Coffee, so what is your favorite brew??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shuster, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My fav for may a year has been Jamaica Blue Mountain. Devilishly hard to get here... if we're lucky, one local shop (well, chain) gets it for the Christmas. We haven't been lucky for a few years now. A new favorite of mine is Ugandan Sipi Falls coffee. I've never ever tasted anything else like it.

Both those are rare and expensive, so they're for the special moments. My usual, everyday coffee is just a local cheap arabica. Freshly ground it's actually pretty good :)

Shuster likes this.
  2. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

surfersblend-one.jpg

My favorite for many years.... Friends and family gift me all kinds of stuff... but, this in the burr grinder, then in the coffee maker or percolator and I am in coffee heaven.

gwjensen and Shuster like this.
  3. RegularJim

RegularJim TDPRI Member

Not my favorite, but this is what we drink 'round here...

upload_2019-2-6_11-9-30.png

fendrguitplayr and Shuster like this.
  4. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

:lol::lol:

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We had a family holiday in Japan last year and that kicked off my interest in green tea. Currently I'm drinking Costco green tea

[​IMG]

(Ito En is the largest distributor of green tea in Japan, too.) I also like the tea with roasted rice in it.

[​IMG]

One day I'll work myself up to the whole ceremonial matcha routine:

[​IMG]

FrontPU, 24 track and Danocoustic like this.
  6. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Holic

These days, it's usually Lavazza Perfetto or humble Medaglia d'Oro in my moka pot, or Kicking Horse Three Sisters brewed by pour-over. One of our local roasters, Topeca Coffee, does a seasonal blend called Sweater Weather that I have been enjoying, too.

Danocoustic likes this.
  7. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

I have recently settled on Caribou French Roast - somebody gave me some Peets French roast recently and I was surprised at how good it is.

For those who belong to Sams Club I discovered that you can order stuff (coffee) they dont sell in the store, online.

8. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

Same here. We drink A LOT of coffee...actually maybe a bit too much. The Folger's Columbian in our Bunn drip machine is our every day power drinking brand. We save the fancy $ coffee for the weekends.

9. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

Another favorite is from any local greek coffee shop. They usually make gallons and gallons and have got the formula down.

10. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

help me understand the idea of 1/2 caff coffee? either all or none is my motto. Well to be fair my motto is more caffeine. I have an espresso machine next to my desk, don't even have to get up to make a cup. it's all or nothing for me.

11. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I'm pretty proletarian in my coffee tastes... Columbian is fine, though I try to stick to arabicas if I can. In better times, I might get more adventurous with African or Indonesian varietals (freshly ground and french pressed) but most of the time, Columbian drip coffee suits me fine.

I miss the days when I'd just pop out of bed, wide-awake and ready to go. I think I was still in grade school.

12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

anything in the coffee family that is not starbucks ( smells like a cats box to me and tastes the same) or anything that did not squeeze through the anus of a civet cat!

LocoTex and Greggorios like this.
  13. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Whatever Mrs. 1952 finds on sale at Kroger or Aldi, sometimes Folgers, sometimes Starbucks...about all taste fine while having a cup with her by the fireplace...

14. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Coffee is my one remaining but hopeless addiction. At home, my favorite is Maui Red Rooster. Insanely expensive, but worth it.
    upload_2019-2-6_13-7-4.png
    We buy Salvadoran Estate Peaberry from Fairway when it's in season. It's close enough at half the price. At work, I use Illy dark drip in a French press.
    upload_2019-2-6_13-11-57.png
    Press coffee typically calls for a coarser grind but I've found this one tyo be the best.
    Other coffees? My wife and I have been disappointed too often. Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

Attached Files:

gwjensen likes this.
  16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Whatever's cheapest, black.

It's coffee.
    It doesn't need any frau-frau foo-foo unseemly silliness.

Vespa_One likes this.
  17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Since we're civilised people I suggest working this out ... with a cage match!

[​IMG]

FrontPU, LocoTex and JL_LI like this.
  18. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

I like a medium roast arabica. I've have been around the horn with the fancy-pants roasts and always come back to Eight O'Clock.
    [​IMG]

Bob

19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Me too. Delicious, dark but not burnt, and widely available.

Bassman8 and drf64 like this.
  20. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

The keys for me are freshly roasted (but not over-roasted) whole beans, water temp no more than 180 deg F,
    and French Press. Coffee making methods that heat up the water higher than that result in more bitter alkaloids
    coming out during the brew. That's why old school percolators and Mokkas tend to make more acid-y coffee.

I also notice that our local gourmet roasters do not over-roast the beans. When I grind stuff like Peet's or
    Starbucks in my hand burr grinder, they grind really easily because they are so toasted. When I use locally
    sourced, micro-batch beans such as from our local HandleBar or Dart coffee companies, they are much
    more resistant to grinding in my hand burr grinder and produce a much richer, more complex brew.

I tend to look for more local roasters, but I also look for what's on sale. I can drink almost any coffee, but
    at home I make the good stuff and it's certainly still cheaper than buying it retail. Since I drink coffee straight black,
    I look for medium and lighter roasts although I'll do the dark roasts, too. IMO the super dark roasts like
    Major Dickason's, French Roast, or Italian Roast were really designed to be optimized when drunk with lots of milk and/or
    sugar, such as French style Cafe au Lait. When coffee is drunk straight black, no sugar, a lighter roast allows more
    of the nuances to really come through--- nuances that are pretty much drowned in milk and sugar.

FWIW most of the professional coffee bean buyers use French Press and drink it straight black when they
    are tasting beans for sourcing.

JL_LI and gwjensen like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.