CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. MadRocker

MadRocker Tele-Meister

I'd say "local", because I bought it online, but not overseas. :D It travelled about 400 miles to me, from the previous owner.

Paid 150€ for it. It's a pretty cheap price here in Finland for that guitar, in so good condition.

Serial number starts with 04, so I think it's 2004 model? I'm I right?

Chuckster likes this.
  2. BearNotes

BearNotes TDPRI Member

Ok you have the cult classic guitar Squier Vintage Modified 51. Now, you need the other cult classic Bugera V5 amp to practice at home with your 51!

Sent from my B1-730 using TDPRI mobile app

ifallalot likes this.
  3. C.SCAN

C.SCAN TDPRI Member

I have a DiMarzio PAF Master (4 wire), I put in the bridge. Any idea how to wire it? I did, but something isn’t right.

4. C.SCAN

C.SCAN TDPRI Member

Anyone???

5. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

6. TreblaNitram

TreblaNitram TDPRI Member

1514492097339.jpg

I joined the club. Found this '05 burst, very good condition, a few light scratches and a small nick on the back of the headstock. Picked it up for $100 at a pawn shop. I'm digging it so far.

I'd like to trade someone for the black guard if possible. Otherwise I'm thinking the Wilkerson half-tele bridge, a tusq nut, and upgrade whatever else as it shows wear.

After all I've read here, I was surprised to note that while fairly substantial, the '51 neck is not quite so fat as my beloved Vintage Modified Thinline tele.

Gabrielle84 likes this.
  7. C.SCAN

C.SCAN TDPRI Member

Figured it out, but thanks. But, the middle position sounds off...is it possible that there is a phase issue? If so, how would that be remedied?

8. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

Yep. Probably phase. Just reverse the hot and ground leads of one of the pickups. In other words, put the hot lead where the ground is now and vice versa. It'd probably be easier with the neck pickup since it will only have two leads.

C.SCAN likes this.
  9. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Congrats. I would have traded you but I found a burst and swapped them then sold the burst. FWIW and IMO the blonde white guard and burst black guard are best color combos.

A black with black guard is cool too. Good luck and don’t give up. It looks great, almost like an SRV strat

10. TreblaNitram

No worries, I'll order one eventually if I have to. I prefer the black on all of them, at least until the white starts to yellow.

11. TreblaNitram

So I'm about to order a Wilkinson half-tele bridge, and I got to wondering... Why was this guitar designed with the narrower string spacing? Cheaper bridges? Assumption that it might be a younger kids first real guitar? It's a pretty fat neck for that to make much sense. Thoughts? Pretty sure I want to change it, but curious.

emisilly likes this.
  12. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

Picked up another '51 to go along with Dusty (page 53)... This one is a sunburst that's all original. When I got Dusty, I kinda wished it hadn't been modded (poorly), so I started looking for one that was unmolested. I found this on on Craigslist locally for a little more than I wanted to pay ($175). Dusty only set me back $60.

20180116_214526.jpg

I don't know much about it other than that it's an '05 and the previous owner must have owned one mutha of a belt buckle. The rash is kind of a bummer but I guess it's still in great shape for a 12-year-old budget guitar. Hopefully some of the smaller scratches will buff out. This '51 has a different bridge than Dusty too.

20180116_215615.jpg

The plan for this one is a good cleaning, new pickguard screws, new strap buttons, a name, and probably a new Decoboom pickguard. The plan for Dusty is a Decoboom, a Duncan Hot Rail on the neck and maybe some sort of a gold foil on the bridge.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Gabrielle84 and emisilly like this.
  13. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

Duplicate

14. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

That is the GFS offset bridge, also available from other vendors on Ebay. It overcomes the occasionally buzzy effect of the stock bridge configuration with the strings pushing the saddles up and down at the same time, and should achieve a better string break angle.

Stereo Jeff, emisilly and Chuckster like this.
  15. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

Good to know... so are you saying this one is not original from the factory? I may try to hunt one down for Dusty as well. Seems to be a better quality.

16. Michael A.

Chuckster likes this.
  17. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

The GFS warehouse is about 4 minutes from where I'm sitting right now, but apparently they don't allow visitors/walkup service. Boo.

I did look around on eBay but no one seems to have the specs listed; I want to buy an exact fit - I don't want to re-drill.

I need to buy a few other things from GFS so maybe I'll just grab one there... thanks for the info, man!

18. Michael A.

19. bruno_nada

bruno_nada TDPRI Member

I bought this one 17 days ago. It's from 2004. It has a tone knob, a pickup selector (3 possitions, no coil split), dimarzio at 1 on the bridge, stock neck pickup. But I'd like to change the pickups to get a clean telecaster sound for math rock. Custom shop Texas special tele pickups? Noiseless tele pickups? Any recommendations?

Attached Files:

emisilly and TreblaNitram like this.
  20. csotolongo

csotolongo TDPRI Member

2B6806F2-706B-4EF3-8B00-5A23F6457860.jpeg Hey, glad I found this thread! I bought a newer ‘51 about 6 months ago. Love the guitar, not completely sold on the bridge pickup but I love the coil tap.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.