CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

Thanks, but simply wondering how the '04-'06 ones compare to the newer ones. Are there any differences? Neck profile comparison? Overall quality comparison? Were the old ones "better" or are the newer ones just as good?
    Thanks again.

2. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

I remember that the bridge humbucker on the newer ones is way hotter than the originals. Color selection was different too. Beyond that, I don't remember what the differences are.

Gabrielle84 likes this.
  3. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

Cool. Looks like they are pretty comparable in terms of quality.
    Newer ones are string through.
    Newer ones have a slight tint to the neck.
    Newer ones come in Red and NOT in black.
    I don't think there are any other differences.

Gabrielle84 likes this.
  4. SmattaHead

SmattaHead TDPRI Member

Joined the club after lusting for a 51 for years. Considering the common mods. Plenty of ideas here. Thx to all contributors. Rock on

TreblaNitram likes this.
  5. Stereo Jeff

Stereo Jeff TDPRI Member

IMG_2225.JPG Just acquired this 2005 "Blonde" original, no mods, excellent condition, from the original owner. Surprised to find it has a 2-piece maple neck (separate maple fingerboard). I won't be able to "play around" with it for a while but I'm sure looking forward to it. I wish these were available as lefties but it's all good. Thinking of some very basic mods; pick guard, switch, knobs - reversible type things. The neck feels great but the nut is way too high. Seems like a great value at $175.

Ippon, Chuckster and TreblaNitram like this.
  6. TreblaNitram

TreblaNitram TDPRI Member

Looks like some flame on the fretboard? Sweet find. I gave mine to my sister after she fell in love with it, now I need another.

7. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

Does it seems weird that I have a 2015 Sunburst that is a top loader? Not string through....
    I was under the impression that the newer, vintage modified ones were all string through.
    Thanks for any info.

8. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

Is anyone interested in a pick guard trade? I have a white guard from a 2015 'Burst, looking for a black one.
    Anyone? Bueller?

Thanks.

9. Stereo Jeff

Stereo Jeff TDPRI Member

I wouldn't call it flame but there is a lot of grain and figure in the fretboard. Needs a good cleaning as well! I just purchased a new control plate from RockRabbit which will allow the use of a "blade" type switch vs the rotary one. Not going crazy on this - just a few simple mods coming.

10. Stereo Jeff

Stereo Jeff TDPRI Member

11. SmattaHead

SmattaHead TDPRI Member

So I’ve had my Tuxedo 51 for a week now. There are some holes in the body from a prior owner mounting something to the face, perhaps a Bigsby style term or something, and there are some scratches. Other than cosmetics the guitar is nice. I tightened all the hardware screws throughout which made a difference. I love the chunky neck and the PO has stripped the neck removing all gloss/stain from headstock and back of neck which I like.

Overall, I think this thing is a bargain for 150 which included shipping. I want to wait on mods as the electrics work fine. The pickup switching and lack of tone pot will take some getting used to but it puts out some classic fender sounds. I dont like that the selector pot spins past the designated stops. Probably my biggest interest is to swap out the bridge for vintage 3saddle or do the bubba mod. I find palm muting difficult with the stock bridge. Otherwise very happy with my acquisition. The 51 will be joining my strat and telecaster for gig duty once I have it to my liking

Chuckster likes this.
  12. mflores

mflores TDPRI Member

Joined the club yesterday. Seller stated volume knob was not working and wanted $100. I offered $75 and they accepted. I came home and found that a wire had come unsoldered from the volume pot. Resoldered and good as new. She sings beautifully. Not sure if I want to mod it yet.

Attached Files:

Ippon, Chuckster, Bobby73 and 4 others like this.
  13. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

Glad you like it! Actually the neck came without any stain or gloss on it. Pretty much nekkid wood. That turned some people off, but it was a major feature for me. I can't stand a glossy, sticky finish on a guitar neck.

14. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

Chuckster likes this.
  15. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

Thanks for the heads up on the plate. I didn't know someone was making them. The switch should be fine. Any Telecaster wiring diagram should do the trick. Just ignore the tone pot.

16. SmattaHead

SmattaHead TDPRI Member

I took the 51 to a session and couldn’t get it to stay in tune. Then tried graphite at the nut and tightening the tuners to no avail. So I ordered a new graph tech nut and a set of Wilkinson tuners. I also ordered the Wilkinson half bridge with the three barrel string thingys. Will post pics when I get there. Still love the 51 but needs some improvements

TreblaNitram likes this.
  17. TreblaNitram

TreblaNitram TDPRI Member

I haven't had any issues with the stock tuners, though I was impressed with the quality of the wilks I put on another guitar. I also ordered the half bridge but didn't realize it required drilling, and as I don't have a drill press I haven't put it on yet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TDPRI forum mobile app

18. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

How did the control plate and switch work for you?
    I ordered the same parts, but now i'm nervous that the switch wont fit in the cavity.

Thanks!

19. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

Has anybody replaced the Humbucker with a single coil of some sort and put a Telecaster switch in with a tone control? That would be interesting. Maybe a good project for the winter..

20. Terbo40

Terbo40 NEW MEMBER!

Here's my offering, GFS pro series HB and a Dimarzio Area T, upgraded bridge & tuners, push\pull for out of phase & in-series, I use it as my alt tuning\slide guitar, it sounds great actually.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Ippon, Chuckster and TreblaNitram like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.