1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Clutches disappearing

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by otterhound, Apr 1, 2020.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That's backwards.

Automatics are for commuting to work. When you retire, you buy a manual.

My Mom is not driving right now (age 92, locked down) and she once drove automatics, but not since about 1989. She's convinced she can only drive a manual. I take her out for driving lessons in an automatic and she does fine but she's not at ease.

I think I could get her back driving, after this stuff is over, with an automatic but I expect some push back from her. Rolling on a steep hill terrifies her and yet she's so accustomed to that shifting - as part of the art of driving. I'm hoping, on account of this interruption, she'll sort of re-learn the task altogether.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer ventilated multi plate dry clutches . You know , like on a Ducati .

gregulator450 and boris bubbanov like this.
  3. otterhound

Tell you mom to toot her horn as she passes me .

boris bubbanov and aerhed like this.
  4. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

you have not lived until you've driven a late model ford explorer rwd w a 5 spd in a snow storm.
    that said... can't see it disappearing for sports cars. in fact I don't think you can legally call it a sports car with out a manual transmission. It's the law.
    paddle shifters... pfffft. that's for stupid dummy heads.

stormsedge likes this.
  5. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Overtaken Manual transmissions of what era? What maker? Today's engines and transmissions are ten times what used to be the norm 30 - 40 years ago and as we have read in this thread, U.S.A. isn't making much in the way of a manual transmission anymore. There's a few here and there, my brother's 2013 Mustang has a manual tranny, but with the 500HP Coyote V8, He doesn't get good gas mileage. We would need some daily driver-run of the mill present day cars to compare for this that aren't muscle cars.
    European and Asian makers are making excellent manual transmissions these days, I would lean more to a test of a couple Japanese economy cars in Japan than look at Corvettes, Mustangs and Camaro's. They would need to be driven by regular - seasoned adults for realistic results.
    I can't see a Camaro with a 4 banger getting that kind of mileage with either transmission. Camaro isn't a lite car. Those MPG values listed above are estimated - compared to what exactly? My 2003 4 cylinder/automatic Ranger was estimated to get 22 MPG when I got it. The most I got out of it without the AC running was 20 MPG. With AC, The most I got was 18 MPG. So the tests that are done by certain publishing mags aren't always real - world results.

6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I think you can legally call this a sports car without a manual transmission. And yes, it has paddle shifters that get used 50-70 times per lap. Plus it's actually a hybrid!

7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Not for a while, and especially in the past decade. Car makers have more standardized components if not the vehicles themselves, they aim for optimal fuel economy, emissions and reliability. There is still a niche and some demand for manual transmission vehicles.

8. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I understand the purpose but how many red lights do you have to sit at and how long to even be effective, is there a warm up mode for cold days? Does it idle at all? Can this technology malfunction and turn itself off and not resume function?

I just don’t get that part of it, technology freaks me out sometimes

9. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

Clutches aren’t going away...my car has two:D

10. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

A good euphemism for some life situations: "like stuck in stop & go traffic with a 5 speed manual".

bsman likes this.
  11. otterhound

Of course they are true . Just ask Volkswagen .

Zepfan likes this.
  12. otterhound

I'm with you on this , but Jim Hall needs to be considered . After all , he did install an auto in a race car . A Can AM car , no less .

mistermikev likes this.
  13. boris bubbanov

Smart being a relative term. One moment, I'm trying hard to save gas and then, I've got to make a super fast cut and thrust move to get out of the way of a trucker having problems, or perhaps a sprinting deer - maybe I've just spotted a police officer trying to help by changing a woman's tire. The manual knows what I want. Some of these "smart" automatics like to play games with you.

Zepfan likes this.
  14. boris bubbanov

I will, but it won't do any good. She'd rather eat dirt that honk her horn at anyone. She knows where it is, but won't practice those little friendly beeps.

15. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

And it was a Powerglide wasn't it?

16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

If they wanted to sell cars to everyone... they needed to make them as easy to drive as possible....

otherwise...how would all the less dexterous, uncoordinated, stumblebums get around?...:lol:

verb boten likes this.
  17. ferdtuff

ferdtuff TDPRI Member

JohnnyCab.jpg

18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

You can’t hold your phone and text if you need to shift gears all the time....

verb boten and trev333 like this.
  19. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

My wife resisted an automatic for years, saying she didn’t ‘need’ one and didn’t want to forget how to drive. The thing is she really isn’t a confident driver and drives as little as possible. How having to shift gears, especially when her left hand is slightly disabled, makes it easier I never understood. She recently needed to change her car and, knowing what she wanted and getting it from the local dealer we’ve used for years, we went for a look. To cut a long story short, he had exactly what she wanted at the right price and it was an auto. He took her to a large, empty car park and gave her a driving lesson. She’s never looked back. The chances of her needing to drive a manual in the future are remote and I’m pretty sure she’ll want an auto next time.
    I drive her and my autos but my part-time delivery job uses a manual van. As I tend to drive the van more, I went through a phase in the autos of occasionally stamping on the brakes with my left foot when coming to a stop. Now, though, I don’t seem to have a problem switching from one to the other. My concern now is that the van and my wife’s car are diesel and my car is petrol................have to concentrate at filling time. Think twice, squeeze the trigger once!

boris bubbanov likes this.
  20. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Back in the day my friend had what he called a clutch flight in his 56 chevy drag race car. It was a chrysler auto mated to a clutch. So he had the clutch for the hole shot, and the auto for faster shifting. That was almost 50 years ago, and I'm guessing it was before high stall speed converters.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.