CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Late to the party, but only by 12 years :) Grabbed this mint '04 recently at a nearby Music Go Round. I never see these locally, so when I saw this one online, I drove over the next day to check it out. Of course, the one day I go there, the place is full of young bucks cranking up everything in the store. A kid was playing this 51, and asking all kinds of questions about it, really digging it. I thought he was going to buy it, before I could even check it out. Then, apparently, the lunch bell rang, and they all split. I checked it out, and grabbed it quick for $149.00.

Not being a tuxedo fan, and not willing to pay $40.00 shipped for a WD B/W/B guard, I spray pained mine flat black, with a top clear of satin poly. Next will be the Bubba saddle mod, and Gibson toggle in place of the rotary switch, although I like the idea of a toggle switch between, and turning the bottom knob to a tone pot. However, I notice that, like a tele without treble bleed, the high end is tamed when you back off the volume pot. Wanted a black neck pup cover too, but a stock strat cover is too big, won't go through the guard, the pickup is not standard strat size. Might look for a black S51 alnico pickup instead. All in all, a cool little guitar.

2004 Squier 51.jpg

emisilly likes this.
  2. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Still have never pulled the trigger on one of these. I want to, but I can't actually tell if I want one or if I want to want one. I love the way you matted the pick guard there. With the upcoming upgrades you mention is sounds like it may be a baller.

3. mesatone01

mesatone01 TDPRI Member

IMG_0350.JPG IMG_0352.JPG
    A couple of hints from experience. On the front pickup hole on the guard I went online and found a Strat pickguard template and printed it . I used that to mark my holes for pickup adjustment screws for a regular Strat pickup. Took a small round file (from the Dollar Store) and lightly went around the hole to open it up a bit. Make sure you if you add in a selector between the control knobs that you get it right in the center. It gets a bit tight under there. If you use a LP type switch make sure it's a straight one not one of the "L" type as it won't fit. Hope my hints help.

hellopike likes this.
  4. GuitarJonz

Thanks Bro. Funny, I've seen guys use a mini toggle in the middle, but never a full size Gibby. I may try that, and gain a tone control. Do you have a wiring schematic for that? I have one of these on the way.

Attached Files:

5. mesatone01

mesatone01 TDPRI Member

I originally started with a mini switch but changed to a pre-wired set up from Guitarfetish.com. I had put in their GFS pickups and with the premiered set up it gave me a push/pull on the tone control to split the coil on the pickups. What's cool is when both pickups are selected it reverses one of the split coils so it adds hum canceling. They have a bunch of wiring combo's it was $ 19 bucks for switch,both pots and a new input jack. There's also wiring diagrams on the Seymour Duncan site.

6. GuitarJonz

Anyone have a schematic to replace the rotary switch with a Gibson style switchcraft? Looking under the hood, I see that the rotary switch has 3 wires on it: white from neck pup, white from the HB bridge pup, and a red wire to the volume pot. The output wire from the jack is a single grey wire, which contains a white to volume pot, and a bare ground, which is soldered to the side of the volume pot. So assuming I put the white pickup wires on either side of the Gibby switch, do I need to desolder the output jack connections from the volume pot (white and bare ground), and then move both those to the new Gibby switch (white output wire soldered to the combined middle switch tabs) and the bare ground to the single terminal on the back of switch? Not sure if correct, and what to do with red wire currently between volume and rotary.

7. GuitarJonz

[​IMG]

8. mesatone01

mesatone01 TDPRI Member

IMG_0297.JPG IMG_0353.JPG IMG_0355.JPG Here's mine. Wire colors may be different but hot is hot and ground is ground. Used my push/pull for tone control. GuitarFetish.com has a prewired harness that I used which came with all the pots,switchs and jacks. Just had to wire in the bridge ground which they included.

