1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Did you check eBay? I am modding one of my 51's and bought a custom control panel from Rock Rabbit... maybe do a search for them as well.

Saw a bunch of brand new black guards on there for $29 too.

2. mortron

mortron TDPRI Member

Thanks, will get on it today. Respect.

Hounded Dog and Chuckster like this.
  3. guitarsammy

guitarsammy Tele-Meister

Just bought one of these (a 2005) and am waiting for it to arrive. It's all original.

I'll see how I get on with the stock bridge and saddles, but of course I know to expect possible issues.

I'd prefer to keep the guitar as un-modded and stock as possible. I'm aware of the Bubba mod, but has anyone tried putting in a set of 6 barrel-type saddles instead of 3? Wouldn't it be possible to do that so that no drilling of new holes would be required?

4. TreblaNitram

TreblaNitram TDPRI Member

Looking to replace the white guard on my '05 '51 burst. Ideally looking for black/white/black. Did some googling, but wondering if anyone has a source they could recommend. I love the guitar but can't abide the white.

77Davey and Chuckster like this.
  5. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Gabrielle84 likes this.
  6. Gabrielle84

Gabrielle84 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

photos when you get it. i would love to see it

7. greatgb99

greatgb99 TDPRI Member

A little off the subject but I finally got a 51 back. I had one several years ago but regretted selling it. So I found a sunburst only about a 30 minute drive away.

Gabrielle84 likes this.
  8. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Holic

I had one years ago. It was ... ok. I used it on a gig one time, then let it go.

On one of the forums back then, there was some guy driving around the country buying them up. It was weird, and a little disturbing. :lol:

9. greatgb99

greatgb99 TDPRI Member

That’s kinda weird. Why would someone do that? Ok, yeah they are a little bit of a unique guitar to have around or to make some fun changes to it. But to drive around the country snagging any one of them he can find!!?? That’s bizarre!

10. 77Davey

77Davey TDPRI Member

That is strange but they have gone way up in price since then. I kind of regret not buying a few more :) I paid like 70 bucks at guitar center for a used 05 burst, pretty normal back then.

11. greatgb99

greatgb99 TDPRI Member

Wow. I just bought an 05 sunburst for $200!

77Davey likes this.
  12. 77Davey

77Davey TDPRI Member

All things considered that is still I nice guitar for not a lot of money. Way of the world, stuff goes up. Supply, demand and most of all a good economy.

13. Felix 51

Felix 51 NEW MEMBER!

Hi, Folks I came here to ask for some help for my sad 51:(
    I bought it to mod and i removed the pickguard cause I didn’t wanted any. But now I wanna build a custom one. Sadly i lost the original pickguard. Is there a print out Template for this pickguard? I know you can buy the pickguard online but I’m a bit short right now and don’t wanna spend 50 bugs on a „Template“.
    Thx and greetings from Berlin

14. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

The body on the 51 is basically the same thing as a Squier Bullet. I don't like the overly large size of the original guard. I used a Bullet pick guard as a pattern and modified it slightly for the 51 control plate. I filled in the unused body holes with some brown and black paint, then some clear. It came out pretty nice.

2007-01-02 13.07.46.jpg

15. Felix 51

Felix 51 NEW MEMBER!

Bro you just made my Day<3

16. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

Glad to help. If you can't find a Squier Strat guard readily, let me know by PM and I'll find my pattern and trace it and then mail it to you.

17. missfortune

missfortune Tele-Meister

EA28E6DD-86EB-47E3-B2B5-76DC9A71F2FD.jpeg Here’s mine: modded with a TV Jones T-Armond pickup, a fatback neck from Best Guitar Parts, and Hipshot locking tuners. It stays mostly in Open G. Yeehaw!

Hounded Dog, slimfinger and Chuckster like this.
  18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Oh, yes, we've tried just about every style of 6 saddle that exists. Almost all have fatal alignment issues. We've tried brass long screws to tweak the alignment, still no go. The string ends up intertwining with the saddle screw and making a racket - or the whole saddle falls apart as vibrations cause height screws to back out and fall and get lost.

I'm the Bubba in the Bubba mod, but I saw the 3 hole, 3 barrel solution tried before me by a guitarist from Indiana I think. It has been a long time ago and may have been on another type of guitar. Better to call me the #1 promoter or cheerleader.

You know this stock Squier 51 bridge did basically work all right on a Squier Affinity Special. If one looks carefully at the differences in the two guitars, there's some clues as to what else could be tried. The Affinity Special has a real shallow neck pocket cut - this elevates the neck and generates some precious changes in geometry back there at the bridge where the stock saddle and string are sort of woven together like chain mail. Other people recommend a shim.

Think about using a really fat string gauge. 12-52. And think about getting your intonation without ever touching an electronic tuner. See, the "problem" with Squier 51s in stock form is two fold: One, they're an inherently "traishy" sounding guitar and Two, using an e-tuner to set intonation is a frustrating mess. So you could intonate by ear after putting on fat strings, and put some thread lock on all the fasteners in the 6 saddles, and just play the thing and don't sweat over the buzzes and so on.

Hounded Dog likes this.
  19. slimfinger

slimfinger TDPRI Member

I have an early 2000s '51 that I bought when they came out as a backup guitar that I never used. Recently I pulled it from storage and have two questions for' 51 experts here.

1) What's the value of the stock vol pot, 250 or 500? Planning to replace the pickups and need to know.

2) Has anyone tried dropping tele-style bridge saddles into the bridge plate? Any mods needed beyond drilling 3 holes in the bottom lip?

Thanks.

Chuckster likes this.
  20. Tigerace

Tigerace NEW MEMBER!

Anyone know the fretboard radius for the 2004 squire 51? 9.5?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.