CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

My opinion also!

2. SM85

SM85 TDPRI Member

The Squier '51 has very good versatility, I would only mod to include playability at the beginning. I've had mine for 12 years now, and I honestly still wouldn't change the pickups.

The only thing that tormented me about the guitar was the fret buzz that mine had, and the lack of a tone control.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  3. BearNotes

BearNotes TDPRI Member

Ok, thanks guys. I will definitely give the stock pickups plenty of respect. I watched a lot of YouTube videos and loved the tone I heard on those demos and reviews. I'm just hoping I can learn the skills to create some of that tone myself.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  4. sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw TDPRI Member

Where are you guys finding tortoise pg's for the Squier '51? I have a Dimarzio Virtual Hot PAF DP-214 bridge pup that I want to use in something, and figured a Squier '51 in vintage white with a tort guard would be nice. How is the stock neck pup? Suggestions for a good one to go with a PAF?

5. sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw TDPRI Member

Also, any of you put a tone control on?

6. SM85

SM85 TDPRI Member

I'm not sure what your asking.

As for the Tone Control. I added one on mine, it wasn't a hard job. I just examined the tone control from a tele circuit and added the pot, cap and wiring in.

7. SM85

SM85 TDPRI Member

You can see these diagrams here.

The first two show the Squier '51 wiring. The last is a strat diagram with a tone control.

You add your tone pot, then wire the pot so it is in parallel with the volume. Just solder another wire from the input terminal of the volume pot to the middle terminal of the tone. Then solder the capacitor between the side terminal as shown to the back of the tone pot. Then ground the tone pot, run a ground wire from the case of the volume pot to the case of the ground pot.

This should be it, this is how I added my tone control. I will include a super simple seymour duncan diagram as well.
    Squier51originalwiring_zps56a63ebc.jpg Squier51Wiring.jpg bullet1_schematic_draft.jpg 1S_1V_1T.jpg

sunvalleylaw likes this.
  8. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic

I guess I can join in the fun in this club now! Went to hang out at my local GC this morning and saw this used guitar that had been marked at $99. Wasn't familiar with the model but decided to give it a look. It has a great neck, low action and no fret buzz. And the pickups through the GC BB15 combo sounded pretty good.

So now to play with it today! I'll put a set of 10's on it and determine if I like the pickups or if I want to mod it. Maybe a JB in the bridge?

What is strange is that the previous owner had left the sticker on the pickguard. Maybe someone who knows more about interpreting this can verify for me, but looking at the SN it might be a 2005?

image-5.jpeg image-6.jpeg image-7.jpeg

Jimmy Duncan and hellopike like this.
  9. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic

Got her cleaned up, removed the sticker, put 10's on, and lowered the action to where I like it. Plugged it into my BB45 into the normal and then both channels. First impressions...KILLER for $99. The bridge HB may be a keeper. It's very quiet and I am getting some sweet clean and overdriven sounds from it. The neck I'll have to see about. It is similar in sound to a Strat neck pu, but not quite. There is no tone control and it may be a little to bright for me. I'll be surprised if I like that pu at all when I plug into my AC15. But overall I am impressed with the value and playability. I wouldn't hesitate to play this for a gig.

10. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes that's an '05. My stock black S-'51 serial# starts with 0508. Old stock unmolested '51s like that are a rare find these days!

syrynx and Treynor like this.
  11. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

Yep, July 05. Mine is a blonde from the same month and year. Wow, that makes it 11 years old already. Time flies.

Treynor likes this.
  12. SM85

SM85 TDPRI Member

Good find! Mine didn't even come with the sticker on the pickguard brand new!

Treynor likes this.
  13. cam.man67

cam.man67 Tele-Meister

Sweet guitar! Just from a bit of experience, I'd recommend against using a JB in your '51. Mine had one when I bought it....I know JB's are known for their upper mids thing, but it's really a lot with this particular guitar. Very nasally. The neck pickup os very poorly balanced with a JB to boot. Just my .02, but I hope it helps. If you want the humbucker sound, a '59/Custom hybrid would be my choice to take advantage of coil splitting.

Treynor likes this.
  14. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic

Thanks for the advice! I've actually decided to hold off on any pickup changes for now. I'm enjoying the stock ones for now...they give me a nice sound I don't get in my other guitars.

dtermined2play and syrynx like this.
  15. WRH81

WRH81 TDPRI Member

So long time reader, first time poster. Picking a 2005 blonde Squier 51 this weekend and know that there is some who have had a problem with the bridge in regards to string tension/buzz/whatnot and others that feel it works fine. I was wondering if anyone had ever played with the idea/replaced the saddles with 6 vintage saddles like these:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Raw-Brass...997482?hash=item4b040535aa:g:hZ0AAOSw1DtXIlpp

Thought it might be easier to pop these in to the six holes already in the bridge as opposed to drilling and going the bubba mod route. Definitely open to your thoughts and certainly appreciate all the knowledge/opinions offered here. (Not sure if this is considered a thread jack, so apologies in advance)

16. PaulHaa

PaulHaa Tele-Meister

Hey I don't know if I should ask this here but how good is the new Squier '51. I really like the pick up configuration but how does it sounds and what tones can I expect?

17. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure on the tones, but I'd expect tones similar to the older ones. However, the necks on the older '04-06 models were noticeably fatter. I'd look for an older one, based on that, YMMV.

PaulHaa likes this.
  18. PaulHaa

PaulHaa Tele-Meister

Oh and could you describe the tones too me? I really don't know what to expect

19. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

I popped some GraphTech saddles on mine and am quite happy with that. I can look up the precise ones I ordered on Amazon if you are interested.

20. WRH81

WRH81 TDPRI Member

That would be great. Appreciate the help.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.