CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Jimmy Duncan

Jimmy Duncan TDPRI Member

Hi Borris, Did you have to use a file to smooth the newly drilled holes at all?

2. Jimmy Duncan

Well....it happened. I had only one (my first ‘51), as of a couple months ago. Now, they’re multiplying. A 2004 model now in the house & I’m blown away again. The previous owner put flatwound strings on it (very interesting to play on for the first time). It is soooo... yellow, like grey poupon mustard! Anyone know what genre flatwounds cater to, or are desired for? The neck plays like melted butter. I plugged it in (it has it’s original pickups), & holy cow...I don’t see why anyone would want to change them out. The range of tones is...damn! The tones themselves are....hot damn! It has been played a bit & isn’t pristine (so less fear of leaving it out), but it’s well broken in & will be further relict by some bonding time & wear. It arrived with a few dings up in the high register, on the fat e string’s frets. I’m debating to keep it & repair it myself, or send it back since it is the rarest of the earliest models (2004 with white pick guard). I thought to keep it since the location of the minor damage is at a spot on the fretboard where I rarely go on the fat e. What say you?

Attached Files:

3. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

That's definitely a keeper... good score.

4. Jimmy Duncan

I learned three things about ‘51’s today....#1) if your stock 3-way selector is a little stiff...don’t use a flathead screwdriver to bend/pry the plates apart to try & make room. That is a single ball bearing (between the flat plates), that can fall out & will be a huge pain the put back in between the plates. I used a very small dab of Plummer’s waterproof grease on the ball bearing & contact points, to help it turn a little smoother. For those of you looking to replace the selector switch back to the original 3-way dial switch, it is an “Alpha” brand potentiometer #”3I2”, I think they meant “312”, not sure.

Attached Files:

5. Jimmy Duncan

#2....I think the folks at the Squire plant coated the potentiometer cavities with noise/hum cancelling metallic paint (it’s kinda chalky black). Anyone know?

Attached Files:

6. Jimmy Duncan

#3....the control knobs can be fragile because they are metal on the outside, but ALL plastic on the inside (no mounting screw at all). So they can be easily worn out if you take them off too much. Fun stuff! “\m/“

Attached Files:

7. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Now it looks like this IMG_0127.PNG

8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Use an ohm meter and measure resistance between any two points of that paint. If conductive then it is shielding some.
    Glad to see shielded cable to the jack.
    If you want to cut noise further, get a roll of Nashua aluminum flashing tape (will be in the HVAC area of the store) and line the cavities.

Jimmy Duncan likes this.
  9. Jimmy Duncan

T
    They do not, I just bought a GFSbridge to test that theory & no go. The saddle screw holes don’t line up

10. rob5755

rob5755 Tele-Holic

Any idea why these guitars are going for $550-700USD + $75-125 for shipping on eBay from Japan? They're still the Made in Indonesia versions, NOT the Japan-made and discontinued Pawn Shop 51 guitars either.

I want the Tele sound without paying an outrageous price for a custom Tele body with forearm and tummy contours. Would rather mod a 51, but $575 for an Indonesian Squier and $65 for shipping?!?!?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  11. rob5755

rob5755 Tele-Holic

PITY BUMP

12. igogusto

igogusto NEW MEMBER!

New member here, first post not sure if this the right place to post this.
    Purchased a Squier '51 tonight. Nuce guitar. I noticed that there is no serial # on the back of the headstock. It was not sanded off that I can tell and it has a weird sticker on the back horn with A. G. S. and a number. I've never seen a '51 with that type of S/N sticker before. Anyone seen anything like that? 1224192012.jpg

Attached Files:

13. mortron

mortron TDPRI Member

Checking in from the North!

Have an original run '51 in Black with a few mods and a bunch of wear and tear. It's in pieces at the moment as my attempts to replace the original pickups failed when the Humbucker wouldn't give me a reading on one of the wires. So I've got some work to do.

