CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. sbrnrmf

sbrnrmf TDPRI Member

Sorry, I'm new to this! I'll get more pics of this amazing guitar!

2. sbrnrmf

sbrnrmf TDPRI Member

Just a little info on this Squier 51. I'd gotten it second-hand from a good friend of mine back in 2013. He was the original owner. I'd played it years ago when he'd owned it and I never liked it. He'd had it pro set-up and it played better. He was moving to the left coast and wanted to sell it off. I'd gotten it for a killer price with an Orange combo amp.

After some time, I didn't really care for it. I was never a huge strat or tele guy or even a Fender/Squier guy. So I'd tried to sell it on eBay as a guitar and for parts. Nobody wanted it. Then I'd just played it and the more I'd played it, the more I'd loved it. Then the fretboard got dirty and left stains and it started to look cooler. I'd learned some tricks of the trade with the saddle screws which kept coming loose. I'd used the clear nail polish trick and never had the problem again. I'd decided to make this more of an all-around guitar with the tremolo I'd gotten off a Rickenbacker copy.

A few years later, I'd wanted to get this checkerboard Hondo Explorer copy, but never got one. So I'd decided to just duct tape the 51. I dig it. With the duct tape and the fretboard getting dirtier every time I use it, I've learned to love this guitar more and more. And it has more of a sentimental value to me.

Love the sound of this guitar! The pickups are hot! This 51 was heavier than the Gibson Les Paul Melody maker with a P-90. The 51 was a lot louder too! I've always been a Gibson man for years and this Squier IS a million times better than this Melody Maker I'd owned. Go figure!

I'd never thought I'd fall in love with this guitar or keep it for as long as I have kept it. It's a keeper!

The guitar on the right is the Epiphone Wilshire reissue '66. I've always been a P-90 fan/Les Paul Jr TV dc.

3. sbrnrmf

sbrnrmf TDPRI Member

But I also love mini-humbuckers. I've played all of them and the hottest ones were the ones on a Gibson Firebird. I also used to have a 1964 Epiphone Wilshire which sounded amazing! But the most simple guitar I've always loved would have to be the Les Paul Junior TV double cutaway like Johnny Thunders. I've had many of them: Gibson, Epiphone, Dillion, etc.

The 2 guitars in the pic above are both made in Indonesia and have proven to be very well made and sound great! I'm very happy with the guitars I have.

4. sbrnrmf

sbrnrmf TDPRI Member

A close-up pic! [​IMG]

5. tomaline

tomaline TDPRI Member

Restoring Finish on new or worn vinyl pickguards

I discovered a product that I use on my car, "Wipe New" from as seen on TV.

Had a worn Squire 51 customer pickguard and applied Wipe New. Did a fantastic job at restoring the pickguard to a shiny, near new condition. I applied it and let it cure for about two hours before handling.

Lasts two years, according to the marketing on the box.

Instructions state to not get it on paint, so I am cautious and careful.

Works great and I will be using it to protect new pickguards, as well.

Runs anywhere from $ 11. to $ 15,00 per Wipe New kit.

Certainly cheaper that purchasing a new pickguard.

6. tomaline

tomaline TDPRI Member

Sealing the fingerboards of the new VM Squire 51...

I discovered on my new one that the fingerboard is hardly sealed. The frets are also, typically, full of oxidation and not crowned properly. This results in a very filthy fingerboard/

First, I crown the frets and use 000 steel wool to clean off the newly crowned frets and fingerboard. I then apply (liberally) a coat of boiled linseed oil with a rag and let sit for 45 minutes to an hour. I then wipe off any residue. I repeat the application one more time.

This seals and hardens the fingerboard surface without applying any finish,

Caution in use,,,Boiled linseed oil is highly flammable, so use caution, Also, it is said, that as part of the curing process, the linseed oil can get warm to hot. So be careful in disposing of the rags as they may catch fire. Just be careful.

I use boiled linseed oil once a year to renew all of my fingerboards.

7. tomaline

tomaline TDPRI Member

Vintage tinting and finishing a Fender or Squire neck.

