CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. pstguitars

pstguitars NEW MEMBER!

She turned out nice looking Jerry!!

2. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

Got this today. An 05 burst to go with my 06 blonde. I always thought the blonde would look better with a white guard and burst with a black guard. Totally stock. I actually bought it intending to flip but a bone stock 51 is getting rare. Lol. Like it will ever be worth more than 1-150.

3. Somerled

Somerled TDPRI Member

The funny thing is that hardly ANY first run '51's seem to come up for sale, and let's be honest, you are not going to sell one for 1-150 USD , GBP, EUR, CAD, MYR or whateva are you? I certainly won't be selling my 05 '51.....I love it too much.

hemmings likes this.
  4. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

I see them maybe once a year at reasonable: bargain prices. Otherwise there are normally around 150. This one was too good to pass up. I really intended to flip it but now looking it over the neck has a really cool cap with some Birdseye in it. My plan is to swap the pick guards with the blonde andeither do a Bubba mod on this bridge or just get a new bridge

I'm thinking maybe I should swap necks too.

5. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    Here's my 06 again. After comparing necks I think I'll leave them. The blonde neck feels slightly more full and edges feel more rolled.

The burst neck's frets are a little sharp and the 18th or 19th fret in the d frets out but that should all be solvable. I really like the look of both guitars now. I'll get a new pickguard ring for the blonde but I'm a firm believer in sticking to 3 or less colors [​IMG]

I need to pull the pickups on the blonde anyway. These two guitars are a year apart. May 05 and May 06. The pickguard screws don't line up perfectly. The 05 burst has a thicker maple slab board neck and the back is satin. The 06 has thinner slab and light gloss poly type finish on neck.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  6. Joancarlo

Joancarlo NEW MEMBER!

Hi everyone! I am new here and have been watching this forum for quite a while. I am really impressed by the mods and stuff posted by all. I used to own 2 Squier 51's, an '04 and '05, and really liked them. Due to having too many guitars at a time, I stupidly decided to sell them. In a recent moment of remorse I bought a new '14 model and may I say I really like it. The guitar came in mint condition and got it for $150. Best part, the neck! it has a fairly good amount of flame all over it! does this happen a lot? Anyways, I am a really happy camper with this new guitar.

Attached Files:

7. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Well, it happened! I finally got a successful paint job on '51 mod project, I started ( ) years ago! I think six, but it could be longer! Hoping to have it up and running in the next week or so. Pictures will follow!
    What I learned from this experience is that I love to play guitars, not mod them. It's too much like work!

syrynx, emisilly and 77Davey like this.
  8. hemmings

hemmings Tele-Meister

Nice guitar, but gorgeous neck.
    Well done.

9. Victor 51

Victor 51 TDPRI Member

It looks like I got here a little late for the party but I have to show my '51 off to somebody. I've actually had "Victor" for a good while now. The original owner had overtightened the trust rod so bad that I didn't think the neck would ever recover. I started backing it off and weighting it for a couple days between tweaks until,to my surprise I got the neck flat again. I didn't even know what the guitar was called until I got it playable and realized there was something special about it. After some research I found out that I had a 2004 butterscotch blonde with the white pick guard. The pick guard was the first thing to go. I've read that the white guard '04 is the most desirable model, but this thing will probably be buried with me so resale value means nothing to me. The clip that holds the shaft in the push/pull pot in place gave up the ghost not long after I got it playable. Since I don't care for coil splits and I'm a left hander, I've decided to leave the knob/shaft "removable" until it stops working. This way I don't have to worry about bumping it while I'm playing. As you can probably tell by my avatar , I'm a huge Stones/Keef fan so I decided to make "Victor" my 5 string open G guitar. So far I've upgraded the bridge and installed a set of locking tuners that I got from the fine folks at Guitarfettish. I've seen pictures of a lot of blondes and I've noticed some were actually blonde, but some were the same ugly "deep tan" as mine. I decided since I have no intentions of ever getting rid of this guitar that ugly color had to go. I discover that a with little time and some 1000 grit sand paper, there was a pretty blonde color just below the clear coat. I was intending to spray a light coat of satin clear coat but after looking at it for a few days I decided that the duller finish gives the guitar a classy "worn in" look so it's staying as is. The next mod will be a black control plate and knobs to complete the "blackout" look. I haven't decided for sure if I want to upgrade the pickups or not. The more I play it the more I think not. So, that's the story of how a guitar that I initially had $40 in became my favorite in the quivver. Don't hate her because she's beautiful!!! :)

