CNc and peoples names.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Newbcaster, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

How are people creating the files necessary to do people's names and stuff on fretboard?

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

You would use the Text tool in your Cad program. You pick a font and type your text in the area of the drawing you want it to appear. Then you use the Cam program, just like the drawing would need to create the tool path. The letters are broken down into lines and arcs. Then it is just a matter of setting the appropriate tool in the collet.

Bugeater281 and I_build_my_own like this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

One thing to remember about "doing people's names" is that frequently that is done with some sort of pearl inlay. Pearl is usually cut by hand but I know that more and more its being done with a cnc. I would think you would need very good spindle accuracy and special bits for cutting shell and pearl, but I have no experience with cnc. Here is a name inlayed in an ebony pickguard for a 335 clone

IMG_3385.JPG

4. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Word editor of your choice (MS Word or PowerPoint do the trick :)) print into PDF.. free online converter to stl or dxf (don’t recall exactly which one) then import into Cambam

John Nicholas likes this.
  5. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Looked it up: from PDF use an online converter to STL. In CamBam do the toolpath.

John Nicholas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.