Coffee Rant

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Dec 2, 2020.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

That's pretty fancy for a Bialetti mocha pot. Never seen one like that.

Buckaroo65 and Torren61 like this.
  2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

superjam144 and Torren61 like this.
  3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I just quit drinking burned "coffee" at all shops including Starbucks. I instead, order an Americano, which requires a fresh grind, fresh shot of espresso (not burnt like the coffee), added to hot water back to coffee strength. Fresh by design. I think a grande Americano at Starbucks is $3.23, when you don't have time to make a cup at the house and fill a traveler.

We have the same maker, its a good product. But Yikes, we are probably making four double shots a day. At that rate, we will hit 3000 shots a year from Christmas! Are these repairable?

Torren61 likes this.
  4. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I’ve been roasting my own coffee for almost 20 years. The variety of available green beans is huge (www.sweetmarias.com is one place I buy from) and they can be had for $5-6 per pound. Nothing beats fresh roasted and it’s good to see that even where I live there are several roasteries that also produce high quality coffee.

I grind with a burr grinder and use a Bodum French press to brew it. I roast to about a medium city, never too dark as you lose too much of the origin flavors. Over the years I’ve tried coffee from most of the world’s coffee producing areas - well, except for kopi luwak from Indonesia! - with my favorite probably being Kenyan. I never add milk or sugar, or anything else.

I will admit to also owning a Bialetti, a Nespresso machine and a 14 cup KitchenAid drip maker for when we’re entertaining a large group of barbarians. ;)

mfguitar and Torren61 like this.
  5. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Sounds familiar.
    Back when I was married we had a family ritual that allowed one McD dinner per week.
    The rules were that it could be any day and the the kids (3) decided the day.
    After the day was decided (and they loved the whole process), we all piled into the car.
    I decided who, on a rotation basis, who got shotgun, who in turn picked the radio station. Important and non-negotiable.
    Off to McD.
    Order food.
    I would sit in place at the window until we received our order. Food and change verified by the kids.
    Either the food order or the change were off about half the time.
    Great fun!
    The trick is, don't vacate your spot until the transaction is successfully completed. It would be wrong frequently and it amused the kids to catch the errors.

M

mexicanyella and Torren61 like this.
  6. SKEsq

SKEsq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I buy my beans from these folks: https://rookcoffee.com/collections/coffee. I'm a big fan of their Ethiopian coffee, or the Guatemala. Grind and brew in a Chemex. I keep a Nespresso machine in my office - which is good for a quick espresso.

SRHmusic and Torren61 like this.
  7. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Only Starbucks I’ll buy is their cold brew (not iced coffee) .... it’s rich, mellow, and somehow chocolatey...love it, will buy an occasional bottle or packages of single serving pods to mix at home...my usual caff brew is actually terere yerba mate (cold infused loose leaf yerba mate). Great stuff, and it can be reinfused a few times over a work shift....looks like grass water, I buy it in kilo bricks, but I drink it a lot more than coffee anymore

Torren61 likes this.
  8. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

@KevinB- you are my new hero!
    I use a french press everyday that makes about 2.5 cups and normally we buy whole beans, for sure going to try roasting now. The local 7-11s now have a machine that grinds and makes the coffee by the cup automatically, it is fantastic! All for under $2.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Living off the grid, we go manual for both grinding and and espresso making. I drink just about any coffee, but after weaning myself off of sugar about six years ago, I can taste the soil that the coffee beans were grown in. So, I have become quite the coffee connoisseur nowadays. I have been a big French press fan for about 15 years, but I have switched back to pour over to lower my triglycerides. It is a theory and it is working after about a year. I must admit, I miss the french press method (we have four sizes). Quarter century ago, I percolated my coffee, but that is way too harsh IMO, but I loved the aroma and listening to it percolate.

My coffee tools:
    IMG_3114.JPG IMG_4801.JPG

SKEsq and Torren61 like this.
  10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

They're repairable, but it's misery doing it yourself. It's an incredible amount of electromechanical components stuffed into a small cubic space. I've disassembled one and it's something akin to removing a Jaguar from its starter that needs to be replaced.

