1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Coffee Rant

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Dec 2, 2020.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

WARNING: French press coffee (or any coffee where the grounds sit in the water for an extended period of time) can raise your bad cholesterol.

2. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

Probably not too many people know that McD serves espresso but it's actually pretty good. What I order is a plain iced coffee with a shot of espresso with no sugar. It's really good, has kind of a nutty taste. It costs $3 for a medium. Worth a try.

drf64 and Torren61 like this.
  3. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I have!:)

The Portuguese pastries are nice, and the coffee is ok, but Italy has the better coffee I find.

Torren61 likes this.
  4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

somewhat

5. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Putting on the pounds doesn't count?

getbent likes this.
  6. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was pleasantly surprised to find the same thing when I was in a rush one morning. Credit where credit's due...:)

rcole_sooner likes this.
  7. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

I have a French press, a Bialetti, a Krups grinder...and rarely use any of them.

My go-to is a Cuisinart drip coffee-maker with a gold mesh filter. We buy ground coffee from Costco (the 3-pound Kirkland can), which is why I rarely use the French press or the grinder. I can't remember the last time I bought whole beans.

It's good coffee and I don't feel the need to go back to paying $15 and up for a pound of beans.

MilwMark likes this.
  8. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Best cuppa?...this one, with breakfast at 3am, roadside diner on the way home...

[​IMG]

geoff_in_nc and Torren61 like this.
  9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I brew my own at home; drip, press, or cappuccino, determined time and quantity needed. I used to stop for Starbucks but that’s pretty much ended. Starbucks has used the plague to force customers onto the drive through line so it takes forever. Then they get the order wrong. Am I supposed to drive around to the back of the line to wait for them to screw it up again? No more Starbucks. I never could stand 7-11. Dunkin’s even worse. I have a hot bottle that keeps coffee made at 7 AM hot for lunch. If I want coffee on the drive home, I just wait and make it after I walk the dog. Why pay $5 for a double cap when I can make it better for 50 cents and throw my change into my own tip jar at the end of the day.

Torren61 likes this.
  10. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I buy green coffee and roast it with a popcorn popper. Works perfect, buy quality beans from around the world from “sweet Maries” online. Great coffee...grind my own. You need a 1500 watt hot air popper. And its kinda fun.

SRHmusic, mfguitar and Torren61 like this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The Starbucks nearest me isn't a drive-thru, so they have to let people in! It's takeout only, of course.

I admit I sometimes stop there as part of the dog walk. I like using my Starbucks Card because they just have to swipe it, and I don't have to spell out my name -- it's picked up off the card.

Torren61 likes this.
  12. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I don't like doing the same version over and over. A little variety is a good thing. I've had percolated, drip, french press, the whole nine yards, twice, thrice and then some.

It's all good. Prefer black coffee, but I won't hold it against those who want to screw it up with cream and sugar.

Mrs. 3T lived in France for 4, 5 years, so we have several versions of drip coffee makers and a french press. We have a large percolator because we both drink a cup or two in the morning. She sets up the machine at night, just before we go to bed, so all we have to do in the morning is flip a switch.

I'm not much for espresso, but she likes it. She brought back an espresso machine for which I bought a 40 lb. transformer; Haven't used it much.

When I worked in Louisiana, the office where I worked had this as one of three choices:

1897-600x600-Product_Front-12_oz-Coffee_and_Chicory.png

I kinda liked it. It's fairly common in most restaurants in the area.

Many places like to brag on how black and turgid their version of coffee is: so strong you can stand a spoon up in it...and so forth. Yeah, ok.

I do like some good coffee at Mexican restaurant with enchiladas Colombiana of a weekend morning. Or just any old breakfast with black coffee.

I've tried monsooned coffee, from India. Not bad. interesting approach. ("Monsooned Coffees - A coffee born out of subjecting whole crop cherry coffee beans to moisture laden winds of south west monsoon coupled with a series of manual processing. Monsooned coffees are known for their soft and mellow characteristics that has lured coffee aficionados all over the world. Two most important grade designations in monsooned coffee are Monsooned Malabar AA and Monsooned Robusta AA."
    http://www.aspinwallcoffee.com/specialty.html

Give it a try if you can find it. There was a place in San Francisco that had it for awhile, haven't checked back in 12 years or so.

I guess my favorite, at least in my memory, is Jamaican Blue Mountain. For awhile, the oldest hotel in town where I grew up brewed this up for Sunday breakfast. I really liked the flavor. It's kinda pricey and anymore, who knows if you actually get the real thing or some cheap imitation?

On the weekends, I might be inclined to splash a bit of armagnac or bourbon in my coffee.

don71, DrPepper and Torren61 like this.
  13. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Two questions.
    They let you in with the dog?
    Do you tell them your name is BigDaddyLH? I get that part. Some of them can’t spell Tom.

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

No -- Harley waits outside. He knows I'll share my banana bread.
    When I created ny online account I used my middle name, Frank. It's not a common name these days, but it's hard to mess up.

Torren61 likes this.
  15. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

The only coffee better is Farmers Brothers IMHO...

Torren61 likes this.
  16. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

This post is about a McDonald’s experience, not coffee, but sort of in a parallel to The @Torren61 experience, I went through a McD’s drive-through about a year ago and ordered a couple of cheeseburgers. I was about half a mile away and bit into the first one and realized something was wrong: there was no beef patty in it!

Oddly, it didn’t taste that different; the McD’s ketchup and bun are so sweetened that between them and the onions, it was mainly a texture difference. I was in a hurry so I said what the hell and just ate it.

rewind, kingofdogs1950 and Torren61 like this.
  17. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry about your coffee shop fail. That's so disappointing when that happens.

I too, love French press. The pour-over method is nice too, but only if you pre-moisten the grounds. That's the main reason drip methods don't come out so good...they're too efficient...by the time the grounds start to open up and release their flavor, the water has already passed through.

If you need a quick single serve and have a fine grind handy, Aeropress is nice too. You can buy them at Target for like $30 with what seems like a 2 year supply of filters.

Torren61 likes this.
  18. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I met a friend from out of town at the mall (I know). He suggested we get a coffee from the Starbucks kiosk. Strolled over and tried to order...no go, they won't take my order. I have to go to their website and order online...to someone who's standing 2 feet away from me in the kiosk. Then and only then will they pour the coffee and set it on the counter for you.

Seemed like a lot of trouble, so we just went to Chick-fil-A and got tea.

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Seems more like a smart way to minimize unnecessary face-to-face time and talking for employees over 8-10 shifts day after day in present circumstances.

20. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

You know, we always had a good coffee machine and bought good coffee in my office before I retired. Either me or one other person was in first every day and we made good coffee to greet the staff. Still, 2 of the staff stopped at Starbucks every morning on the way to work and bought one of their fancy coffees. We all paid $2 a week to the coffee fund. I could never understand why they did that, particularly as they drank the office coffee for the rest of the day. I always thought that they must have had horrible coffee bills.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.