CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Somerled

Somerled TDPRI Member

Hi there, I had a similar thing.
    I replaced the pickup selector knob with a chickenhead on my '51 as the chrome dome knob didn't seem to work right. It turned out that the plastic insert inside the chrome bit was very slightly slack and I could rotate it inside the knob, which ain't much good.
    Perhaps a touch of superglue would fix it if you want to retain the original knob?
    Cheers,
    Pete

2. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

Thanks for the info!!

I might use glue or wedge it with something… The problem with glue is that you probably won't get it of again without breaking it. On the other hand; you'd only want to take it off again when the pot is broken anyway, so.

Thanks again, Pete!

3. Somerled

Somerled TDPRI Member

Take the knob off and see if you can find a way to get some superglue between the metal and plastic part. Thin super glue, not gel works best. Also after the glue is applied and when it is still wet poking the joint with a needle helps the glue flow down a bit too.

Leave overnight.
    knob1.jpg
    Ensure that no glue gets into the splined bit as it wont fit back on the pot so dont use gorilla glue as that foams and expands.

ellisvertellis likes this.
  4. Les Gear

Les Gear TDPRI Member

Aw shucks . . . you move me!

Like yourself, I didn't warm to the tuxedo and didn't want to spend more than a few bucks to do anything about it. And yet, everybody knows that if you want the woody sound you have to go with the woody look . . .

[​IMG]

And that's where kitchen contact paper comes in. It cost a full $3.99 for enough to cover about twenty-five pickguards (or one pickguard and a bunch of kitchen shelves). But it's all about supply and demand, y'know? That stuff doesn't grow on trees!

With the DarkSound Custom Paper, 250k volume pull-pot, knobs from the collection and a five-dollar used Dean upgrade neck pickup, I think this guy is about where it's going to be. Happy owner . . . struggling player!

willhowl and Sollophonic like this.
  5. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

How about just using a better knob, with set screw, so you'll never have that slippage again? I used one on my volume, and now also have a good visual indicator of where the volume is set.

6. Warren Schimizzi

Warren Schimizzi NEW MEMBER!

hellopike, Somerled and emisilly like this.
  7. cam.man67

cam.man67 Tele-Meister

Ok, I know it's been done at least once, but I'd like to hear from any of you that have put a Jazzmaster trem on your '51. Is the body thick enough that the spring doesn't have to be cut down? I love JM trems, and am toying with this mod on my '51 test mule.

I'm also considering a GFS Hofner-style, but really would prefer the JM Aesthetic.

Pic for reference:
    [​IMG]

8. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

I just ordered one of these in blonde. I'm planning to use it as a mod platform with an Allparts RW neck that I have, and a Dimarzio zebra DP103 in the bridge. I'll probably put a 50s style single coil in the neck. Anyway, I would prefer a white pickguard over the black one that it comes with. Does anyone with a white pickguard want to trade for a black one?

PigBoy likes this.
  9. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

I will. I've got a white one ply from a first run. PM me.

10. cam.man67

cam.man67 Tele-Meister

Just took this this morning:
    [​IMG]

Jimmy Duncan, hellopike and Strebs like this.
  11. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Are there any differences between the 1st run and the current batch?

12. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

No clue.

13. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

No clue as far as pickguard go.

14. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

Sent you a PM.

15. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Replied

16. wierzbowski

wierzbowski Tele-Meister

I just took my 51 apart and sanded it down to repaint it. I dont want to tear out the wood during the reassembly so Id like to build up the bridge holes with cyanoacrelate. Is there any preferred method to doing that?

17. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I've done that by using the water-thin CA and just dripping a couple of drops in each hole. The 51's body is very soft inside the paint shell, as pointed out by Boris Bubbanov and others, so the CA helps make the columns of wood around the screw holes stronger. Don't make the mistake I made of trying to distribute the CA inside the screw holes with a pipe cleaner, the thin stuff sets up so fast, it was nearly impossible to remove the pipe cleaner. It also started to smoke!

18. wierzbowski

wierzbowski Tele-Meister

Thank you much

19. Brian Dress

Brian Dress Tele-Meister

Hey guys! These 51s look so cool! I'm torn between this or a cyclone. I really want an HS no guard tele but the pup config on the 51 and the cyclone is exactly what I'm looking for. Problem is how to decide!!

20. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

The 51 looks pretty cool without the pickguard. If the screw holes bother you, you could always fill them in with some epoxy and some touch up paint on the holes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.