Coda Alan Lancaster, Status Quo Bassist.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by esseff, Sep 26, 2021.

1. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I've just seen on the BBC News that Alan Lancaster, Status Quo's bassist during their (imo) best years has died at 72. He'd not been in good health for a while due to MS.
    SQ probably aren't too well-known in America but here in the UK they were a powerhouse of blue-denim rock boogie in the'70s. They started going soft in the '80s and in-house friction resulted in drummer John Coghlan and Lancaster leaving. The original line-up reunited in 2013 for The Frantic Four tour but even then, Alan looked frail. Anyway, here he is on one of their best head-down hits.

Turn it up to 11.

Edit - just seen that Lone Poor Boy posted the news while I was writing this.

Hamstein, Si G X, Hey_you and 5 others like this.
  2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They didn't make much of a splash here in the States but, I thought they were Fantastic!

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

Yep, I loved them too until Rossi started moving into the commercial market and they lost their edge. Some of their offerings sounded no better than cheesy fairground music and I gave up listening to them. Alan Lancaster kept true to the original spirit and some of his bass runs were brilliant, especially on the Piledriver album.
    Quo still get good concert attendances but I'll never be at one.
    Thanks for the good times, Alan. :cool:

CustFan, aging_rocker and String Tree like this.
  4. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

Loved Quo when I was at school. Never listened to them much later, but Piledriver was a classic album.

Here's a clip of Alan on lead vocals for a Doors cover, from 1970. They eventually recorded this for Piledriver.

Si G X, CustFan and nojazzhere like this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think the only attention they got in the States was with Pictures of Matchstick Men. I've heard a number of covers by them in recent years, and they sounded like really, really good bar cover band.....and I mean that most respectfully. As a "kitschy-cool" song, I like this.

6. dublindave8456

dublindave8456 TDPRI Member

a big part of the reason I play guitar....

was status quo.....

the image.... the hair.....
    the denims....
    and easy enough to cover....

RIP alan.....

thanks for the ride...........

aging_rocker and Si G X like this.
  7. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Quo - as tight as a nun's knickers on Good Friday

8. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

RIP Alan. :(

Yeah, I'm a bit like that, loved them when I was about 10.... Until he died I never realised what an inspiration Rick was to me as a guitar player either.

I mean, THIS is what I think is 'playing the guitar' still now. Not Steve Vai or whatever. :D Head down, 3 chords, beat it like you mean it.

9. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

Since around the mid/late 70s, Quo have been a 'Quo-parody band', IMHO - too much "kitschy-cool" :D

I doubt anyone much in the UK even associates Quo with Matchstick Men these days.

And yep, they were always just a really, really good bar band who liked to boogie, no pretentions to being anything else. And yes, Rick Parfitt was one of the great rhythm guitarists.

This is classic Quo - live and loud at the Marquee in 1972:

esseff, dublindave8456 and Si G X like this.
  10. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oh it was more than just three chords. But yeah, Rick was the wall that kept the whole castle standing. People name check Malcolm Young as being the greatest rock rhythm player of all time but Rick had been doing that for longer than Malcolm. But yes indeed, slamming those powerchords like they owed you money, that's what Rick was all about.

Keith Richards once said "Forget about the Rock, give me the ROLL." The Quo was that band who always ROLLED rather than rocked.

I'm pretty sure Rick welcomed Allan in the afterlife "Good to see yuh mate, have a beer!"

aging_rocker, esseff and Si G X like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.