CNC Services

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by cnlbb, Apr 1, 2020.

1. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

Just before the great shut-in I was finishing up my first CNC design and planned to go to the makerspace where I work and get it cut/routed/cnc'd(?) Welp, my workplace ain't letting me or anyone else near the makerspace until at least April 30th and I'd love to get this project moving so I'm curious if any of you have experience sending someone or a company your pattern to have them cut it. I have a nice chunk of maple, but would be happy to let them supply their own wood if that's easier than shipping both ways.

Also, what's the general cost of a service like this? Thanks you ahead of time to the collective TDPRI braintrust.

2. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Just an idea...email this guy and see what he says. He sells his bodies pretty cheap, and except for a couple unhappy users here at tdpri, he seems to get favorable reviews. I wouldn't make anything and sell it for this cheap, but hey we all have different price points.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=303477424120

4. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

Well sure, the guitar bodies are cheap, he then throws out $44 in shipping...sort of ruins the deal for me.

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

It say's $11.90 to ship to me..but I don't know about elsewhere. Shipping has gone up everywhere. What's a stewmac order these days? 65 dollars for a paint grade basswood blank and 10 dollars to ship....it's all relative.

6. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

I guess it's because I'm in Oregon the shipping is so high. If I could get that with $11 shipping like you I'd probably buy it. That is a good deal.
    On the flip side, you can buy a pretty good body that's already finished from GFS delivered for under $100.
    https://www.guitarfetish.com/XGP-Tele-Style-Bodies_c_552.html

7. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

Shipping to me in Oregon for a tele body is $15.30 from GFS. They are located in Florida.

8. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Probably a lot more than you are thinking. If it isn't one of their stock designs there can be a lot of cost in just the setup.

Switchy and cnlbb like this.
  9. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

For reference, Vancouver Canada this cost me $450 CAD to have 2 pcs each 3/4" Plywood custom cnc cut.
    [​IMG]

Switchy, GunsOfBrixton and cnlbb like this.
  10. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Hey Bentley! On the top part on the upper left side, that 2" wide indented area.has square corners. How did they manage that with a CNC? (round bits leave rounded inner corners) Did you have to clean that up or did they? Or perhaps they cut it with a laser cutter?

11. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Honestly, that completely slipped my mind when I sent it out, maybe thats why my price was so high. At least I wasnt the designer of that specific part... Didn't even think about that I believe they just had a small radius.

12. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

What were your tolerances on that?

13. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

Nobody can price sight unseen. But in the old days when I worked at a shop, I probably would have charged $150 to program something basic, and then $75/hr machine time. Plus fixturing.
    You're better off waiting if what you want is anything relatively complex.

14. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

I can't recall exactly, but usually my tolerance block has anywhere from .060 to .100 for fractions.

Jlwctn likes this.
  15. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’m a Manufacturing Engineer. I’ve also programmed 2, 3, 4, 5, and 9 axis CNC machines over the years using multiple CAD/CAM systems. Good to see other CNC knowledgable people here.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Jlwctn likes this.
  16. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

I would say that given that it was plywood, and no tighter than the tolerances were, they did the job on a manual. Saved a lot of redraw and programming time.

17. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Those of us who do CNC work generally charge for time and time includes preparing the job and running it. Things like shipping, etc., obviously get tacked on for non-local folks. Regular customers who subcontract me work get a better rate than one-off work; largely because "it's a relationship" and also because quite often the setups are faster, especially for repeat work.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.