CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

Was the paint from rattle cans? Looks nice, regardless.

Gabrielle84 likes this.
  2. Gabrielle84

Gabrielle84 Tele-Meister

Yes, I did. How'd you guess?

3. Gabrielle84

Gabrielle84 Tele-Meister

Yes, how'd you guess?

4. messhead

messhead Tele-Meister

Yes. Duplicolor touch up paint. I’ve never done a body with it, but I’ve matched a few black head sticks with it in the past. This was my first guard. We’ll see how it holds up, but it seems pretty tough.

5. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

Jeff is a good friend of mine, and my former boss. I was planning to buy the guitar you bought, but I found Dusty in the meantime.

If anyone else in Northeast Massachusetts is looking for a used Squire, Jeff has plenty of them and is a solid guy. I can vouch for his character and I owe him so much for all he has done for me professionally. Glad you got Sasha from him.

Gabrielle84 likes this.
  6. Gabrielle84

Gabrielle84 Tele-Meister

He is a great guy. I enjoyed just chatting with him. He led me to some great websites and gave me solid directions as to how to improve my playing.

Chuckster likes this.
  7. smartwarrior

smartwarrior TDPRI Member

Looking for a wiring harness for 2005 '51. I'd even take some recommendations for upgraded pots if I can't find an original.

8. mesatone01

mesatone01 TDPRI Member

When I built mine I bought a 3 hole plate and a pre-wired harness from GuitarFetish.com. It had a 3 way Gibson style toggle with one volume and one tone. I had also used two of the GFS pickups they sell with the quick connects (plug and play) a lil killer in the front and a mean 180 Humbucker in the bridge.

Chuckster likes this.
  9. smartwarrior

mesatone01, thank you. Did you have to rout the body to make it fit? I saw a plate on one of my searches, and I thought it required routing.

10. mesatone01

mesatone01 TDPRI Member

IMG_0782.JPG IMG_0783.JPG IMG_0784.JPG IMG_0785.JPG IMG_0786.JPG No routing needed. These bodies are basswood and super soft which was my only beef with these guitars . If you do any drilling be uber careful. I didn't like the softness when I mounted the bridge I used or when I mounted my neck. I had read where others had problems with screw coming loose over time with use. Here's a trick that worked for me. I found some hardwood maple dowels in various sizes. I then drilled out the the holes at the mounting points for my bridge and inserted the dowels with wood glue and cut them of flush with the body. The next day I drilled for the size screws I was using. The bridge plate covered the dowels and made the mount solid as a rock. I did the same thing with the neck mounting holes and used smaller dowels at the pickguard screws.
    I found my gold control plate here @ http://basspartsresource.com/bpickguard_jazzcontrolplates.htm.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Gabrielle84 likes this.
  11. smartwarrior

She's a beauty! You used the TBCP-3C control plate? Did you send it to Guitar Madness to have it prewired or did you do it yourself? Thanks for your patience with a rookie.

12. smartwarrior

Just noticed that you said gold plate, so the one I listed is the chrome version. Just want to make sure that's the right plate.

13. mesatone01

mesatone01 TDPRI Member

They have the control plate in both finishes. I used a pre-made harness from GuitarFetish.
    Kwikplug Universal Two HB Coil Tap Wiring Harness- PRE-SOLDERED Drop-In
    Part Number:KPW17
    Here's a nice harness that can be used on SO MANY guitars that have two humbuckers and three holes, like most of our 2HB Strat and Tele bodies. This is Volume/Tone, using 500K pots with a .022uf cap. The toggle switch mounts inthe same cavity with volume and tone, and there is a Kwikplug equipped removable output jack so this will work even on Strat style 2H bodies where the output jack is in a different part of the guitar body. We have added a single Push-Pull pot that switches BOTH pickups to single coil- even better we have wired it so in the middle position both single coils are noise cancelling! PRE-SOLDERED and a complete PLUG-In when using ANY of our Kwikplug Equipped single coil Bass pickups. An included crimp connector allows for simple SOLDERLESS installation of the ground wire that typically is connected to the bridge

Direct Guitarfetish Price
    $23.95
    On sale$19.95

Gabrielle84 likes this.
  14. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

This is amazing info, and here's the best part: I had never heard of Guitar Fetish before and I want to customize my '51, and they sre located 5 minutes from where I work!

Thank you Smartwarrior and Mesatone01!

Gabrielle84 likes this.
  15. smartwarrior

Thanks Mesatone01! I appreciate the help.

16. smartwarrior

That could be dangerous (or expensive) Chuckster. :)

Chuckster likes this.
  17. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Their proximity will only help you pay slightly less shipping. They don't allow visitors. I was visiting nearby Medway and wanted to buy a specific Strat body. I said I could come by and meet an employee at the entrance at a stated time, OK the body, and pay before driving home to VA. They wouldn't allow it, "we're not set up for walk-ins". That lack of assistance to a customer has deterred me from buying from them again.

Chuckster likes this.
  18. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

Yeah, I noticed that right after I posted... bummer.

19. MadRocker

MadRocker Tele-Meister

I'm in!

Wanted it for years and just bought my first '51

After few hours filing the fret ends it became very nice!

Love it.

1513808126495.jpg

20. Gabrielle84

Gabrielle84 Tele-Meister

Nice '51! Local or online?

Chuckster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.