1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Hounded Dog

Hounded Dog TDPRI Member

I've seen these painted. The key is to use a primer. Some people tape off the edges, especially with white guards. It looks pretty good with contrasting edges, IMO.

2. TreblaNitram

TreblaNitram TDPRI Member

I might do that. I actually had very good results painting one of my First-act project's guards black, but I didn't prime just sanded to 320 and put 3 thin coats of black on letting it completely dry between. Turned out way better than expected.

3. Axejock

Axejock NEW MEMBER!

Help! I'm a "stray" from the strat-talk site, but I just picked up a 2004 Squier 51 that is all original except for the control plate and controls (plate, push/pull volume, rotary pickup selector switch). Can anybody advise where I might be able to find these items in decent shape? I really want to keep this thing original. (It currently has a control plate with a volume control mounting hole and a slot for a standard Tele pickup selector switch). It does not fit the pickguard cutout and the selector switch is too tall to let the plate mount properly on the body!

4. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sorry for the late response, I've been distracted by a new job and some new guitars that came my way recently...

Here's a mockup with the new WD pickguard and the Rock Rabbit control plate (3-way, no Tone).

20201125_182059.jpg

Bridge pickup will probably be a TV Jones, and I may reuse the Dimarzio that was in the neck position.

The pickguard is actually glossy, but the protective plastic is still on.

Hounded Dog likes this.
  5. slimfinger

slimfinger TDPRI Member

Does the bridge humbucker in the 2003-2006 Squier '51 have standard pole spacing or is it a special design made for the narrower string spacing these models supposedly have? I want to replace the bridge pickup with a different humbucker, but if it's a one-off model then I supposed that won't work. Or will it? Thanks.

6. Hounded Dog

Hounded Dog TDPRI Member

Chuckster, are you referencing Avril Lavigne's signature Tele? That is so cool! She is awesome.

7. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Actually no, not at all... I just like checkerboard. LOL...

8. Hounded Dog

Hounded Dog TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

Come on, now, Chuckster!

LOL! I was just kidding. Your '51 looks really good. Mine is double black and doing Micawber duty, so it's me that's the fanboy:)

Chuckster likes this.
  9. GT6Bonnet

GT6Bonnet NEW MEMBER!

Hey all,

New member, long term owner!

Here's my Franken51:

I bought her new in late 2006/early 2007 for the princely sum of £110 GBP from Peter Cooks guitars (awesome old shop, now closed for good, I believe).
    I needed a reliable, cheap gigging machine and it served its purpose. All mods were done to make it more stage and studio reliable.

I originally drilled the 51 control plate to add tone but space was a real issue so the Teleplate was added pretty early on and all the pots upgraded to Alphas.
    I wanted more meat from the HB so coughed up the £100 or so for the Jeff Beck SD pickup, so already doubled its cost to me! :)

With constant gigging, tuning became a bit of an issue so swapped out for the ever-reliable Wilkinson EZ-loks, I found them great value for money and a straight swap.

The last big change was to sort out the intonation. I went for the fully adjustable Schaller 3D-6. It has been a great addition and apart from wanting to redo all the wiring and perhaps darken the stain again, I think she's finished... Only took 13 years! Oh wait... maybe I want to change the nut and get better string trees... Uh-oh! It begins again!!!

emisilly, Michael A. and Chuckster like this.
  10. EricRake

EricRake NEW MEMBER!

Hi, just bought a 2004 Indonesian made one but I have a problem! The knob on the volume/push-pull control has come off and I can't replace it. Is there something simple I'm missing or should I just buy a replacement. The shaft is not splined so I'm not sure what I should fit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.