Clutches disappearing

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by otterhound, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Huh? It's a van. Plenty of room in the back for.... dates.

*looks on wistfully*

Where was I? Oh yeah. Oh man I miss my old bus. '71. Last of the type 1 engines. :cry:

uriah1 likes this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It's done to save gas. I drive a hybrid and the engine is shutting off all the time :)

fendertx likes this.
  3. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I sold it some time ago, but this little MX5 was a hoot to run around the Black Hills in. It was great looking, cheap to own and run, and I sold it for what I paid for it. Only 116 hp, but you could go like hell with it in the curvy sections, and in 5th overdrive, it would run down the interstate just fine at 75-80mph. Oh yeah, it had a five-speed manual.
    IMG_20180826_135904809_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180724_085802928_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180721_121851370.jpg

4. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

BTW , we will all soon be driving without any transmission as we know it.
    Electric cars won't need them....,
    2030 there will be no more combustion engines around here
    Check out your favorite vehicle suppliers future strategy.........you might be surprised how soon things will change !

5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have an SLK which I'll be making my last payment on this month. It's 7 speed dual clutch transmission is an engineering masterpiece. I could never time shifts as well. Choose the program and go. It even perfectly times downshifts with pressure on the break pedal in performance mode. I plan on keeping this one until it can no longer be driven. My BMW is on lease. How it does what it does is a mystery. There's a creep in 1st followed by shifts modulated by some sort of internal clutch. Also an engineering marvel. The transmissions in both cars are so good that paddle shifters are redundant. You just can't beat the computer. The BMW goes back next year and I'd like a family car a little smaller that the huge 4 door coupe I have now. I'll probably switch to MB. My wife and I really like the dealership and detest the attitude at BMW. We thought about electric but I'm not sure about running a line to charge it. Maybe we'll ask about that at Tesla.

6. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Got my license in my dad's '65 Mustang convertible standard, and had plenty of standards since, but now for too long have driven Windstar and Caravan vans (I like all the packing space) but my wife still purposely buys sticks including her current '07 Matrix ... each time I occasionally drive it, I get bummed out that I've lost my "touch for the clutch"!

7. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Holic

Aw man. I was hoping the thread was about compact purses.

I’m finally without a manual after nearly 30 years of driving. Sad! My left calf has withered and my right hand has nothing better to do other than hold burgers or fries.

Once my boys are bigger, I’ll pick up a fun project car. Some of my most enjoyable/notable stick shifts:

87 MR2
    93 MR2
    07 S2000
    87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    14 Mustang GT (awful remote shift box :()
    16 Mazda 3. Totally disconnected feeling from driver inputs.

gregulator450 likes this.
  8. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

Thanks to my Kubota I can still grind gears.

9. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I’m confused...

When I drive Mrs Buckocaster’s car with its 6-speed automatic, when I pull up to a stop sign, I can sit there and idle and not crawl forward.

Clearly, there is something disconnecting the crankshaft from the wheels.

Isn’t that the very definition of a clutch?

:)

MickM likes this.
  10. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

As long as I still have some kind of old motorbike then I can still get my shift kicks.

gregulator450 and Wallo Tweed like this.
  11. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Mine is just a Volkswagen, but the same applies - it makes better choices than I would.

12. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I can see my 1992 Audi 80 manual change being worth quite a few times what I paid for it when new petrol/diesel cars are no longer made in a few years time. It's got less than 70,000 miles on it so get saving, guys! Or I might consider swapping it for a '52 Telecaster plus your daughter's hand in marriage. :D

gregulator450 and JL_LI like this.
  13. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

I’m actually a proponent of manual transmission as manual transmission is “technically” more reliable.

Granted one can drive with a heavy foot causing premature wear and tear on the clutch/transmission.

A standard five or six speed manual transmission has less moving parts than an eight speed automatic transmission.

@Jakedog
    That’s indeed true because international countries “manual” or “standard” is the norm.

Jakedog likes this.
  14. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

I'd say 80% of cars in Europe are still manuals

15. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Had to give up shifting because of nerve damage and bad knees or I'd still be shifting.

Manual tranny's are easier to fix until they started putting electronics in them like everything else.

Manual shift usually gets you better gas mileage unless your constantly punching the gas pedal and they are better than automatics when it comes to mud/muck or snow and ice.

16. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

More than that. When I was on tour there in ‘15, we picked up our rental in Turin, Italy. There was an American couple there on their honeymoon also “attempting” to pick up a rental. They were throwing a massive fit because out the acres of rental cars at the airport, not a single one had an automatic trans.

stormsedge likes this.
  17. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

I think all (most) sports cars have moved over to the double clutch automatic simply because they are WAY faster on the track than manuals. Aren't all race cars using the double clutch automatic.

My 911 is still a 6 sp manual though but the PDK transmission is ruling the race scene. Check out Matt Farrar of Smoking Tire on YT. He's racing somewhere in TX and said if he had a road car it would still be manual but for the race course, PDK can't be beat.

18. BigDaddyLH

Is that mileage claim true for modern cars? Once you get 6 or more speeds and a smart automatic transmission, I think it's better than manual in most cases.

bgmacaw likes this.
  19. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Automatics are setup to shift at a certain RPM number for each gear, but in reality, not every engine needs to shift at said number of RPMs. Some need to shift early and some need to shift later. So that can easily be a factor in MPG's along with terrain. A engine that shifts into higher gear because of RPM load going uphill will burn more gas than an engine in low gear to better power thru the load. You can shift the automatic down to compensate for that, but hardly anyone will do that. A manual tranny makes you shift and makes you concentrate on what's going on and how to best operate the vehicle.
    Most people are just too busy to concentrate on what's going on though because of everything else they're trying to do at the time.(phones, music, conversation, etc.)

20. BigDaddyLH

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/five-myths-about-stick-shifts.html

Myth 1. Manual cars always get better fuel economy than cars with automatic gearboxes.
    In the past, it was pretty much a given that vehicles with manual transmissions would be more fuel-efficient than their automatic counterparts. But as modern automatics gained additional gears and relied less on a torque converter, they have now overtaken manuals in terms of fuel economy.

Let's take the 2020 Chevrolet Camaro as an example. With the base four-cylinder engine, the six-speed manual gets an EPA-estimated 23 mpg in mixed driving conditions. The Camaro's automatic transmission, on the other hand, has eight speeds and is estimated to get 25 mpg in mixed driving — an 8.7% improvement.​

bgmacaw and PacificChris like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.