Coffee house gigging acoustic recomendations

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by NBS2005, Mar 7, 2020.

1. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Here's the option that I choose - maybe not suitable for the music you intend to play, though... o_O;)

[​IMG]

Electrifiability attachment is nonetheless possible (and much easier if you are not Lefty ! :rolleyes:) :

[​IMG]

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln

sixstringbastard likes this.
  2. NBS2005

NBS2005 TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm going to check out some of the suggestions. I live close to some really nice acoustic focused shops.

Will let you know what shakes out.

Thanks.

PhredE and telestratosonic like this.
  3. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Ditto dat. If you're happy with the Art & Luthier guitar, stick with it.

I used a soundhole pickup for years happily, and they've gotten even better over the years. They run from around $50 to $200. Three advantages: you don't have to pay someone to install it, you don't have to drill a hole in the guitar, and you can move them from one guitar to another, so a new guitar doesn't mean a new pickup.

If you don't like soundhole pickups and would rather have a piezo (that is, non-magnetic) pickup installed, you might look intro either a K&K Pure Mini or a JJB Prestige-330. (There are other brands, but I don't think you can do better, and you won't be paying for a name.)

PS—North American:

A lot of folks above are recommending Pacific rim guitars. I don't. For one thing, there are so many great deals on used US-made guitars in places like www.reverb.com that it's silly to mail your hard-earneds overseas.

And as you well know, the Godin family of acoustics—Art & Luthier, Seagull, Simon & Patrick—offers a world of great choices at great prices. For instance, one of those little Art & Luthier Roadhouse Series would be a hoot.

PPS—thin necks:

And for a thin, thin neck, check out old Gibson LG-0s while you're browsing www.reverb.com. I don't think anyone's ever put a thinner neck on a standard guitar. I found one for my sister a year or so ago for $700.

If they're not collector items, they're certainly great conversation pieces. And they're a blast to play, too.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    NBS2005 and PhredE like this.
  4. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

for a $1000 in Canada you can easily find an used Larrivee on Craigslist. They are (at least they used to be) dominant in the mid level guitar market. L3 is a nice guitar.

Yamaha is certainly worth looking at. I can`t believe how good their cheaper guitars are. And they make nicer ones too. Possibly best bang for buck. If you can afford it, why not consider a nicer guitar, even if you have to finance half of it. It`s a solid investment for a singer songwriter. They don`t lose value, and you`ll probably be more satisfied and less time thinking how your sound could be better (um, ok that`s a lie).

Once you pick up a nice Gibson, Martin, Taylor...

NBS2005 likes this.
  5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Yamaha FG or FJX models.. great value/features

If NA Is critical, I did play and nearly buy a great plain jane Larrivee that was a great price but it had no pickup.

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

So, @NBS2005 you have a parlor, and you want fuller sound than that. I would suggest splitting the difference between the parlor size and a dreadnought. Four years ago, I did this. I went from a dreadnought I was using at a restaurant gig to a smaller bodied acoustic/electric guitar.

The specific brand of both guitars was Breedlove. The smaller one is Breedlove's Concert shape/size (below left). Both are older Breedlove guitars "Crafted in Korea." I've done hundreds of gigs with both guitars.
    My Breedloves - 2.jpg

Nowadays, Breedlove guitars that aren't made in the USA are crafted in China. You said you prefer North American made, and I get the idea of buying "local." But if you're open to a guitar that wasn't made in the USA or Canada, I can recommend Breedlove. Of course, Breedlove makes guitars in Bend, Oregon, but you'll spend a couple of grand or more for those, unless you happen upon one for sale in your price range.

My Breedloves are nice guitars, and so whenever I go to my local GC, I check out their Breedloves. Consequently, I've played quite a few of those Chinese Breedloves, and the playability of Breedlove guitars has been consistent over the years.

As for a guitar size that's smaller than a dreadnought, you have several options with Breedlove. In their production line guitars, they don't offer dreadnought or parlor sizes anymore. Their "Companion" is the smallest of their smaller guitars, then the "Concertina," then the "Concert." The latter is comparable to the size of a Martin 000 or OM. Below are the dimensions of those three Breedlove body shapes.

Companion – upper bout, 9.93"; waist, 7.93"; lower bout, 13.53"; scale length, 23.5"

Concertina – upper bout, 10.828"; waist, 8.64"; lower bout, 14.75"; scale length, 25"

Concert – upper bout, 11.25"; waist, 9"; lower bout, 15"; scale length, 25.5"

I've played an A&L Ami before. I didn't do a side-by-side comparison of the Ami and a Breedlove, but in my opinion the Breedloves play better than the Ami. You could buy a Breedlove Pursuit series Concert sized acoustic/electric guitar (L.R. Baggs electronics) for $500, a perfectly giggable guitar that plays well. That's $250 under your guitar budget, and for just $80 over that budget, you could also buy the Fishman Loudbox Mini amp that has already been recommended several times over in this thread. I'll join in recommending the Fishman LBM for singer/songwriter applications. My brother has gigged with his, I gig with mine every week. In fact, I just came home from a gig using that amp. Breedlove Concert + Fishman LBM is a great rig for voice and guitar gigs.

telestratosonic and NBS2005 like this.
  7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

8. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

There are loads of great guitars being made right now. Find one that feels, sounds and looks great to your hands, ears and eyes. Really nothing else matters. That being said, I have a $1500 Martin GP that I dearly love and a $75 Washburn D10 that I also dearly love.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.