1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Coffee enthusiasts anyone?!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jannodude, Feb 22, 2018.

1. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

Here's my coffee setup:
    LRG_DSC03768.JPG
    The grinder was a gift from my wife (girlfriend then), scale and french presses were purchased around the same time in 2014.

Please share your coffee equipment/tools!

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great stuff!
    Love it!
    Luckily, I’m easy to please.
    Perc’ed, dripped, French pressed, or Keurig all work for me.
    Anything but Starbucks.

Pualee, unixfish, Nickadermis and 6 others like this.
  3. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

AeroPress ftw.

Nickadermis, NMore, irie and 2 others like this.
  4. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

5. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Holic

Beeing a finn I might be an enthusiast, because I think that Finns drink more coffee than anyone else in the world..?
    We have survived with just two devices. Our primary coffeemaker is an electrolux machine, that has a container for beans. It can be used for beans or for grounded coffee. But if I'm home alone, I use our "Dolce Gusto piccolo cooker".
    I don't use anything (like milk or sugar) in my coffee. If it doesn't taste without anything, then it's not good or well made.
    electrolux.jpg piccolo.jpg

Minimalist518 and jannodude like this.
  6. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

I cannot palate the light/medium/dark roast Starbucks pumps out. It has no flavor profile at all IMHO. Over roasted/burnt flavor is how I would describe it. I'm normally a Peets guy, I would treat myself with Blue Bottle (Oakland/San Francisco based coffee) here and then.

7. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Although I come from a nation of tea drinkers, I do like a good cup of coffee. However, I can't seem to make (or get) a really decent cup where I live and I think the problem is the local "hard" water supply. It's also full of chlorine, fluorine and other stuff that you can actually taste.

Starbucks' coffee always tastes "burned" to me and, like the other high street coffee shops, it is ridiculously expensive. I've suggested to my wife that we should buy a supply of mineral water for our hot drinks but, for the amount we'd need, it'd be expensive and heavy to carry.

jannodude likes this.
  8. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Get a Brita filter. It's essential to good tea and coffee.

Piggy Stu and Paul Jenkin like this.
  9. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

We've tried that, and it does make things a bit better, but the amount of chemical treatment our water still seems to taint the coffee more than tea. We've also tried a lot of different ground coffee options. Espresso is the least problematic as it's so strong - but I'm buzzing for hours if I have a couple of those!

jannodude likes this.
  10. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Holic

Finns have been used to make coffee of "light brown" beans = light or medium roast and that's quite bitter coffee. On holidays (=out of the country) I remember that coffee used to be better and better by the longer distance from FInland. People have nowdays changed to darker beans (= more roasted). That makes the coffee taste smoother.
    I think that earlier, when we (finns) drank a lot of bad coffee, we used to call our coffee with degrading names like petrol, or tar, or even as "corpse ablution". And still we drinked it a lot?

jannodude likes this.
  11. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

My goto for a single cup. 16g drip grind. One minute steep. One minute press.

Nickadermis and jannodude like this.
  12. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

We have an instant hot water tap and use a hario drip cone. We drink Peets Major Dickason, which I first discovered long ago as grad student at Berkeley.

gwjensen and jannodude like this.
  13. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Love me some cold pressed coffee made in my French press. 3 cups water, 3scoops coffee and a little honey over night. Yes I microwave to heat it up in the morning, but it’s so smooth.......

aux8 and gwjensen like this.
  14. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

I too live in Essix, and don't drink the water unless it has beer in it. A decent water filter is always handy.

jannodude, Paul Jenkin and jondanger like this.
  15. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Main requirement: Beans that have been roasted days ago, not months.

irie, jannodude and deytookerjaabs like this.
  16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

What is the scale for?

17. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm an addict.

jannodude and mnutz like this.
  18. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Burr grinder, aeropress, Peet's Major Dickason's - great coffee, simple and effective.

Nickadermis and jannodude like this.
  19. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

I work in a hotel, and we recently installed a full-on coffee bar. Since nobody else can palate a pure espresso, I became the de-facto espresso tester. I've learned to love it!

We sat through a couple hour training course and the entire front desk staff (and me, in maintenance) are now certified baristas! They wanted me to be there for when the inevitable problems occur. But, I've tried making coffee to the same spec at home, and it's WAY too strong. They recommended a 17:1 ratio of water to coffee, and that comes out to be on the order of 10 scoops at home...my normal pot in the morning is only 3.

Anyway, I've taken to hitting all of the local coffee shops on my days off and trying out their espresso, just to have a basis of comparison...surprisingly, we're not the worst espresso in town.

jannodude likes this.
  20. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

IMG_3063.JPG I an all day coffee drinker!

I've tried about every type of system for making it.

A few years ago I switched to a stainless steel stovetop percolator. It's the best tasting coffee I've ever had. The smell is also wonderful and fills the house.

I buy beans whole and grind them very course. After its perced I transfer it to a Stanley thermos to keep it super hot while I make another pot.

Also, it's very cheap and maintenance free.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.