9. GuitarJonz

Installed the Gibson 3-way toggle switch today. Needed to drill the bottom hole on the control plate to accommodate the larger Gibson switch. Pic & wiring diagram below. Didn't touch the stock push/pull volume pot at all, except to add a new ground wire from the volume pot over to the back tab of the Gibson switch, and re-solder the existing red wire from the volume pot over to the combined 2 inner tabs on the Gibson switch. Pretty easy mod, way better than that stupid rotary switch. A volume knob with set screw is mandatory too, so you can have a visual reference where your volume is set; the stock knobs don't have a set screw. Backing off on volume 25% really tames the treble, which is a good thing, since there is no tone pot in the circuit. But if you open up the volume all the way, all the treble you want is right there. Almost ridiculous all the killer tones for $150.00, can't see touching these pickups, they absolutely scream! Never owned a bridge HB guitar, but rocking out with gain on the S51 is so much fun, good cleans too.

Squier 51 new switch.jpg Squier 51 with Gibson switch.JPG

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    basher likes this.
  10. GuitarJonz

I like this S51 demo, dude can play!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  11. mesatone01

mesatone01 TDPRI Member

IMG_0369.JPG IMG_0370.JPG
    Found a 3 hole control plate at bassguitarpartsresource.com. It's just a bit longer than the stock "51" plate but the holes are spaced perfect to put in full size pots and an LP style selector. Had to file some on the pickguard but looks good with new plate and plenty of room.

12. elskipper

elskipper TDPRI Member

20 year old Kahler and an eBay Charvette neck.

[​IMG]

13. warthog

warthog Tele-Meister

A little wiring help!!

A couple of posts above there is a post similar to what I am trying to do... in fact, I used to have the split HB with the 3 way toggle. I decided to put in a Tonerider Rebel90, but I am having difficulty wiring it up.

Now I have just a 500K pot and a 3 way toggle.. no tone. I wired everything up and I can switch the pups, but my volume is working as a tone... It's kinda cool and I've thought of just adding a kill switch... but I'd rather it work correctly.

The pup config is a Strat pup in the neck and the Rebel90 in the bridge. The Rebel90 has a braided lead.

If anyone has any advice or can quickly sketch something up, I'd appreciate it!

UPDATE!!!

I figured it out.. It was a cold solder on the extra lug of the volume pot!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  14. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

The surf 90 bridge is amazing

15. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ok! Sign me up. This beautiful creature arrived yesterday. The original owner put a set of steel bridge saddles on (I recognize them as something Guitarfetish used to sell), which seems to have helped the bridge issue. Other than that it's stock. Judging from the lack of fret wear and the amount of dust, it could well have been sitting in a closet for the last 11 years. Super cool. I had a 51 back in 2005 that I inexplicably sold; I'm happy to finally have one in my life again. I'm going to stick a proper switch in (thanks Guitar Jonz for sharing your experience with that) and play it till it falls apart.

[​IMG]

emisilly likes this.
  16. bigericplatt

bigericplatt TDPRI Member

If you start making the Mojocaster decals for sale, put me down for one, please. Been wanting one since the Institute of Noise days. Will hopefully post photos soon of the current state of my '51.

17. bigericplatt

bigericplatt TDPRI Member

Here's the current state of my '51. Configuration is older MIJ pickup in the neck, GFS Gold Foil ferrite humbucker at bridge, Wilkinson half Tele bridge, 3 way LP style switch and concentric volume/tone pots. Bridge pickup is actually a mistake. Wanted the single coil, but accidently ordered the humbucker. Decided to try it and liked the sound. A lot. Was slightly bright, so turned the pup around so pole pieces are closer to the neck. Previously had a GFS T-style and it was shrill on this guitar. Also had the GFS Brooklyn, stock humbucker and Fender Atomic. Like this one the best so far.

cam.man67 and basher like this.
  18. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

Hi guys, just a small question:

The pickup selector knob on my '51 is loose, but it won't come of easily either. How are these knobs attached? Is it safe to just pull it until it gives? Don't want to break the knob (or switch)...

19. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yeah, if you just pull straight up on the knob it should come off. I'm guessing you need to tighten the nut that holds the pot in place?

20. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

That's the thing: it's not the pot that's loose, it's the knob. I can lift it 3mm or so. If I want to change pickup, I need to pull the knob and twist at the same time to get the pot to work and change pickup selection.

Thanks! At least I know I am supposed to pull it up to take it off.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.