-stacked) pickup for the neck position.
    I need it to coil split and really want to emulate “that Tele sound” while being able to fatten up the sound when in humbucker mode.

If anyone has done this please let me know the route you went and send audio files if you can.

I’m not opposed to buying a set with the bridge pickup still just a single coil if need be.

Thank you!

Lefty Addams likes this.
  2. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

No Audio files here but I have a 94 (or 95, I can't recall) MIM Telecaster Special aka Tex Mex Special Telecaster that came stock with a humbucker in the neck that could be coil split via a 5 way switch.

Great guitar and quite versatile and I still use it almost weekly as it's my main squeeze at my rehearsal space. But never got on with the stock neck pickup - too muddy in full bucker mode and split was kinda weak. So fairly early on in my ownership (I bought it used on Clist), I special ordered a 4 wire Seymour Duncan Seth Lover for the neck. AWESOME!! I think it was like $100 at the time. Amazing pickup, balances beautifully with bridge (after some minor pup adjustments) and when split, sounds like a great Tele neck pickup. Highly recommend!

Tonetele, Guitar_Lefty and BB like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If you want a full size humbucker, the Seymour Duncan Stag-Mag is an excellent choice, IMO.
    I have used it in the neck position.
    I think it is recommended for the bridge position.
    They sounds great, split or in full humbucker mode.

Guitar_Lefty and BB like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.