The mods so far are:

- new nut
    - GFS Bridge
    - Gotoh Tuners in Black (I had them sitting around)
    - Removed the white pickguard
    - Switchcraft output jack

It's sitting there gutted of its electronics, just shielding tape and am going to put a Mighty Mite Motherbucker I have laying around into the bridge spot and leave the neck empty for now. The stock neck pickup should be in tact, but cannot locate it. Hopefully I will have it together by weeks end and then I plan to address the following over time:

- Replace Humbucker with something quality
    - Possibly replace neck pickup... Have a Seymour Duncan APS-1 pickup I could use. Or remove it.
    - Find a black factory pickguard somehow, or if I forego neck PU, make one without the cutout.
    - Straplock buttons for my strap.
    - Maybe change out screw hardware to all black, but i could care less about the chrome/black mix for now.

Other than that, the neck is the best and I love the thin hardtail Strat body. Only wish I bought one in each colour and didn't molest the helloutta this one. And I also blame this '51 for turning me on to Tele's. And as I've heard, we all come around to a Tele in time!

Chuckster likes this.
  14. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

I got my 51 before I got my first tele.
    Mine is the first run also, it's a sunburst. I'm not happy with the p'ups on mine either, especially the humbucker. I'm planning to put a bootstrap pickup in that spot. I have an old Silverstone, Sears guitar with the Danelectro lipstick pickup. I have toyed with the idea of putting it in the neck, but can't make up my mind. Good luck on your mod. Post a pic when you get it finished.

Chuckster likes this.
  15. mortron

mortron TDPRI Member

I am looking at the idea of getting a pair of Tele pickups. The humbucker I have is a PITA, gonna save my APS1, and have found myself falling for the Tele sound. I know I wont get it totally with the '51, it should be a push in the right direction. That said, I may go Esquire and do a bridge only. Just gotta find some nice cheap pickups. Guitar Madness looks tempting, but they don't have chrome Tele sets in stock at the moment, and am still looking at alternatives.

It would also appear I have one of the '51s that have a slightly off center humbucker rout, so making a custom plate for a Tele pickup would be a double win, as I can address the alignment issue.

Chuckster likes this.
  16. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Got some custom lettering on my 51.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chuckster likes this.
  17. Tigerace

Tigerace NEW MEMBER!

Hello all. I’m new to the world of guitar, only been playing for 5 months, but loving it. I have my Father’s 1973 Martin 000-18, and his 1965 Gibson SJ acoustic guitars I’ve been learning on. Was gifted a 2 year old Fender Duo-Sonic a month ago, and today Dental Supply Rep brings me this beauty. It’s a 2004. Hasn’t been played in 10 years and looks like it’s new out of the box. In researching this guitar today I ran across your board. Thought I’d post a picture of it.

Attached Files:

18. TreblaNitram

TreblaNitram TDPRI Member

Welcome to the club! have fun catching up on the thread, there's some neat stuff in here.

Tigerace likes this.
  19. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Meister

917CFBEF-2D29-470F-BE0D-1E5071FC4710.jpeg

This is my modded Squier 51. Tort pickguard was from a GuitarFetish closeout, and a Kmise rail humbucker replaced the ceramic neck pickup. I wired the coil-splitting volume pot to coil-split both the bridge and neck humbuckers. I considered replacing the rotary pickup selector, but decided to leave it as is. I like the thin neck; it’s reminiscent of my Hagstrom II.

I bought it along with two others from Overstock when they were blowing them out for $69 USD each. The other two were black with white pickguards. One went to my daughter-in-law and the other went to my good friend and jam buddy as Christmas gifts. They both loved, and still love, these high-value instruments.

Chuckster likes this.
  20. mortron

mortron TDPRI Member

Is there any replacement for the control plate available? Mine is torn up a bit, and trying to return the electronics to stock.

As well, where does a guy like me find a nice black OG style pickguard without having to get one made custom? If I find my white one, would someone want to trade for their black one?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.