1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Coffee Rant

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

So, yesterday I stopped at a coffee shop for a cup to drink while I was driving to my next destination. I masked up and went inside and ordered a 12 oz cup of black with a shot of espresso. $5 and a bit of change. I know times are tough right now so I said "Keep the change."

I got my coffee and got in my car and started driving. I lift the cup and take a sip and it tastes awful! Where was my delicious coffee that I was expecting? They totally overheated the coffee and it's completely undrinkable and I had paid six bucks for it including the tip.

This was a coffee shop. This is what they specialize in. Why do they not know that it tastes awful?

I was too far away and time was ticking for me to get to my destination otherwise I would have turned around and gone back and we would have had a coffee brewing lesson.

I used to use a Mr. Coffee drip brewer until I discovered French press and my coffee life changed. If you have not had French press coffee, you should really try it. It's not hard to do once you've done it a couple of times and it's worth the minimally more effort for the quality.

2. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Yeah, good to check the coffee before you leave the store. I've done the same thing with pick up orders for the family. Get home, turns out it's not my order or something's missing. I'm mad at the restaurant, mad at myself and everyone in the family is mad at me. A whole lotta mad!

jrblue, MAXXFIELD, SRHmusic and 2 others like this.
  3. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

There is a Speedway (gas station) I go to that has decent coffee. Since they are Ohio based, I got there a bit for coffee, and they have good prices on cola. If I get a cup of skunk coffee, I typically don't say anything unless I am still there.

Mind you, the is the 24 ounce that costs me $1.75, and I get double bonus points, so it isn't a big deal.

I do understand your issue - for $6 from a coffee shop, it should be really good if not perfect.

Tommy Biggs and Torren61 like this.
  4. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

If you get a mesh filter for your Mr Coffee brewer, you can get all those yummy oils without the hassle of the French press. :cool:

5. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

French press is a hassle?

6. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Coffee has become an overhyped product. Now that high end coffee is all the rage, it's the image more than the actual product for which you are paying. You can still get an exceptional cup of coffee at a coffee shop, but they can pass off garbage because many will never know the difference.

The old marketing phrase is: sell the 'sizzle' not the steak. They are selling an idea, lifestyle, or image as much or more than the product.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Abre, kuvash, Steve Holt and 8 others like this.
  7. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

I'm mighty lazy.

Abre, faulp, 61fury and 6 others like this.
  8. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

That’s how I felt years ago when I bought my first cup of Starbucks in Chicago O’Hare Airport. I had about 40 minutes before I boarded my next flight. Took a sip about 5 minutes after the purchase and burned my mouth. Tried again 10 minutes later, still too hot and tasted burned. Tried again after about 20 minutes. Still hot but now drinkable but still tasted terrible. I threw it out and have never bought another Starbucks since.

I started drinking Dunkin’ Donuts, or Tim Horton’s and have never looked back. :)

rewind, soundchaser59, DonM and 3 others like this.
  9. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I completely agree with this.

I also agree with Torren61: at $6 per cup, the person who brewed it ought to at least know what they're doing. $6 is more than I pay for a tin of grounds that lasts me weeks at home.

rewind, SRHmusic and Torren61 like this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

... A-and while it's making coffee, just twiddle yer waxed mustachios.

11. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

I like French press coffee too. However, last year, I got a Nespresso machine. Now that is some great coffee!

P-Nutz and Torren61 like this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

My answer for 40 years is a Mr. Coffee pot with a timer and Folgers

13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

14. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I used to work for the green coffee giant 20 years ago, and they would grudgingly concede that those big convenience stores like Speedway had good coffee, good procedures, and such high turnover that you only rarely get a stale, overheated cup... at a pricepoint the green coffee giant couldn't approach.

Of course we're talking about drip coffee, not fancy espresso drinks.

unixfish, Tommy Biggs and Torren61 like this.
  15. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

I worked as a barista for several years in my younger life. As a result, I never order espresso drinks from a coffee shop. As coffee went mass-market, their employees became typical retail employees--given minimal training before being put out on the floor. I have no desire to pay premium prices for burned espresso and lukewarm milk with no froth.

I would get coffee from a shop I knew had good, consistent brewing but I stopped even that a few years ago. The wife and I started working with a financial advisor to lower our debt. One basic thing you start with is to cut your spending. I did the math--I was spending +/- $5 a day on coffee. Five days a week, 50 weeks a year adds up to $1,250. All of a sudden, the Keurig machine in my office looked mighty appealing!

Now that I'm working from home, it's my brewed coffee. Plus a shot from my Nespresso when I need a kick.

don71, bigbean, Fearnot and 6 others like this.
  16. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

The people who are paid by coffee companies to source the best beans all over the world use a simple French press to brew up coffee and taste it in order to determine the quality of the beans and how much they should pay for them. Very hard to beat the quality of French press brew if you do it right-- 190-200 deg F filtered water, properly ground beans. Drip is pretty good, too, but in terms of economy I think French Press requires less beans per cup....

So many places have bad tasting coffee mainly because it sits in an urn for more than half an hour. Most coffee starts to become bitter and foul-tasting when it sits for too long....although when I make French press and put it in a steel thermos it actually seems to keep really well. Over-roasting of beans is also an issue.

Most retail coffee providers use decent arabica beans these days so I agree that there's a lot of decent coffee to be had without going to expensive coffee shops....presuming you like classic American-style drip coffee.

Funny thing is after decades of drinking coffee I've recently switched over to brewing black tea using decent tea leaves and brewing it nice and strong. I'm really liking the taste of it and now drink mostly black tea. It's also a lot less hassle, which is nice. No grinding required.

Abre, P-Nutz, Fearnot and 2 others like this.
  17. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Also agree wholeheartedly with this. By the way, you can substitute 'coffee' with 'Yeti ice cooler' in this post!

BobbyZ likes this.
  18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This! A heated urn is a bad idea. If I make more coffee that I can drink immediately, I put it into a warmed thermos. Zojirushi is Japanese for good coffee.

19. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I make my coffee at home. I currently use Seattle's Best Post Alley #5, smoky and intense dark roast. A 20 oz. bag is <$8.

Once years ago I was driving in a metropolitan area in the afternoon. I stopped at a Starbucks for a cup of coffee. They didn't have any made, but offered to make some if I wanted to wait. How about that crap for a business model?

20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

jonnyfez and BobbyZ like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.