CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

The original models had a PAF style humbucker. The newer ones have a considerably hotter one. Some people really liked the original ones. I found mine to be a bit shrill.

I liked the original neck single coil on mine. Problem was that if I bent the high E string, it would die completely. I replaced both with Lace Hot Golds.

PaulHaa likes this.
  2. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

3. WRH81

WRH81 TDPRI Member

4. WRH81

WRH81 TDPRI Member

Hey gang, so I know a couple folks round here have converted their 51's in baritones. I was wondering if any of you would impart so wisdom as how the pickups sound with larger gauge strings. Also wondering if you did any mods to the bridge (top loader). Love to hear/see what was put together.

5. Craig Thomas

Craig Thomas TDPRI Member

I had one back around 2005, maybe before. The pickups and electronics in the one I had were pretty bad but the I still miss that big fat neck.

6. hemmings

hemmings Tele-Meister

I just picked up an original 51 from Craigslist. It is an IC4 serial number, so I guess 2004.
    It came with a gig bag, a fender bullet 150 amp, and the guitar all for 100 Canadian dollars.
    The guitar wasn't working, because the wire to the output was twisted off inside due to a loose nut on the output plate. It was a 5 minute fix.
    It just needs new strings and it's good to go.
    It's all original, and the pickups sound fantastic.
    The neck has a nice amber look to it, not white looking at all.
    I am impressed with this guitar. It's a keeper.

Attached Files:

syrynx and Treynor like this.
  7. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic

HNGD!

hemmings and mike mc like this.
  8. JohnnyCage247

JohnnyCage247 NEW MEMBER!

Still got them in my local store (UK)...for £196

9. NatashaB

NatashaB NEW MEMBER!

this is my '51 "Annie", I bought her for $500 about 2 years ago in Australia, i believe they're still available here. Anyway, the connector for the jack has come loose and now when I plug in there is a constant static noise unless its at a certain angle, has anyone had this happen before? Annie is my love and I'm hoping I can fix her!

Attached Files:

10. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

That should be pretty easy to fix. I recently replaced mine with a Switchcraft one, but the original was still working fine. If don't have a soldering iron, any tech should be able to fix it quickly and cheaply.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, the precise month (and the year) will appear when you take the neck off. At least 50% of the original run was in 2005, another 30%+ in 2004 and the rest in 2006. Maybe a few 2007s, I forget.

Looks like you could adjust the saddles South some. I doubt it intonates like that. Use your ear; the stock top loader sends some confusing information to these e-tuners folks like these days. Congrats, very well bought!

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've recently put this bridge

[​IMG]

On about ten of these original type Surabaya Squier 51s.

I skootch the bridge down a body just enough that it so happens to cover all 5 existing body holes. But honestly, that's not the main idea. The idea is to get a really nice, intermediate break angle behind the saddles. Not real shallow, and not super steep. And the wires binding the ball end to the string are safely away from your hand and the saddle (especially an issue on the E-A saddle).

13. cam.man67

cam.man67 Tele-Meister

So this is the current layout of my '51:
    [​IMG]
    I like the GFS JM90 in the neck, don't get me wrong, but I'm finding it I almost never use it, the Surf 90 bridge is just so good! In thinking of removing the JM90 and just getting a non-routed pickguard to do the guitar up Esquire style. Has anybody some this or know of some pics so I can get an idea of what it will look like?

hellopike likes this.
  14. LoveChild

LoveChild TDPRI Member

Hi everybody!
    I just wanted to ask whether Squier vintage modified '51 has been discontinued by manufacturer.
    And which one of these two (Squier vintage modified '51 and Squier '51) is still being produced?
    I mean, Can I get a new one?

15. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

Musician's Friend has them for $199. I assume other places do too.

To my knowledge they were always a part of the Vintage Modified series, but they were usually referred to simply as the Squier 51.

16. LoveChild

LoveChild TDPRI Member

This guy form youtube () is telling us that the original Squier '51 was manufactured form 2004 to 2007 and then from 2013 till now Squier produces Squier vintage modified '51. And Wikipedia says that "In spring 2011, Fender introduced its own version of the Squier '51, also called a '51 under a new line of guitars called the Fender Pawn Shop Series". And in 2013, Fender discontinued the Pawn Shop '51.

When I turned to my local distributor I got a mail form them telling that Squier vintage modified '51 was discontinued.(Squier '51 series vintage modified). I don't know may be my local distirbutor is a loser.

17. BearNotes

BearNotes TDPRI Member

You can buy one direct from Fender. Here is the link the link. http://shop.fender.com/en-US/squier-electric-guitars/other/squier-51/0305100507.html#start=1

You can also buy one from any number of online Fender authorized stores. I bought mine in May of this year from Woodwinds and Brass winds at wwbw.com.

The newer model has the strings through the body like the Fender Pawn Shop Vintage Modified 51 as well as an improved bridge over the original Squier Vintage Modified 51. Most of the reissue models have had better fret polishing than the original Squier VM 51 and a candy apple red color replaced the black option. Most of the good online music stores will give you a 30-45 day satisfaction guarantee. The store that I brought mine just extended the their Labor Day sale so discount may be available on this guitar. Worth a check and a call. They are nice guitars for the price (at $199 street) so any discount you might get makes it that much more of a value.

Sent from my B1-730 using TDPRI mobile app

18. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

Heh. I had half a mind to buy a candy apple red one just for a body swap

19. claes

claes Tele-Afflicted

20. LoveChild

LoveChild TDPRI Member

Thank you for this link!! But is it new? Why's that guitar so cheap? I've found squier '51 (new, in Two-Color Sunburst. Location: Germany) on eBay for 215 EUR.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.