Cograts most liveable cities 2018

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigDaddyLH, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Australia only has something like 26 million people in the whole country of course there's going to be less nutters and less of a chance of bumping into one. Our 2 biggest cities have more people than the whole of Australia, that means we have potentially the same amount of maniacs in those two cities as all of Austrailia. If you took half the maniacs in Australia and put them in an area the size of NYC, of course it's going to be scary. You have the spread over an entire continent. You also have a much more "homogeneous"population as do the Japanese cities.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Is Australia more "homogenous" than the US? How do you define that? How relevant is that?

3. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

As to relevance-Excerpted from this article: http://www.latimes.com/la-oe-rodriguez13aug13-column.html

"According to the study, there is a strong positive relationship between interracial trust and ethnic homogeneity. In other words, the less diverse your community, the more likely you are to trust the people in it who are different from you. The flip side is also true: The more ethnically diverse the people you live around, the less you trust them. So interracial trust is relatively high in homogenous South Dakota and relatively low in wildly diverse Los Angeles."

getbent likes this.
  4. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

I never noticed this before, but do mods remove posts? Even though folks have them quoted, but the original post is no longer present?

5. BigDaddyLH

Sounds backwards to me, but okay, they wrote that. Now is the US "less homogenous" than Australia? I know Australia has a higher percentage of immigrants than the US.

6. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

7. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A quote is just a cut and paste. The post may be gone but the quote remains. You can get a reprimand for responding to and quoting a post later deemed to be unacceptable. Ask me how I know...

Doghouse_Riley likes this.
  8. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

are you questioning the press? I thought you were the defender of the press? didn't you negate the 'fake news' post? ha ha! that is be you ti ful!

9. getbent

[​IMG]
    nobody said one thing about the germans!

10. BigDaddyLH

You're ab so loot ly right. I make up my own mind.

11. getbent

it is independent thinking like that that that... oh. okay.

12. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

"Cograts most liveable cities 2018"

What are Cograts? Are those like Steampunk Rats made out of brass and gears?

Those look like good cities to live in if I was a Steampunk Cog Rat

13. BigDaddyLH

14. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes Australia is more "homogeneous" according to the Pew Institute. I think people being on the same page culturally probably adds to the livability factor. The most culturally diverse country on that list of most livable is Canada. But again, Canada is a small country population wise (36M) and with very low population density overall.

15. Telecasterless

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Segundo,_California

You forgot sewage treatment plant. Used to surf Sh!tpipe in HS. Then I realized there's a reason it's called that.

16. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

This is your mind on drugs...

fried.jpg

This is your mind on Cograts...

tumblr_ovuca8pwuU1qlo26bo1_400.gif

telemnemonics, drf64 and BigDaddyLH like this.
  17. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Even allowing for that, Australia is low on the scale of most indices for violence and crime. To Americans, we would probably appear a nanny state - universal seatbelt and helmet laws, no semi-auto rifles. Speed cameras, redlght cameras are rife. But it's a reason why despite hitting 25 million people last year we have low-1000 deaths from auto accidents annually. That's, just over 1000. For the whole country. Deaths by gunfire, all causes but mostly suicide - less than 100.

The difference in attitude between Australia and the US is probably highlighted in gun control. Port Arthur massacre in 1996 a mentally unstable but previously unconvicted legal owner killed 36 people. The most conservative Prime Minister in decades introduced sweeping laws and an amnesty and buyback.

With bypartisan support it sailed through every legislative body. No thoughts and prayers. Just action. It still has 80+% public support. We still have occasional gun deaths and tragedies like 2 recent murder suicides where a father took the lives of his children or family. But the difference is, someone getting busted with a gun is front page news across the nation.

In America personal freedom and liberty is paramount. In Australia freedom is a given - movement, speech, enterprise, leisure - but rights of others and especially the innocent is held to be equally important. Hence Australia was amongst the first countries with seatbelt laws and random breath testing for alcohol. Above 0.05% Blood Alcohol Content in my state, lose your licence on the spot for min six months, first offence.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    AlbertaGriff, RomanS and BigDaddyLH like this.
  18. Telecasterless

Ok, so the mods can and do remove prior posts? Seems odd in the context of this thread <the post quoted in question seemed pretty innocuous, if not unreserved>

19. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

They remove posts. If necessary they will remove posts that quote the offending post. It depends on the mod. I once posted "posts keep disappearing" and that post was removed. It doesn't happen nearly as often as it used to.

20. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    At the bottom of every page, it says (among other things) NO POLITICS. That means NONE.

No need to wonder why this thread got locked.

CLICK!

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.