1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Coffee Rant

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Dec 2, 2020.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There's basically one way to make matcha.

Torren61 likes this.
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I know some coffee places I would stop by on the way to a gig that are like that. You wait for a strong latte and it tastes like hot water. I will say, Starbucks, like em or hate em... you get a good strong cup of coffee with rich flavor in a Latte or etc.

Torren61 likes this.
  3. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

But did it help you poop? That is the real question.

4. BigDaddyLH

I kinda miss the days when you could show people a thing or two on the elevator.

BobbyZ, Torren61 and sjwieczorkow like this.
  5. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

I make my own coffee at home. I like chicory and Publix sells New Orleans Market for 5.99 a can.

Torren61 likes this.
  6. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

I have a long held theory that 2/3 of people don't actually notice the tatse of what they eat or drink, at least not beyond the level of noticing if it is completely wrong/spoiled. They base their assessment of whether a gastronomic experience is good or not on presentation, setting, expectations, and what other people say rather than taste.

As time goes on I keep experiencing things that make me more convinced some people taste the way a dog sees color.

7. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yeah, I do pour-over at home with a filter cone and Melitta filters. Bought a good Baratza grinder after I was hooked on it. I buy recently roasted beans at less than $15/lb and never looked back. It works out to something like $0.70 for a 14 oz. cup (thermos/travel mug).

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Greggorios, KirbyBarba and Torren61 like this.
  8. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

For $5.00 I better get a gallon.... I'm not a fru fru coffee drinker. Black & hot that's it.
    Used to pretty much live off speedway / 7-11 coffee.

With that said...

One of the ladies I work with will occasionally bring if fresh roasted beans (her and her husband roast them themselves) and grind them....now THAT is a different coffee experience.

Torren61 likes this.
  9. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dunkin doughnuts make it myself.

don71 and Torren61 like this.
  10. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

Imagine the proper etiquette Zimbo requires from fellow elevator passengers during the pandemic. Ye Gods!

Consider the following: Zimbo's fellow elevator passenger pulls his mask down slightly to itch his nose as the elevator arrives at floor #3. Doors begin to open about halfway as the guy waiting OUTSIDE the elevator coughs (which Zimbo is hyper aware of) and then begins to ENTER the elevator. The permutations are too much to bear.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Torren61 likes this.
  11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

"First world problems" I know, but few things are more disappointing than a lousy cup of coffee.

Obsessed, archetype, MilwMark and 3 others like this.
  12. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Folgers and the cheapest coffee maker I can buy...make it like the coffee I drank for +29 years in the Navy--one more scoop ought to do it.

I do a sniff test on the pot at convenience stores/gas stations...easy test for drinkability. If they sell CDs, political views, use whipped topping or employ "professional baristas", it is not for me. More than 99 cents a cup...forget about it.

13. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

THIS! :D

SRHmusic and stormsedge like this.
  14. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Well, try going decaf. No fast coffee joint can make a decent cup with just cream and sweetner. When I could have leaded, the best coffee I tasted was Kona Coffee, the real deal. Water processed Kona decaf is pretty dang good. SO are you folks saying that a Kerig makes the coffee too hot also?

Torren61 likes this.
  15. BigDaddyLH

My father-in-law brags about his daily breakfast, because he is so cheap. (He has bags of money, so this makes the bragging funny.)

He buys the cheapest loaf of bread he can find, usually one on clearance for quick sale.
    Puts it in the freezer, because it's about to go moldy.
    In the morning, he take out one slice of bread -- two would be extravagant.
    Toasts it and puts on margarine. Again, butter: extravagant.
    Has it with a cup of instant coffee.

I've tried to tease him about this: there's butter in the fridge, just how many pennies are you saving? Don't you ever feel like pushing the boat out and having that instead of margarine? Nope.
    And the instant coffee? Your wife bought a Nespresso machine, it's right there on the counter. "It's too complicated." You ... push ... a ... button. "Yes, too complicated"

Torren61 likes this.
  16. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

I know a coffee shop like that. They’ve been so successful and made so many “bucks”, they could probably buy their own “star”. I find this surprising though, since in my experience, you can get just about anything there but a decent cup of coffee.
    Smooth jazz CD? Check.
    Sandwich? Check.
    Travel mug? Check.
    Pastry? Check.
    Coffee? Hold on, we’ll have to brew some. It’ll be about fifteen minutes.

Torren61 likes this.
  17. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Folgers Black Silk and a "Mr. Coffee" or Bunn does it for me. Got over the fancy joints with the 5 dollar cups pretty fast, because 9 times in 10 they can't beat Folgers. Although I'll admit I enjoy that 1 outta 10 they get right. But that's a 50 dollar cup cup when you add it all up!
    Done the "grind your own beans" thing, the French press and all the other fancy crap. Only "fancy" coffee maker I've ever really liked was a vintage Pyrex percolator an ex girlfriend had, made fantastic coffee. Of course it could've been the general mood I was always in, in the morning at her place. . . . .

Torren61 likes this.
  18. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

I've never had a good Dunkin' Doughnuts coffee. I'm not that picky, but this is one that I have never liked.

I have had decent coffee at Starbucks (but I just get plain ol' coffee, black) ... and for that matter McDonald's coffee seldom disappoints.

19. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I have a Zojirushi 5 cup. Great.

As far as take out coffee, I actually liked A burger king I got. Probably from a bunn, but I stopped
    to get my sister and some other nurses some coffee awhile back and got some for myself. good stuff.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  20. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

That’s what I always drank until I started grinding my own. I feel I can definitely taste the difference,

SRHmusic and BobbyZ like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.