CNC Project - Going Offset

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Washout, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Washout

Washout TDPRI Member

Hi all,

I thought I'd introduce a project I'm currently undertaking to make as much of 2 Jaguars as my machine will allow.

Part 1 - is the CAD and CAM side of things for the necks

Part 2 - is a test of the CAM on plywood for the main neck body before attempting maple

Part 3 - machining of the neck body in maple

PeterUK likes this.
  2. Washout

Washout TDPRI Member

Part 4 - making some body templates

Part 5 - Machining the fingerboards (including fret slots)

Part 6 - Machining neck clamping cauls and gluing the fingerboards

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

Everytime I click on a video I get an error.

4. Washout

Washout TDPRI Member

Hi Guitarbuilder

Its working my end (using chrome) - let me see if I can get a url that doesn't display the video in a window - here try this one or the one on my signature - or do a Youtube search for the channel I_Made_This - let me know how you get on.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CCWashout

5. guitarbuilder

That worked.

6. Washout

Washout TDPRI Member

Cool - hopefully they are of interest, although I appreciate the CAD/CAM in part 1 is a bit slow going. I also leave my mistakes/issues in so that others don't have to :)

Cheers

Chris

7. guitarbuilder

To be honest, I skimmed the neck one. I've been cnc-ing my own guitar parts for quite a few years now, so...well... I've done this sort of thing...:)

8. Washout

Washout TDPRI Member

No problems Marty, glad you had a look.

With a post count that high, surely you must have a few "Complete Guitar Projects" by now ;)

Mind you I have 3 incomplete guitar projects already, with CAD/CAM coming for two more (Andy Summers Telecaster just to see how close and under the original price tag I can get to the Custom Shop and another guitar of my own design).

9. Guitar novice

Guitar novice Tele-Afflicted

Hi Chris

Thanks for posting this. Im using fusion 360 so im sure you saved me some cad frustration.

Got through the first video. Looking forward to seeing the others on the weekend.

Cheers

Matthew

10. Washout

Washout TDPRI Member

Thanks for the feedback Matthew and glad you found the CAD/CAM video useful.

Personally I found it slow going myself, but will likely start doing a CAD/CAM video followed by a video showing the machining itself, so that viewers can choose to skip to the chips flying part if they want, but still leave the more academic stuff to help people new to CAD.

One area in Fusion 360 I (and others) struggle with are the multi axis curves on the neck/heel and neck/headstock transitions. I kind of stumbled on a partial solution by lofting, but Fusion seems to either be a bit clumsy in that area or I'm missing something (T-Splines are good but don't seem to mix well with parametric modelling).

It should be long before the next part is up.

Cheers

Chris

11. Washout

Washout TDPRI Member

Part 7 - no CNC this week as I'm binding the fingerboards:

12. Washout

Washout TDPRI Member

Hi all,

Parts 8a and 8b are up.

8a is a walkthrough of Fusion 360 end to end and 8b the machining for the dot inlays on the neck:

13. Washout

Washout TDPRI Member

Part 9 is up - a CNC profile sanding block in Fusion 360 and then some fret work:

14. Washout

Washout TDPRI Member

No CNC in this video, but shows where I'm up to with the necks:

15. Washout

Washout TDPRI Member

Two videos this week, as I've finally got to the bodies:

One probably not needed for the CNC veterans on the forum (i.e. machine setup):

and the second some machining:

16. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Very nice documentation. You really do A good presentation of your work.
    I have a few questions.

What is the reason that you removed all of the material around the dots? Is that because you get better round stock? For example couldn't you just use a micro bit and route spiral passes around each dot line curve? I realize that you only had 20 dots to make but with that amount of stock you could easily make twice as many maybe more. Did your dots turned out absolutely around or are they faceted?

17. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

The other question is have you ever used Rhino and a rhino plug-in for Cam like rhino Cam or mad cam? I would really be interested in your comparison if you have.

18. Washout

Washout TDPRI Member

Hi telemcCaster

Thanks - I have a few mroe vids up which I'll post soon, but to answer your questions:

I tend to use trochoidal/adaptive clearing wherever possible these days and it was partially as I'd never cut the material before to try it out. I could indeed have ramped down in a spiral around each dot and that would have been quicker/less material, but the difference would have been neglible - especially as I can ramp up the feeds and speeds on the adaptive strategy once I'm happy it will behave itself.

As I run a full depth clean up contour pass after the roughing the circles are nice and round with no facets - Autodesk/Fusion 360 uses splines etc for curves and not rasters as far as I can make out.

I've certainly heard of Rhino and certainly some of the guys on the MYCNCUK forums use it (one of my other online haunts), but I have not tried it myself and given the aforementioned adaptive clearing strategy in what is "free" software (within certain parameters) I'm likely to stick to Fusion 360 for the forseable future. I've used quite a few other CAD/CAM programs over the years e.g. Vectric, Sketchup, Maya, 3DS Max (and a bunch of game engine 3D packages, some of which are proprietry) and I think Fusion 360 is excellent. Its has some
    challenges, but with almost monthly updates from Autodesk it is getting really good and the integrated CAD to CAM workflow saves a huge amount of time especially when updating models.

Hope that helps.

Chris

19. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Yes it does. I have a friend in a position to get set up and I could not recommend f360 yet.

20. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Awaiting the new video

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.