Learned this from a great YouTube video....

Use MINWAX PolyShades 1 Step Stain and Polyurethane HONEY PINE. Comes in gloss or satin finishes.

You can use it on a fingerboard, as well, once you get your application technique down,

Used it to match a bad section of a Fender Squire neck.

This will get you where you want to go.

8. tomaline

tomaline TDPRI Member

Musicians Friend quality control.
    Purchased a new VM Squire 51 from MF.

Coil tap switch wouldn't respond.

Took apart the control plate and discovered a disconnected wire on the coil tap switch. Re-soldered it.

You get whatever they wish to send you.

They shipped my Squire Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster without the tremolo arm.

Oh well, you know the drill already.

9. tomaline

tomaline TDPRI Member

For minor surface scratches and dull guitar finish, I use Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl Remover.

Works better than most guitar polishes and does a very nice job.

10. tomaline

tomaline TDPRI Member

The best "Strat" I own is an old Casio MG-510 Midi guitar. The midi section tends to crap out over time as the capacitors bleed out.

The neck, quality and pickups on these guitars have to be played to believed.

I believe that they were made by Ibanez/Matsumoku plant back in the day..

11. tomaline

tomaline TDPRI Member

John Hiatt regularly used a Casio MG-510. I saw him using it in concert and with Eric Clapton.

They are expensive on the used market, but if you can get one cheap, give it some serious consideration.

Even if the midi section craps out the guitar side will work perfectly.

12. tomaline

tomaline TDPRI Member

Some word of advice for those who wish to try "Wipe New" to rejuvenate a warn pickguard ( vinyl-plastic material only!).

Use clean paper towels to apply in lieu of the microfiber cloths that come with the kit. These cloths tend to induce small bits of fiber into the finish you are applying. The paper towels will not.

Flow the "Wipe New" liquid onto the pickguard just like you would do with a wipe on polyurethane. "Wipe New" could be considered a poly for vinyl/plastic. Same technique.

Retracting my earlier statement, allow 6 to 12 hours to dry.

Liquid is flammable and somewhat noxious so be careful and use in a well ventalated area.

Cheers!

13. jrod1985

jrod1985 NEW MEMBER!

I traded a cheap yamaha acoustic for my 04 51

Attached Files:

14. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

No, they were made by Fuji Gen Gakki (name changed in 1989 to Fujigen), the same company which made Fender guitars in Japan for many years. Fuji Gen Gakki/Fujigen also made Roland synthesizer guitars and the Ibanez IMG2010 MIDI guitar (along with other Ibanez models) under contract.

The Ibanez brand is owned by Hoshino Gakki, and I have never seen any evidence that Hoshino Gakki has itself manufactured any guitars in the last half century. AFAIK, all Ibanez guitars in the modern era were manufactured under contract. IIRC, Hoshino Gakki / Ibanez did have a custom shop in Southern California for a while, beginning in the '90s, and I suppose it's possible that a small number of guitars were built from scratch there. But my suspicion is that most of the custom shop's instruments were assembled there from parts originating in Asia.

(I own two Casio MG-510s and a PG-380. I agree that they're splendid guitars.)

15. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

One of these in great shape at a local shop for $99. Pretty much flawless. Big fat neck iirc. I was shopping for something else, so I put it back.

16. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Go back and grab it! The neck alone is worth more than that, and they are very hard to find for sale anymore.

17. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

An MIJ pawnshop sold for under $300 this weekend. I stayed up waiting to bid and missed it by 6 minutes. I think it sold for about $265. I'm still pissed at myself. It would have matched my 05 squier 51 and been my 4th current black guard tele.

18. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

Here's a random band I found. The guitarist uses a very worn Squier 51. The band is named Free Throw.

19. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

Hi all!

Happy to be joining you! This weekend I'm treating myself with this beauty from 2006, the rare "butterscotch" version, out of a collection and it is supposed to be in mint condition:

[​IMG]

That'll go nicely with the 70's Bassman I'm picking up tonight!! :D

20. TheVel

TheVel Tele-Meister

Welcome!And nice find!Congrats

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.