CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. optofonik

optofonik Tele-Meister

Waiting on the third one. Can't find a '51 reissue in stores so it has to be ordered online. First two had QC issues from knobs coming off in my hand and screws installed at angles, to the primer showing through the finish. Hopefully the third one will be the charm but I'm wondering if perhaps the reissues aren't as good as many say the originals were. I've starting to look at the Epi LP Plus Top Pro with coil splitting as an alternative, albeit a considerably more expensive option.

2. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

My original 51 has several pick guard screws in at an angle. You can also slightly see the wood grain through the blonde paint at one point. Nature of the beast with cheap, erm, inexpensive guitars. None of those things is particularly troubling to me.

3. optofonik

optofonik Tele-Meister

This wasn't wood grain though. It looked like the there was another color, grey primer looking, that had been painted over. Wood grain would have been sort of okay actually.

The odd angled screws were at too much of an angle to overlook when coupled with the knob coming off in my hand. I don't expect it to be perfect as long as it doesn't start to look like a Monday or Friday build. Third time's the charm I hope.

4. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

Basswood has kind of odd looking greenish grain. It might have just been too thin paint in your case. I also discovered recently when I tried to install a Switchcraft jack that the mounting plate is not centered over the hole in the body for it. Feature.

5. optofonik

optofonik Tele-Meister

Third time's the charm...

Returned home from Christmas vacation to find a replacement waiting for me. I gave it a visual inspection and made some adjustments to the saddles and neck, basic setup stuff. The intonation was spot on OOTB so, surprisingly, no adjustments needed there.

Fit and finish? The body's finish is still a bit thin so there is a slight hint of the wood's texture but no weird green color showing through. There are some rough spots but nothing obvious. The neck is straight and true with a smooth satin finish that feels as great as everyone says. It's solidly bolted to the body with no obvious gaps and no sharp frets.

Playing it unpluged I was struck by how good it sounded acoustically, the highs have a wonderful chime without sounding thin. The mids are well defined. The lows, I was surprised to hear them articulated so well. Everything sounded balanced. More balanced than the other two which leads to to the "why" of exchanging something because of things that are "an easy fix" or "don't effect playability".

Small QC issues that are "an easy fix" or "don't effect playability" are an indication as to the level of attention to detail that is given an instrument during QC. A few screws drilled at an angle, a blemish on the finish, a pot that needs Locktite to keep from being pulled off, are all signs of other potential issues that may not be so obvious. Such things can be an indication of myriad hidden issues although there is also a chance they might be confined only to the QC issues that are obvious. It's a gamble and ignoring seemingly innocuous QC problems is a gamble some are okay with. I'm not; $170.00 is pocket change to some but it's enough for me to pay attention to details.

I had to order, inspect, and exchange instruments until I found one that appeared to be solid; but I didn't settle and ended up with a keeper as a result. It's too bad these aren't kept in stock so as to avoid the shipping to and fro. It's not like it's any more or less expensive than other Squiers. Someone on another thread somewhere mentioned cutting into retailer's sales of Fenders but I find that hard to believe.

When I was a kid cheap guitars were POS, with the rarest of exceptions. Today there is a bit if work to be done on the picking and choosing but it's amazing what Fender and Gibson are doing with their Squier and Epiphone lines.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    syrynx likes this.
  6. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

Been testing and playing my "new" butterscotch 51 and I must say, this is an awesome guitar!! Mine is bone stock, 9 years old and obviously never been played: not a single scratch on it!
    This is the brightest guitar i ever owned. Very clear and glassy sound with it's own unique voicing. I love the "in between" position with the humbucker split and normal. It's not a strat, it's not a tele, it just sounds different. Higher output than my other guitars too.
    It takes some time getting used to the qualities this guitar brings, but I don't feel an urge to go and modify anything at all! I might just buy a second one... :)

syrynx likes this.
  7. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

Here's a couple of pictures i just made:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

syrynx likes this.
  8. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

Joining this club soon. Bought a basswood string through body, from the second release of these from what I've been able to find out, in what the seller called honeyburst, but I'd call tobacco burst.

Looks like this one, except the one pictured is top loading.
    [​IMG]

Planning one mounting a tele neck, and I have a white pickguard but would really like to find a black one. Reason being, I think it would look better with the color and it wouldn't look like a stock one.

Anyone know where I can find one? Been looking online, and haven't been able to find any black ones, only white, parchment, mother of toilet seat, blue sparkle (yargh) and even a sapelle veneer one (wrong color and way too expensive).

Also, I didn't know that the screws were shorter on these. I assumed (yeah, I know) that they were standard length tele screws. Can anyone tell me how long they should be, or know where to get a set?

And I'm looking for the electronics- pickups, controls, plate, output jack and plate. Coming up short on that as well.

Given that these were such a short run and low priced guitar it seems there are not a lot of spare parts floating around out there.

9. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

They come stock with a tele neck, & a nice one at that.

Get yourself some garolite from McMaster Carr & cut yourself a pg from your stock one. Or get a sheet of 3 ply. The garolite is very inexpensive.

10. 77Davey

77Davey TDPRI Member

Yup it is pretty much make it your self as to the pickguard. I don't like the white either.
    There is a face book group and a guy there is planning on making some but I think they are kind of expensive too, but I am a cheap ass :).

Screws will pretty much just be shorter, I think 1/4 inch due to the thinner body which is a 1/4 inch thinner.

I can't see buying just a body and then having to buy a neck saving you any money, but I don't know what you paid. Of course you can go rosewood though :)
    I bought my 51 just because of the neck that comes on them. Actually very nice.

11. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mine looks exactly like that. But that's because I took that picture!

syrynx likes this.
  12. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

I joined the club about 3 weeks ago.

I found this in a pawnshop for $46. I just couldn't pass it up. It also came with cool guitar strap.

Here's a pic of my '13 Squier '51:

[​IMG]

syrynx likes this.
  13. cam.man67

cam.man67 Tele-Meister

Doesn't WD Music carry '51 pick guards? http://www.wdmusic.com/pickguard_squ_5100.html

14. TheVel

TheVel Tele-Meister

From what I've read,a lot of the 51s have variances in the screw holes of the pick guards :/

15. 77Davey

77Davey TDPRI Member

16. GGBB

GGBB TDPRI Member

!!!

17. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

Too much for a used '13 Squire 51?

18. GGBB

GGBB TDPRI Member

Au contraire.

19. danzigdan

danzigdan TDPRI Member

I'm going to be a second-time '51 owner!

I have a recent red one and have an original sunburst on the way this week. It's coming to me without a pickguard, which is fine, because I'm not a fan of the way they look to be honest---I wish they were simpler.

At any rate I think the guitar is in great condition, but I'm thinking of a refinish in a new color anyway. I've seen LOTS of threads and great pics here. I'm thinking of filling-in the pickguard holes and going "guardless".

What I can't decide is if I want to attempt to totally take the old finish off? Or lightly sand-prime-and paint-over? I've seen quite a bit on that as well.

Decisions, decisions.......

20. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Congrats. A black one sold on eBay today for $82. I was tempted to bid but I don't need another guitar. Ironically the battery went out on my car today so probably good I didn't bid. Congrats. The burst is cool too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.