1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

COFFEE!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by austintele, May 5, 2007.

1. austintele

austintele Tele-Afflicted

I love it!

I had to stop for a couple of years because of a special health problem but now a'ok.

My one vice(yea right!)

I like to experiment with different brands at whole foods; generally like the dark french roast stuff.

Any coffee lovers out there?

"Black as midnight on a moonless night" Dale Cooper

2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

a-1 coffee neurotic here: organic beans, fresh ground every morning with a burr grinder, filtered water and a hefty coffee-to-water ratio. you could not quite float an iron wedge on my coffee but you can definitely stand a spoon up in it.

I like a 50/50 mix of dark roast (french or espresso) with a lighter roast. yeah, I know, total fussbudget behavior, but I work at home every morning, and really good coffee is a luxury.

3. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I gave it up years back, on medical advice, and am a lot better without it.

4. emjayjay

emjayjay Tele-Meister

Jamaican Blue Mountain is my fave. VERY expensive in England, but worth it to me!

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Love coffee. Big fan of the Ethiopian homeland!

6. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

I make my coffee in a thing called a Bodum. Makes strong coffee that way.

[​IMG]

Its also called a French press.

You boil some water pour it over the coffee in the glass cylinder and let it steep for awhile then there is a strainer sorta deal you press down to the bottom of the glass trapping all the coffee grounds.

Makes the best tasting coffee you will ever drink full flavor and strong.

7. tellypicker

tellypicker Tele-Meister

Oh Lordy Day yes!!!! Buy good beans reasonably priced from Costco, run through the burr mill (from Costco - I love Costco...one of the very few places around with no speed bumps in the parking lot!)

I like the French Press style myself, but I use a Chemex system. The multi-layered cone filter into the carafe with the filter device built in on top, looks like an hourglass. Boil water, let cool down to about 190 degrees F. then dribble a few drops of water onto the grounds and let the grounds "bloom" for 30 seconds or so, then start pouring the hot water over. Blooming the grounds is really an important part of making good coffee.

8. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

Love coffee!!!

9. trag-o-caster

trag-o-caster R.I.P.

Oh yes! It may be the one thing that I love more than music, or guitar playing!

I was starting every day back in Elementary school with a cup or two, and have done so throughout my life. Coffee in the mornin', iced tea at night!

I've managed to kick every bad habit (welllllll.... most of 'em :rolleyes: ), including drinking, and cigarettes, but I'm STILL starting everyday off with a good cup o' mud. A man's gotta have SOMETHIN' huh?!? :eek:

Juan Valdez RULZ!

10. 0le FUZZY

0le FUZZY Former Member

... I LUV IT !

...10 tew 20 big cups a day and nuttin will equal this:

[​IMG]

0le FUZZY

11. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

My wife grinds the beans at our local co-op. In the morning, I wake up first. Put the grounds in a one-cup filter. Pour the water in, transferring between two cups. Bring them into the bedroom. Wake her up and give the coffee. I take a pillow and put it between us, lower n the bed. This acts as a cat barrier. The black cat sits on her side. The white cat on my side. The black cat can't see the white cat, so no hissing. My wife and I drink coffee, play with the cats and talk. She makes another coffee for both of us as we get out of bed and start the day.

Heaven.

When I was paralyzed in the hospital for two months (I'm A-OK now), my wife would sleep on the floor beside me. After the docs came by for their morning rounds, she would go downstairs to a coffee stand and bring some up to the room. For a while, she had to give me sips from a spoon. I was happy as a clam during those moments.

12. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

My favorite coffee lately is Folgers Gormet Supreme. Most grocery stores have it. Nice dark coffee. I like it a lot more than that stuff Starbucks charges way too much for.

I remember the coffee Duncan Donuts sold as being really good, but it's been over 10 years since I've tried it. White Hen too. But I never like 7-11 or McDonalds coffee.

Pete

13. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

I remember Dunkin' Doughnuts having good coffee, too. I wonder if it was the coffee itself, or just the fact that doughnuts and coffee go so well together?

14. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

Probably just the coffee, because I used to stop by the place on the way to work, and just bought coffee! Maybe the donut smell has something to do with it.

15. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

Yup, my only vice - hot or cold drip - love it all.

My favorites are Kenyan AAA and a Puerto Rican blend (the name of which escapes me at the moment) that a friend sends me.

Also the house blend from Canal Street Coffee (a local roaster back home in Natchez)

For grocery store stuff - Community (which unfortunately I cannot get in my neck of the woods).

Agree on the French Press. Also have my Grandmothers perc machine which I still use. In summer, I break out the cold drip setup I picked up at PJ's in Biloxi (basically a big basket with a massive filter in which ya let the coffee & water sit for about 24 hours before ya pull the plug and let it drip down).

16. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

Had not thought of Duncan Donuts in quite awhile. Back in the 70s had a friend who worked there - they did have great coffee.

BTW, if ya ever really give Starbucks beans a sniff you will often find they are burnt.

17. Jelly

Jelly Tele-Afflicted

Big strong coffee fan right here. I use an Italian espresso maker, like this one but cheaper (I think mine cost 3 euro):

[​IMG]

18. Five Fingers

Five Fingers Tele-Afflicted

Count me in. I like my coffee like Mark Davis. I use the same type of bodum too.

19. Flying Panda

Flying Panda TDPRI Member

I like the press as well; I have the same Bodum unit, but I generally leave it for a special treat. Pressed coffee can be strong without being bitter, which is awesome. As for the beans, I go to the local Mom 'n' Pop coffee house and get one of the following:

Sumatra Mandheling
    Ethiopian Harrar
    Tanzanian Peaberry
    Celebes Kalosi

Mmmmm....gotta go make some right now & fight off the mid-afternoon snoozies!

20. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

Eight O' Clock Coffee, and lots of it. Drip coffeemaker.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.