CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. comebackkid

comebackkid Tele-Meister

Here it is 'live'...

emisilly and Prettyzeeko like this.
  2. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Thanks! Ultra cool art, I love it! The closer photos reveal all the faces in the design. Great job, and great playing! Impressive all around!

comebackkid likes this.
  3. comebackkid

comebackkid Tele-Meister

Thanks for the kind words!

4. Sooper8

Sooper8 Tele-Holic

Hi 51 owners!
    I have owned various Squire's over the years but never seen this one before. I am looking at a used one for sale at the moment (in the UK).
    How is the thickness of the neck compared to CV's?
    What would be the upper and lower price range on a reasonable but nowhere near perfect example of one?
    thanks in advance

5. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The older 51s (from the mid 2000s, before they were discontinued) have nice fat necks, quite a bit fatter than the typical CV. I think they're tremendously comfortable.

I bought one in excellent shape late last year for US$100. Reverb.com has the estimated price range at US$120-220, but I wouldn't pay more than $150; that's about what I paid for a new one back in 2007.

6. Sooper8

Sooper8 Tele-Holic

Thanks for that Basher!

7. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

According to Wiki here are the made dates

2003 - 2006 (Squier) - The Original, basswood body with maple chunky C shaped neck (think vintage 50's teles) some were one piece, others had a maple fret board capping a maple neck. Upgrades need on this which I did, bridge and wiring with full size pots. Made all the difference. I also eliminated the knob that switches the pups and added a switch and tone control but kept the coil split. Great guitar. Originally started out I believe around the $199 price point, came down all the way to $69 through some of the bigger retailers (I got mine for $99 out the door).
    2011 - 2013 (Fender) - This was the re-issue with Fender badges part of their Pawn Shop series. They were priced above $500 and their reception was luke warm as they killed production in two years. Many thought that since the original squiers were selling so fast Fender tried to jump on the bandwagon with a Fender issued model. From what I heard it was not much better than the originals which you could pick up for less than $200.
    2013 - Present (Squier Vintage Modified) - Remake of the original, although I have heard the necks are not as good as the originals (I think they are more like the CV series neck on the Teles). They also addressed the weak part of the bridge and I believe made it string through.

Price points:

Original - $100 - $500 ( the high end for the TV Yellow with white guard - they only made a few of those)
    Fender Pawn Shop Series (haven't seen any for sale for a while but I would not go above $250 for one)
    Present VM Squiers- retail at $199 new.

8. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Just another point
    to tell the original 03-06 versus the reissued 2013 on models, look at the back. The newer models are all string through.

syrynx likes this.
  9. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

If you are thinking about one of the recent Squier VM 51 models, get it wherever you can find one you like. They were discontinued in fall of 2016.

10. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Well, I'm back. Years ago I had a 51 but ended up selling it. Wish I hadn't. Scored one this morning for $100 along with a 20w Cube amp and a Mojomojo pedal (helluva deal!).

The 51 needs some love, so I have some questions for y'all:

1. In the attached pics, does everything look stock? Bridge, pots, pickups?

2. One fret hangs up the string when bending. Not bad, but enough that I need to deal with it. Can I lightly file the burr? I'm not going to do any sort of shop-based fretwork right now, so I need a DIY approach (I have little repair experience).

3. I also got a SD Hot Rails that I'm thinking of putting in the neck, and I'd like to have a Super Distortion for the bridge. If anyone has any idea how those compare to the stock pickups, I'd be curious.

Thanks for any help on these questions. I'm thrilled to be back with a 51 and looking forward to giving it the love it deserves!

Attached Files:

11. 77Davey

77Davey TDPRI Member

Hell of a deal! I am sure those pups will be an improvement.

12. scifilullaby

scifilullaby NEW MEMBER!

Hi, just bought an indonesian '04 VB 51 in pristine condition and love it already! I read somewhere that some necks are one-piece maple and some are maple fretboard laminate on maple neck but I can't find any photos anywhere comparing the two necks..

IMG_7506.jpg

IMG_7507.jpg

IMG_7508.jpg

IMG_7509.jpg

IMG_7513.JPG

emisilly likes this.
  13. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Congrats. I have one of each. Yours looks like the maple cap neck but I couldn't expand the pic on my phone. The one piece I have is an 05 with more of a satin finish and the cap is an 06 with more poly to it.

14. 77Davey

77Davey TDPRI Member

Looks like a one piece to me. You can normally see it right away looking at the headstock by the truss.

15. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

I think you're right. I got the pic to blow up and I can't see the line between the fretboard and the neck.

I don't think it matters either way. I think Boris said there were more or less equally good/bad of each in the first run. It looks like a nice guitar and a rare unmolested example at that.

16. Phantom59

Phantom59 NEW MEMBER!

Hi Guys, I've been playin' Tele's for years, but I'm new here. Please be gentle if I breach etiquette. I have recently become very interested in the Squire '51's! However, I'm wondering if a '69 Telecaster Thinline Pickguard fit fit on a '51 (aka. Fender Pawn Shop '70s Stratocaster)? Of course, I realize the holes would not line up and would have to be filled, however, my concern is whether or not the thinline pickguard will cover up the control cavity route. Thanks in advance!

17. comebackkid

comebackkid Tele-Meister

Here are some more videos I did with the guitar recently.

18. Noisegate

Noisegate NEW MEMBER!

Squier 51.jpg Here's my 2005 Squier 51 - all stock except the volume knob. Maple neck with a maple cap and white pickguard. Paid $75 - can't keep it outta my hands!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    hellopike and emisilly like this.
  19. CQJR1962

CQJR1962 TDPRI Member

Well, looks like i'm getting mine this coming monday, stickers still on the pickguard, this guy has 2, he decided to sell the '05, cant wait to get it and plug it in !!

brbadg and emisilly like this.
  20. blackspider57

blackspider57 Tele-Meister

Well, after keeping it on their website and constantly pushing the ship date, Musicians Friend has finally removed the 51.

Sweet water still has few, but after that no more.
    It's a good and unique guitar,
    and for the money I say "Great Value".

I think I might of gotten one of the last sunbursts back in March,
    and continue to enjoy it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.