CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

New member!

I've just joined with my "new to me" 2004 51. Found east of Sacramento about a month ago, for $80 including a Johnson Reptone 30W amp.

As much as I usually love sunburst, the wood mismatch of the body below the bridge is not doing it for me, so I'm thinking opaque paint job. Going to gather ideas here, and from the archive of the Institute of Noise 51 site. I'm not a fan of the big pick guard, which has a bit of a Halloween ghost shape to it when standing upright.

So far, I've only ordered a GFS bridge, since the stock ones seemed very lightweight, and a set of compensated saddles for the bridge, and will drill for the bubba mod in any event.

While the bridge is out, I think I'll heed Boris's often-stated concerns about the softness of the body core by coating the inside of the bridge drillings with CA to stiffen up that column of wood before refitting the bridge. I'll probably fill some excess pick guard holes and go with a more modest-sized one of my own design and manufacture. I have a few other ideas I've been mulling around, such as brass hardware, but have to see what tuners are available in brass (not gold) and what I'd have to fabricate. And string-through appeals too. So many options.

Attached Files:

2. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Hey Michael, good spot on that one. I didn't see it. I'm east of sac too. You mentioned making a new pick guard, if you're interested in selling that one let me know and maybe we can work something out. I missed Boris's comments about strengthening the body but have not had issues with the new bridge I fit in on mine

3. TheVel

TheVel Tele-Meister

Nice score!
    There's also a Facebook group for 51 modders if you haven't joined that yet

4. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

Has anybody ever archived all the stuff that was at Institute of Noise?

5. Michael A.

It was on CL and in Cameron Park. A bit of a drive back to Grass Valley, but worth it for the deal.

It will probably be a while before I decide which way to go with the 51, since there are other guitars ahead on the project list. If I end up with the stock guard left over, I'll let you know.

Boris only talked about the wood inside being soft and held together by the sealer and paint shell. He did not specifically suggest using CA in the screw holes. I read Rob DiStefano (Cavalier Pickups) suggest that the CA helps keep the wood intact and less subject to stripping out, especially if frequent removal was expected. But he was talking about the neck holes at the time.

Look up the word punky in this thread, and you'll get some of Boris' comments about the wood core of these bodies. I am going to be proactive since I may want to change the bridge around and need the wood to be as stable as I can make it.

6. Michael A.

7. Michael A.

That is the first thing I've heard about on FB that makes me consider joining!

phaedrus likes this.
  8. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

Isn't that the truth.

9. TheVel

TheVel Tele-Meister

CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Lol!These days I only keep it active for distant friends,keeping up with bands I listen to&of course,the 51 group.

10. VanManNW

VanManNW TDPRI Member

New '51 owner needs some advice

So I drank the Kool-Aid and bought a new Candy Apple Red Squier 51 from Sweetwater about a month ago. It's the first electric I've ever owned that wasn't of the Ibanez/Floyde Rose/High Gain Humbukers ilk.

I don't want to say I haven't been enjoying it. But, the the new car smell is starting to wear off, and I might need some advice on where to go with it.

The first thing I did (after tightening all it's screws) was to head to the hardware store and buy shorter M3 grub screws for the saddles. Maybe it's my metal background, but I'm a palm muter and just couldn't stand the screws sticking out the top of the saddle everywhere.

After about two days of playing I had to tear the thing down again so I could polish the frets. Bending the strings was like running them across a file. Even now, although smooth, at times I swear I feel bumps while I'm playing. I guess a leveling is in order, as soon as I can stomach the cost of a fret file.

Now, after playing it for a while. I'm starting to get pretty annoyed that the high e-string pulls off the fretboard on an obnoxiously frequent basis. Maybe I'm a ham-fisted brute, but just sliding a bar chord up the neck will cause that thing to fall of the neck and make a terrible sound.

Everything seems to be fine. The strings run symmetrically down the neck. The bridge saddles seem to be centered and crowded together correctly. The nut isn't broken or misplaced.

I loosened and realigned the neck to give a little more space on the bottom e-string and crowd the top E-string to the edge of the fretboard. While this seemed to help, it felt a little weird to play, and seemed kind of "hack". So I moved it back to centered.

I'm going to go play some GC Tele's and see if I observe the same issues. Maybe I just need to jump a string size.

Has anyone else experienced such issues?

11. 77Davey

77Davey TDPRI Member

Nope, I have an older one though. My only issues are with the pickguard and though passible I want to replace the humbucker. Probably never get around to doing either.

12. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I only have original ones too. Have heard of numerous QC issues on the new S-51s, so I never ordered one. Fret work was pretty good on both of my originals, seems like SS frets as they don't seem wear down or divot as fast as typical frets, and one has been played a LOT.

Instead of shorter grub screws you could also shim the neck back a bit, then raise the saddles, giving you a sharper break angle as well. Especially good mod for the original ones, being top-leaders.

Love the original pups. Have no idea if the new ones are the same.

syrynx likes this.
  13. KennyHendrix

KennyHendrix TDPRI Member

Yikes, Bought mine used for 99 dollars.....oh well best 100 dollar guitar i ever played tho!
    No wonder they sold out!

14. KennyHendrix

KennyHendrix TDPRI Member

1951 sQUIRE RE-ISSUE

hERE'S ONE JUST LIKE THE ONE i BOUGHT ...CHECK OUT DEMO IF YOU THINK I AM CRAZY THIS BARGAIN ROCKS!!!! IC050722493 @ mUSIC 123

15. VanManNW

VanManNW TDPRI Member

Over the weekend I restrung the '51 with some 10-42's (stock must have been 9's, or less).
    I re-positioned the neck so as to get another 1/8" or so room for the small e-string at the 12th fret and crowd the large E-string on the top a little more.
    I then tensioned the truss rod. Set the saddle heights to give me about 3/32" at the 12th fret, and then fixed the intonation.
    I'm feeling a lot happier with it now.

What really makes me happy with it is that while I was at GC for strings, I played every tele they had on hand. A Pawnwshop Thinline, MIM Standard, MIA Standard, Squier CV, and a Fender Modern Player.

I got to say, not a damn one of those guitars made me as happy as my '51, and I believe every one costs two, if not three times as much.

Jimmy Duncan and syrynx like this.
  16. cam.man67

cam.man67 Tele-Meister

Just finished up my '51...and loving it! I've posted before about how much I dig the GFS Surf 90...well add their JM90 to the list! I wasn't satisfied with how the stock neck pup was so quiet, it seemed to be out of balance with the bridge. No longer! Obviously I had to route out the body and the pick guard I cut out with the router too. Not pretty up close but the pickup is so big the imperfections are hard to spot from a picture. As it's wired, my options are:

1:bridge pup only
    2:both pups out of phase (Quack!!;))
    3: neck pup

With push/pull up

1:bridge pup only
    2:neck pup only
    3: both, out of phase and in series (for humbucking)

image.jpeg

17. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

I really want to put a surf 90 in the bridge of mine. I like the stock neck tone though so I may have to rethink that one.

18. cam.man67

cam.man67 Tele-Meister

Where I found the most use for the surf 90/stock neck combo was for switching quickly between dirty and clean tones. The output difference was good for cleaning up a dirty amp. However, that is no longer my playing style, hence the change. Plus, I've been dying to try the JM90 in something.;)

19. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Hmm good to know since I actually have that issue on one amp. The neck PU is very glassy, which I like. I have a noiseless strat PU in the neck now and it's good, but I miss the stocker. I have to play musical pickups to fix it though. Either way congrats to you that you're happy with the new tone.

20. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Just had a thought. Maybe going with the neck Surf 90 in the 51 bridge position might balance out the output.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.