CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. claes

claes Tele-Afflicted

Dont know why. Maybe they are about to get discontinued? The last time they where discontinued they costed 99 euro. Yes they are new and they have several. Mine is in the mail and will get here on thursday. I will post a quick review when I get it :D

Yes, I searched the net and thomann says they are no longer available.

2. LoveChild

LoveChild TDPRI Member

Do you know what last letter of VBL means? I mean in the name Squier by Fender VM '51 MN VBL Vintage Blonde. I know that MN means maple neck. I guess VB means Vintage Blonde. What does letter L stand for?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  3. BearNotes

BearNotes TDPRI Member

One of the things I noticed is almost no stores stock this guitar they have to order from Fender and have it dropped shipped to you or get it from one of Fenders regional warehouses and then send it to you. Local GC would not order for me unless I paid upfront. When I ordered mine, stock for the Vintage Blond was out at a couple online stores and they where waiting for another run from Fender Indonesia where they are made to replenish stock.

This guitar has kind of a cult following. Really good guitar for price. MSRP is $399.00 but street has been $199.00 since the reissue. I think Fender just does limited runs in Indonesia when stock is low to feed demand. A low margin item for both Retailer and Fender. Great value for consumer and modders. That's probably why your UK Retailer blew you off hoping you would just upgrade to more expensive model higher margin guitar.

I also think the Bugera V5 all tube amp is like this guitar. Great consumer value, low margin for Retailer and Manufacture good cost to quality and value beginning amp. Also has a cult like following.

I bought the Squier by Fender Vintage Modified 51, all tube Bugera V5 5 watt practice amp. Tweed Fender guitar strap, Tweed Fender instrument cable, Fender Tweed gig bag, guitar stand, 6 Jim Dunlop picks, and an AKG 52 headphones to use with the amp for silent practice. All new for under $400 by watching sales at GC and online coupon codes, in about a three week span. Just a little more than a Squier starter kit but all much better equipment by doing research on equipment by using this site and YouTube for demos and reviews.

Sent from my B1-730 using TDPRI mobile app

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  4. claes

claes Tele-Afflicted

I did not say that in my post but I bought a joyo jta 5, a fender champ 5f1 clone at the same time for 180 euro to qulify for free shipping. I been thinking of ordering that amp for a very long time cause the clips intrigue me. Total 330 euro. basicly 330 us dollar plus VAT.
    I'l be very surprised if a lefty shows up. It doesn't say so anywhere. VBL probably stands for V(intage) BL(onde)

5. LoveChild

LoveChild TDPRI Member

Yesterday ordered Squier '51 VBL form musicstore.de. Waiting it to be delivered. And today I've got email with a receipt that says "country of origin: China".:mad: It's not from Indonesia. They didn't specify on their website that guitar from china. That's why it's so cheap and costs only 155 EUR

BearNotes likes this.
  6. claes

claes Tele-Afflicted

Got mine yesterday ...it say's "crafted in indonesia" on the headstock. Wait and see...

7. LoveChild

LoveChild TDPRI Member

False alarm. It's from Indonesia.:)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  8. cam.man67

cam.man67 Tele-Meister

Updated pic of my '51:
    [​IMG]
    GFS top loader bridge
    GFS Surf 90 bridge
    GFS JM90 neck

Wiring uses a CTS 500k push-pull pot for series/parallel, and the stock rotary switch, though the pickups are intentionally out of phase. Really pleased with how this guitar sits in the mix live...the pickups work great together!

9. hemmings

hemmings Tele-Meister

Looks good Boris!
    I just did the bubba mod to the original bridge, using some old worn out brass tele saddles I had. I will get some compensated ones eventually.
    So much better!
    These guitars are fantastic value. The neck on mine is gorgeous, and I just replaced the stock tuners with some Kluson types with converter bushings.
    It looks so much better, and restringing is easier.
    I am sticking with the stock pickups, they sound great. The only mod I did was to replace the steel slugs in the neck pickup, and put in some non staggered ones. Now it's even sounding across the board. The high E doesn't cut out now.
    Again, the 51 is a deal for anyone that wants a decent guitar for very little money!

10. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Can you elaborate on this. I love the stock pups but the output difference in switching was a bummer.

11. hemmings

hemmings Tele-Meister

When I say even across the board, I'm on about the string output on the neck pickup.
    The humbucker is of course louder, but not that much louder.
    It's more like a PAF output instead of Superdistortion loudness.
    I actually like the slight boost for soloing. You can of course adjust the heights to get it a little more balanced though.

12. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

So you changed the slugs on the ceramic stock neck pup?

13. hemmings

hemmings Tele-Meister

Yes.
    The pickup itself sounds pretty good, even though it's ceramic.
    It has the 2 magnets on each side of the steel slugs like a mexican strat pickup has.
    With the flush slugs it seems to be more even from Low E to high E.
    I found with the old slugs the B and G strings were louder than the others.

14. Les Gear

Les Gear TDPRI Member

Happy to have just received an NOS 2005 Squier 51, but that's not why I'm writing.

It seemed like folks were interested in who put the S-51 together. So I sent a note off to Fender Customer Service and they wrote back to say:

Mr. Norvell had at least one incredibly great time at work in 2003-04 designing something pretty unique and cool which everybody on this thread appreciates. He's still with the company. That speaks well of him and FMIC (which is not something to take for granted). Boo-yah!

Oh yeah, my brand-new 2005 Squier 51:

[​IMG]

Play on, folks!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  15. LoveChild

LoveChild TDPRI Member

Hi!! How is your guitar? I mean Squier '51 Vintage Modified which you bought roughly month ago from MusicStore.de
    Mine can't be intonated. I've tightened a truss rod to straighten a neck and adjusted saddles but everything is in vain. And after straightening of the neck buzz has come out. I was told that I should level up frets. I contacted MusicStore.de and they said that there is a warranty on this guitar. But the process of sending this guitar back is a pain in an ass for me.

16. mesatone01

mesatone01 TDPRI Member

IMG_0348.JPG IMG_0345.JPG IMG_0344.JPG IMG_0342.JPG
    Plenty of these 51'still around. I got mine off of "Reverb" for $ 150.00 w/ hard shell case including shipping. Perfect shape, no dings or scratches looks new. Here's a list of the mods and some pics of the finished "51".
    Lightly sanded the neck and removed the original logo. I sprayed it with some neck amber to give it that aged look made my own water slide with a custom logo then sprayed it with 10 coats of clear nitrocellulose. Replaced the bridge with a gold Humbucker 6 saddle bridge. Changed out the pickups with a GFS "Lil Killer" at the neck and a GFS Dream 180 at the bridge. Guitarfetish sells a pre-wired harness that makes life simple. Two new pots and a 3 way Les Paul style toggle switch. Just drilled a new hole between the two holes on the control plate for the switch and now it's got a vol and tone plus a push/pull pot that cuts a coil on each pickup and reverses one hum canceling. I drilled two holes at the neck pickup hole to mount the pickup like a Strat for heights adjusting. I replaced the tuners with gold Ghotos and string trees for a finishing touch.

17. Somerled

Somerled TDPRI Member

That's a lovely job there man. I particularly like the logo, any chance that I can get one as it would like smashing on my blonde 51? cheers.

18. mesatone01

mesatone01 TDPRI Member

I've had such a demand for the "MojoCaster" logo from "51" owners that I may start making them available for sell. They would come as three (3) separate water slides with a light coat of nitrocellulose over them. If I get a few more requests I'll put these in production.

bender66 likes this.
  19. rob5755

rob5755 Tele-Holic

I'm in for the Mojocaster water slides...

20. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd like the "51" logo if you do start producing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.