CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

2. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Wow and a buy it now too. Is it too far from you Telepath?

Or is there someone you know nearby who could pick it up for you?

If I lived nearer to it, I'd go for that one

I'm happy with the two Ive got now though, and Ive other things on my GAS list.

3. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

No, not that far, but I'm going to maintain restraint (for once!) and hold out for a Sunburst '51 - it will happen sooner or later!
    TBH, I have never been a fan of black / tuxedo guitars, with the exception of Gilmour's iconic strat - of course..

4. 62Caster

62Caster Tele-Meister

[​IMG]
    It came! Well sort of...

Since I'm at school I'll have to wait until this weekend to pick it up from home, but anyways my dad sent me this picture! So excited!

Treynor likes this.
  5. Sollophonic

Nice looking '51 there 62Caster.

Are you going to mod it or leave it stock?

If you dont know already theres a Modder Forum at

http://www.instituteofnoise.com/squier51/forum/default.asp

Thers a Gallery on there with some awesome looking '51s, and theres some great folk post on there. Some of them from of here as well.

I'm keeping my sunburst stock for now.

6. 62Caster

62Caster Tele-Meister

I'm not sure yet, I'll have to see how it sounds. I have a dimebucker from an older project that I was thinking about possibly using, but we'll see. I've checked out the gallery on the other forum, they look really cool. Very inspiring...but for now I'll just leave it stock

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When the 51s were real cheap and plentiful, a lot of guys used them as test rats. Need a platform to learn what pickup X sounds like? Rip the stock pickups out of the 51 and try out the subject pickup.

As it turns out, the stock pickups in the Squier 51 are far better IMO than they are in basically all the other Squiers I have owned, by a significant margin. And now, guys are chasing down the stock pickups and the stock wiring scheme and reinstalling that or close approximations of that.

I have enough 51s; I can afford to put Keystones in 1-2 more of them and use the stock 51 pickups on Squier Tele Specials, and other models in need of a sonic redux.

I recommend replacing the nut and tuners, and substantially modding the bridge assembly. The pickups are fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hellopike likes this.
  8. boris bubbanov

I love this shot:

[​IMG]

Treynor likes this.
  9. Sollophonic

10. boris bubbanov

Thanks.

That's a neck off a Surabaya Squier Tele Special or Fat Tele, don't recall which.

Love the added variety of a fwe rosewood board 51s in there, but the Tele neck is a little thinner. The Squier 51 all maple necks are generally nicer to play.

11. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

After a long delay heres my Tux.Originally I thought I'll go for sunburst-then got to like the very early black Esquire feel to the Tux so I bought this-then saw the figured basswood:eek:on Widges !Got to admit I'm jealous of that!
    http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/1558/img4664j.jpg
    I'm happy with this stock on my limited acquaintance,theres surprisingly little squeal from the cheap looking pickups at vol,its sturdy and I'm playing it for the last hour of rehersals where its real job is string break back-up but I enjoy it and its needs a bit of breaking in!

12. Sollophonic

Dont let this fool you, the rear humbucker on these is a peach IMO, and is staying in both of mine. It has a great garagey P90 quality to it to my ears, and is a bit of a rare beast. Many people who removed these early on it their 51s life are now frantically searching for replacement ones to drop back into them.

My sunburst one is about to get new bridge saddles. So much for keeping it stock!!:lol::cool:

13. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

Thanks Solly,good advice,I'm not going to rush into any p/u changes now.I agree the bridge sounds v.good,and I have achieved reasonable vol balance with the neck-the only mod I've made so far was to put springs and screws onto the neck p/u for adjustment.
    In fairness too I think any glossy black guitar can look a bit cheesy until it wears a bit,so I was maybe a bit unfair to the look of the p/u's.I'll bring it to practice Sat and give it a good blast.......

14. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Question for BB!

Boris - if you see this,
    I've noticed that in many of your guitar pics (and there are many, many that I have enjoyed - thanks) that you set your neck pup real low. Often near flush with the 'guard.

Is that how you play 'em and like 'em - or or for aesthetic reasons just specifically for the photo session?

If the former, do you have some thoughts regards lower neck pup height?
    Just wondered!

15. bfgz

bfgz Tele-Meister

Squier 51 w/ West German Ultrasonic Pickups

This is my newest 51

It is my second Blonde model with the black guard. this one has Black Tuners and West German Ultrasonic Pickups. It has an R6 in the bridge and an R3 single coil in the neck.
    They are passive pickups even though they have an "Active" pickup look to them. They are very quiet however like active pickups and they have a flat EQ. People either like em or hate em but in any event they are quite rare and IMO look good in this guitar.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      46.3 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      46.9 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      30.5 KB
      Views:
    hellopike likes this.
  16. boris bubbanov

I generally like the neck pup output down a bit, relative to the bridge pickup. I'm kinda sensitive to the 'G' string being strong, also. I guess I'm basically an Esquire player. :^)

Sometimes I've gone overboard, and I fix the pickup while the picture is loading into Photobucket. Same thing with bridges, but I'm trying harder to get the guitars fully set up before I shoot them. The neck pickup on this guitar is a major chore to adjust. I might monkey with the pole pieces so I can get them higher. If I get one too low, I just switch guitars! :eek:

17. 62Caster

62Caster Tele-Meister

18. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

I just put this same bridge on my '51 about 2 months ago. When I looked at it I thought it was about the same. It is heavier & better quality steel. It did improve my tone. I love getting cheap Squiers & upgrading all the hardware.

19. boris bubbanov

What it does is solve the problem where the stock saddle is both being pushed up by and being pushed down by the string as you bring it to tension and try and lower the action. The stock bridge plate is the same quality plating and steel, so I just do the "Bubba Mod" to the stock plate and put the stock saddles away somewhere. I increase the fastener size on the plate mount screws to #6 x 1 inch. The GFS plate is basically a lateral move, IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.