CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Lead2Fan

Lead2Fan Tele-Meister

The Cyclone is a "short scale" (24") like the Jaguar/Mustang/Duo Sonic isn't it?

The Squier '51 is 25.5" like a Tele/Strat/Jazzmaster but cheaper, most are going for $199 new.

Scale length and price difference, with a '51 if you like the scale you will be saving a wad of dough you can use on a strap, strap locks (a MUST in my opinion) or other mods.

2. Corgitodd

Corgitodd Tele-Meister

Any difference between the original run Squier 51s and the ones out now? Apart from the price went up.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  3. BearNotes

BearNotes TDPRI Member

The newer 51's have string through body and better bridge similar to that found on the Fender Pawn Shop Vintage Modified 51 which was built after the original Squier VM 51 which production ceased but prior to the current reissue Squier VM 51 you can buy today.

There where a lot of reports of rough fret work on the Original Squier VM 51 but on the reissue Squier 51 most people found the fret work good. Not sure about the original 51 but reissue has modern c style Telecaster neck. Can not speaker about any pickup changes because I don't know.

Turner's on mine work well and atonenation is good. From what I read a few people had complaints about those on the original Squier 51.

So some improvements on the reissued for the money. That was my quick summary based on this forum against the reissue I purchased in 5/16.

I will say I like mine a lot but I am a beginner. I think it is as big step above most Squier entry-level package Strats I looked at a GC. Also you can not find them in stock in GC you must purchase online or order from local authorized Fender retailer and wait a few days to arrive from Fender distribution.

Sent from my B1-730 using TDPRI mobile app

emisilly likes this.
  4. Corgitodd

Corgitodd Tele-Meister

Thanks. I found a You Tube video comparing the original with the new version.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  5. VanManNW

VanManNW TDPRI Member

The neck on re-issue Squier 51s is not the Modern "C" shape you will find on MIM Standard Telecasters for example. It is much skinnier, more like a Strat. Which is why I eventually fell out of love with mine and bought a MIM Telecaster

The frets on mine were so rough it felt like you were filing your strings while bending. The first thing I did to mine was tear it apart and polish the frets.

Still a great guitar for the money though.

6. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

The original 51 neck wasn't skinny at all. Much thicker.

bender66 likes this.
  7. Isaac51

Isaac51 TDPRI Member

Hi there, first post but been lurking around these parts for a while now.

Had my 51 for a year and other than black pickguard I made and chicken head knob, no mods until now.

Today arrived: saddles, machineheads, nice flat top tele knob, conversion bushings ( which are the wrong size! ), Gibson p94T, Duncan high speed volume pot.

Thought these were all gonna be quick little mods, but bridge plate is over crowded ( DUH ) so will have to be ordering a new one, volume
    pot hole too small, holes need drilling in head stock, I guess these are all minor to you DIYers but I'm fairly new to modding!

Any tips for these mods?

And how is fender bridge with Gibson pickup going to work out for me?

Cheers all

Attached Files:

8. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Just a heads up, when the original '51 came out they listed at $199. Then about six months later tent listed at $159. About a year to two later they were blowing them out for $99. I bought mine from MF for $89 must have been 2006 or 2007. Great player with a baseball neck (almost as chunky as the '56 I studied). Pickups were a little weak but the bridge was the biggest issue. It was horrible. Got a $30 GFS bridge and all better. Eventually added a custom P Bass inspired pick guard with volume, tone and three way switch. Kept it for a good while and finally traded it for a Venture Hollowbody ES style guitar. Would not hesitate to by another but would need to check out the current offerings.

9. Somerled

Somerled TDPRI Member

What size bushings do you need? I have some spare 8mm ones if you want them for free. I did the Bubba bridge mod and have also posted some tasty 'Retrocaster '51' graphics for and instructions for making headstock transfers. See https://www.facebook.com/groups/548864988512720/ and look for my posts as Pete MacDhùghaill

10. BearNotes

BearNotes TDPRI Member

11. Isaac51

Isaac51 TDPRI Member

Thank you very much but the seller has sent me replacements first class in the mail today. I'll check it out when I get accepted into the group, headstock logo is also on my list, thinking of just having a nice big '51'

12. Somerled

Somerled TDPRI Member

Cool, big '51 like my avatar is on the FB group and you can have it filled gold !

13. CharlesL

CharlesL NEW MEMBER!

I thought I would add my 51 to the list:
    [​IMG]
    Squier Tele Special (JM with Tele heel) neck.
    Kluson tuners
    Lipstick neck pickup (under Mustang cover)
    Alegree Indian Summer humbucker
    Fender toronado bridge

I was thinking about routing it for a Jazzmaster neck pickup, possibly bridge too, making a squier 57 strat as it were.

14. smartwarrior

smartwarrior TDPRI Member

I just got my hot rodded '51 back from the shop and I had to show it off. It plays and sounds great!

Custom neck with GraphTech Tusq XL nut from Scott Tucker at PST Guitars in King George, Virginia, Stewmac Golden Age pickups, Sperzel locking tuners, GraphTech String Saver Saddles, and USA Fender string trees installed by Craig Musgrave in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and custom made white pearloid pickguard made by Ron Lira in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Attached Files:

pstguitars and Somerled like this.
  15. Somerled

Somerled TDPRI Member

Oh! Ho! Now that is one tasty '51, superb job there.

16. smartwarrior

Thanks Somerled! I'm stoked.

Attached Files:

dotnetbrett, pstguitars and cam.man67 like this.
  17. Somerled

Somerled TDPRI Member

I like that neck, nice!

pstguitars likes this.
  18. smartwarrior

It is absolutely beautiful piece of torrified maple, and plays like a dream. Scott Tucker did a great job making it.

Jerry

Attached Files:

pstguitars, Somerled and emisilly like this.
  19. Corgitodd

Corgitodd Tele-Meister

How much was that neck?

20. pstguitars

pstguitars NEW MEMBER!

We start them at $275 base pricing finished.....you can shoot a message over to us on the contact page at www.pstguitars.com. Thanks!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.