Although a standard item, and theoretially each is the same, each is individual. This one is not as capable as the last one and it's capabilities are diminishing too early. I'll be servicing it within a year, I'm sure, and I'm not pleased with that.

We got ours from Seattle Coffee Gear https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/ and they service these things.

Torren61 likes this.
  11. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

I was coming back from St. Louis with my brother-in-law and we stopped at a Dairy Queen for a cuppa joe in bufu, just off the interstate. We must have caught them with their pants down, because they had to make up a pot.

We waited and then hit the road. About 20 minutes later, we took the first sip, and it had all the body of a brown crayon dipped in warm water. We guessed that they filled the cups before it finished brewing. Had to drive all the way to Kankakee to get proper trucker coffee.

Torren61 likes this.
  12. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have the same exact story except completely different.

I was coming back from Florida around 1984 and I kept seeing DQ signs that showed banana splits. I really wanted one but I didn't want to stop to eat one and I couldn't eat one while I was driving but I had an idea. So I pull up to the drive thru ordering speaker and the girl asked if she could help me. "I hope so", I said "I wonder if you can do this. I want a banana split but I want you to put everything in a milk shake cup and blend it all together and charge me the price of a banana split. Can you do that?" She says "Let me get the manager." He comes on and I told him what I wanted and he says "Yeah, I think we can do that."

Now you know how the DQ Blizzard was invented and who thought of it. They never had them before I ordered mine. It took about six or nine months and then they came out with them and the first flavor was banana split.

You're welcome...

13. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Darn. We really love this thing, got it Christmas 2019. We like the speed, and the quality brew. I'm guessing we can have it serviced for something like half the cost of replacement. Ah well, I'll just look at it as a perpetual monthly cost. Its paying for itself easily versus morning coffee at Starbucks, and keeping me from stopping at Bojangles in the am too.

Torren61 likes this.
  14. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's

Starbucks has always tasted liked they over-roasted the beans. Not for me either.

KevinB, tah1962 and Torren61 like this.
  15. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Baratza Maestro drip grind

Technivorm Moccamaster 56mg/mL or

Aeropress 64mg/mL; inverted 1 minute steep @205F with a one minute press

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Torren61 likes this.
  16. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I like the kind with caffeine in it. Beyond that, the details are unimportant.

soulgeezer, Torren61 and glenlivet like this.
  17. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

A French press is the way to go, although I've been experimenting with cold brewing lately and like that method as well.

I'll never understand why people go to Starbucks. The coffee is overpriced and absolutely disgusting IMO.

soundchaser59 and Torren61 like this.
  18. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Right. Figure on half the price of new to rebuild with a pump and new seals. Maybe you can get a quote on the work.

19. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

My starbucks experience verbatim.
    My theory is they grind everything so fine that it's bitter and scorched tasting no matter who makes it or how it's made. They grind it that fine so they can maximize how many cups/pots of coffee they can squeeze from each lb of coffee beans, a recipe for coffee with that scorched earth taste. Plus it's usually students making it. Plus the majority of Americans have no idea what fine coffee really does taste like.

My wife was drinking grocery store "Best Value" coffee from a filthy old Joe DiMaggio maker when I met her. Maxwell House was her idea of a treat, Folgers if you wanted to splurge. I guess that's how low the coffee bar is in north central Kansas.

Well, I've been filling the cupboards with custom roasted coffees for so many years now that she has finally grown accustomed to the flavor. (good coffee has flavor, not just taste). So one day recently she ran out of coffee and she went out to the camper and fetched a can of Folgers. Only took one sip for her to declare how awful it was and how her memory of it had been so skewed thinking it was great coffee at one time.

It's the same method I used to teach her the difference between fresh and canned pineapple.

tah1962 likes this.
  20. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

You've obviously missed the point of coffeehouses. It was revealed in 1998 in the movie, You've Got Mail by the Tom Hanks Character Joe Fox. Here's the Reader's Digest version:

Joe Fox: The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on earth they are, can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall. Decaf. Cappuccino​

And the clip:

So, coffeehouses are about decisions and self-affirmation, not coffee. For coffee, I brew a cup of Eight O'Clock. It has no snob factor whatsoever but it does great. Oh, and the price for self-affirmation is quite a bit stiffer since 1998.

Bob

lmjmitchell likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.