CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. GitterMan

GitterMan TDPRI Member

Both, for sure

2. GitterMan

GitterMan TDPRI Member

Your only crazy if you don't like it.

3. GitterMan

GitterMan TDPRI Member

weird for sure

4. GitterMan

GitterMan TDPRI Member

right on

5. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

GFS gold-foil in the neck and custom pickguard, otherwise stock.

[​IMG]

syrynx likes this.
  6. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Very cool. How do you like the gold-foil? I was curious about those. They look nice. Where's the pickguard from?

7. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I like the gold-foils. It's a middle pickup from their Strat set. Sounds much fuller in comparison to the original neck pickup. I like the bridge pickup so no plans to replace that.

The pickguard I had custom made, from a blank I ordered from IKN on Amazon (the Brown Tortoise looks great; you can see the other pickguard from the blank on the Tele next to the 51. However, the Brown Pearl color and pattern from them was really ugly). 51 Pickguards are a strange beast. Despite this being an exact trace of the original white pickguard, it needed a lot of sanding and finesse to fit. Another pickguard the original owner included in the sale was wildly off.

8. slamson00

slamson00 TDPRI Member

Just received my Squier 51 tonight in the mail. Amazing amazing guitar. Got very lucky as fit and finish are superb for this price range. Setup out of the box is surprisingly nice as well. Found a keeper.

I have a few Strats and one Tele. Love the Strat bodies and Tele necks so I was drawn to the 51's the second I discovered them.

LOVE the neck on this beauty, all the neck hype is truly justified as this thing is silky smooth. Also the neck that came with mine had some great wood grain showing and some slight flame on the back. The pickups sound great, different but great. Love the in between sound with the humbucker coil tapped with the neck. Also enjoying just the neck as well. Don't know what I want to mod on this guitar but plan to play it as is for a while and think on it. Overall beautiful guitars by Squier. Lucky to have it in my stable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jimmy Duncan and syrynx like this.
  9. cam.man67

cam.man67 Tele-Meister

Gotta be honest, I've never been all that enamored with the CAR '51s, but that looks sharp!

jmwreck likes this.
  10. dtermined2play

dtermined2play Tele-Afflicted

Just a suggestion but leave it stock for 1 year. I have had 5 over the years. I only have two left one stock (except 3 barrel mod) and one that is heavily modded. I never play the modded one. I play the stock one a lot. I think the guitar has a distinct sound that really is quite good.

syrynx likes this.
  11. slamson00

slamson00 TDPRI Member

So far I would have to agree with this 100%. Been playing the 51 all weekend and man this guitar plays so nice! And yes it does have a distinct sound in the middle position with both pickups running. Or I can get a familiar sound with just the neck pickup. Super versatile guitar. Can't believe this thing is $200 new.

syrynx likes this.
  12. Jared66sizzle

Jared66sizzle NEW MEMBER!

image.jpeg
    '05 squier 51

Dimarzio 36th anniversary PAF

Dimarzio area t

Gfs bridge

Gfs Sperzel style locking tuners

CTS 250K pot with switch craft toggle switch

Converted finish to satin with aged neck (original neck) and hardware.

Pickguard lacquered over, wet sanded, and semi buffed to give the appearance of Bakelite.

May eventually strip the polyester finish and refin with nitro.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    Bill, emisilly and cam.man67 like this.
  13. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Here's what I did recently for my 51, as shown on post #821 above. Homemade pick guard in cream from Rock Audio, and Bubba mod on the bridge. I'll mount the bridge pickup to the guard and skip the rectangular trim ring. Filling in the unused pick guard holes on the front face. It's still a work in progress, I'll post the finished product when I get there.

2007-01-01 12.06.08.jpg 2007-01-01 12.01.59.jpg 2007-01-01 12.02.28.jpg 2007-01-22 00.20.45.jpg

syrynx likes this.
  14. Michael A.

Here's the mostly completed guitar above. I am very impressed with the nice, woody sound I get from the 51. I really like the Bubba Mod, it makes the bridge very comfortable for the right hand and sounds good too. I had a slight change of plans when the new guard got chipped near the bridge pup cutout, so I refitted the trim ring. Deleted the neck pup cover, so both pickups match now, to my satisfaction. The main thing is the improvement to me of the overall look with the smaller guard.

2007-01-02 13.07.46.jpg 2007-01-02 12.54.07.jpg

syrynx, PaulieBoy and VanManNW like this.
  15. dtermined2play

dtermined2play Tele-Afflicted

Pg makes it look like the cyclone. Good work.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  16. Michael A.

Thanks, I appreciate that. It is only my second completed guitar mod and first one where I made a pick guard from blank plastic with my router.

17. BearNotes

BearNotes TDPRI Member

Looks nice

18. SM85

SM85 TDPRI Member

I got an original '51 from 2004. It was laid aside for years and years. The buzz problem was the main reason. But being off work sick for a couple days got me some time to pick at it again.

I made a bone nut, my first one. Then I replaced the "bubba" mod saddles I had on there with a set of strat type chinese saddles. I grooved the saddles with appropriate files for each guitar string. Put it all together. Fresh Strings and Intonation. No more Buzz.

Other Mods are a tone control that I put on there in 2007, it is setup with a 1.0 uF cap for really bright highs mixed with almost bass guitar type lows.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. BearNotes

BearNotes TDPRI Member

Just pulled the trigger on a 2016 Squier Vintage Modified 51 in Vintage blonde. Thought I would try and learn to play the guitar with my gradson. See if an old Bear can learn some new tricks.

Been reading the post hear for couple days wondering if any one has tried to change out the pickups of the Squier 51 for those used in the Fender Pawn Shop Vintage Modified 51?

Bridge Fender Enforcer humbucker and
    Neck Fender single coil Texas Special.

Wonder how that would sound

20. Michael A.

If you are new to guitar playing, I wouldn't worry about upgrading pickups. The stock 51 ones give a nice range of flavors. Lots of people who originally swapped out 51 pickups went back to them after a while.

boris bubbanov, syrynx and maloburro like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.