Attached Files:

hellopike and 77Davey like this.
  10. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

@Victor 51 , I love the look of your '51! Thanks for posting.

And you may find, as I and many other '51 owners have, that replacing pickups does not necessarily mean upgrading pickups. I'm very happy with the stock pickups in my '05.

Victor 51 likes this.
  11. Victor 51

Victor 51 TDPRI Member

Thanks Syrynx. Right now I can't imagine I'll be changing pickups any time soon, but you know how g.a.s. can be sometimes. :)

12. Victor 51

Victor 51 TDPRI Member

Does anyone know how to safely remove the pickup selector knob on a '51? I've never seen one that seemed to be as stubborn as this one. I there's a good chance the previous owner got a little rough and pulled the shaft out of the volume pot. It came out the first or second time I pulled it. As I mentioned above, he surely didn't have any reservations about tightening a truss rod until stopped moving.

13. 77Davey

77Davey TDPRI Member

14. Isaac51

Isaac51 TDPRI Member

Just strung up 'freya'

IMG_0666.JPG IMG_0673.JPG IMG_0677.JPG

After buying American vintage saddles for the original baseplate I realised they were overcrowded so ordered a fender hardtail bridge assy from fender through the local shop. After waiting 4+ months for this item to arrive I only today realised that the string thru holes obviously don't line up either.

So I have just spent the past two hours filing down the sadddles to fit the original baseplate. Fingers covered in small cuts and blistered but all in all I'm happy I did it. Looks lovely and can't wait to gig it all throughout may.

Full list of mods:

Light relic on body and neck
    American vintage saddles
    Tele flat top knob
    Bybass tone pot
    Matt black pick guard cut
    Gibson p-94T
    American vintage machine heads
    Fender neckplate

So glad this is finally finished!

EDIT: a couple more beauty shots

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  15. Victor 51

Victor 51 TDPRI Member

That's a beautiful guitar Isaac. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to get a sunburst one soon. If I look at yours too long it'll be sooner than I planned. Love it!!!!

maloburro likes this.
  16. Victor 51

Victor 51 TDPRI Member

I just realized how bad the lighting was on the last pic on my post above. I'm a noob here and I can't figure out how to edit the post. Here's a better full body shot of Vic 51. IMG_20170425_204835_090.jpg

hellopike likes this.
  17. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Gah, hell. Guitar Fetish used to sell a drop-in replacement bridge for the '51 with a slightly better break angle. This one--http://www.guitarfetish.com/Top-Mount-Hardtail-bridge-Fits-Teles-Squier-51-Chrome_p_759.html--is NOT it. The top two holes are fine; the bottom three are all in the wrong place. And the middle hole of the bottom three would have to be plugged before you drill a new hole.

Just a word to the wise. Grumble gripe snarl.

18. 77Davey

77Davey TDPRI Member

Thaa

19. 77Davey

77Davey TDPRI Member

Thanks for the link! it was a reminder that the last one of these I bought I used on a modded Squier Bullet Special instead of my 51. I can't remember any problems installing it other than just a new hole or two. I ordered another.
    I was planning to part the 51 and use the neck on another build but I am fickle that way :)
    My 51 and Bullet are both top loaders though.

Seems they have dropped down their ridiculous shipping charges too. yay

20. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

I used these GraphTech saddles on my original Squier '51. They worked without modification. Not 100% sure how they would work on the '51 Mk II with the string-through construction.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002E4Y9C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.