CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. cam.man67

cam.man67 Tele-Meister

Here's an interesting '51 on eBay...not sure how I feel about the neck:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261943379065

Attached Files:

2. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

I am sure how I feel about the headstock.

3. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

Here's mine. It was made in 2005 but I got it in November of 2006.
    uploadfromtaptalk1435522967434.jpg

Sorry about the less than awesome picture. It is more yellow than the picture is letting on.

I replaced the tuners with Gotoh vintage-style ones. The saddles are now GraphTech. It's got a Switchcraft jack. The neck pickup is a Lace Hot Gold. I had a 26k Hot Gold Dually in the bridge but I recently swapped it out for the stock one. Methinks I like the stock better.

I've also got a TUSQ nut for whenever I get around to doing something with that.

Oh yeah, black knobs now too :)

4. TasunkaWitko

TasunkaWitko TDPRI Member

Update - my pickguard is in the mail as of today, and I expect to receive it before the end of the week. I'll try to get a few photos when it arrives, and am looking forward to seeing it on my '51.

If anyone is interested in something other than what they see on the website, I'd say that it would be worth shooting Andrew an email. He's a great guy to work with, and is really interested in getting people what they want.

Ron

5. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

How did it turn out?

6. TasunkaWitko

TasunkaWitko TDPRI Member

Hi, Marnold -

It turned out great, and I am impressed! It looks absolutely beautiful with all of that huge amount of real estate on the Squier '51 pickguard. Very professionally done and painted, with stunning depth to the pattern. The Desert Rider scheme is perfect, in my opinion, for the sunburst pattern on my '51.

I took a few photos when I put it on, but have not yet been able to format or upload them yet. This week is extremely busy at work, but I will post them at the first opportunity.

7. TheVel

TheVel Tele-Meister

Some really nice patterns on that site.Might have to look into to some for my Gretsch guitars

8. Jedadiah

Jedadiah Tele-Meister

Has anyone seen the brass replacement Squier '51 control plates on e-Bay? The ones with three holes for volume, tone and a toggle switch?

EDIT: It seems to have gone now! I could have sworn I saw them on there. Thinking about knocking some up myself, would anyone be Interested?

9. BadHorsie

BadHorsie Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have 3. This is a picture of my parts caster '51. Picture was missing from original post.

[​IMG]

hellopike likes this.
  10. Jedadiah

Jedadiah Tele-Meister

Been busy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, the bridge is brass as well, a Gotoh item with the chrome blasted off. I've done the same with the control plate (bead blasted) and then a tiny bit of Micromesh work. Still have two plates left!

[​IMG]

11. rider7

rider7 Tele-Meister

Very nice bridge replacement.

12. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I finally got around to completing the mods on my '51. I started with just the black pickguard instead of the white, then I did a full level and dress on the neck to get rid of some unwanted buzzing. For my first leveling job it came out great and plays really nice with low action. I followed Ron Kirn's tutorial, thanks Ron!

Then I installed better steel block saddles, a black GraphTech Tusq nut, and had some pickups wound by Zhangbucker, 6.5K/A5 single coil in the neck, and a 9.8K/A2 humbucker with a 7K split.

I put in a Switchcraft jack, Bourns push-pull and M/N blend pots (500K), and wired it all up with cloth wiring. I wasn't sure how the blend would work but the rotary three-way switch was driving me crazy so I figured I'd give it a try before either modding my control plate or picking up one that had a Tele/Strat switch cut in place of the rotary.

The verdict: I love this guitar even more than I did before :cool: It plays like a much more expensive guitar, and the new pickups give me even more of that Squier 51 sound that I liked with the stock pickups, with a bit more of a rich tone from the bridge, and a split that didn't have the icepick that I found with the stock humbucker. Even though the blend is between a single and a humbucker, I find it doesn't sound that much different, if at all, from using the three-way, which I tested before installing the blend pot.

Just for fun, I finished it off with some Jaguar knobs, giving it a little bit of all of Fender's best.

Attached Files:

13. TheVel

TheVel Tele-Meister

Very nice!Well done mod!

14. jonny reb

jonny reb NEW MEMBER!

Hey folks, I'm a new member but I've been using this site for years as a reference, especially when I was on the hunt for a Squire '51. I got mine in a pawnshop for cheap(er) and it's one of the originals. She's been on a few tours, baptized with some sweat and blood, and is my daily kick-around axe, usually sitting on the couch waiting for me to watch television and run some scales.

Recently I decided to switch from the stock pickguard and humbucker, so I made a pickguard from an old .50 cal ammunition can and put a GFS Memphis Retrotron in the bridge. It's a screaming blues machine!!!

In case anyone is interested, I do have the original humbucker and white pickguard, both in good shape, and I'm willing to sell them, so PM me or something if you are in need.

Anyway, good to finally be a member!
    Jonny

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  15. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Sweet, love the pickguard! Of all my guitars I find the 51 to be the most "fun", dunno why. Maybe cause it was so cheap (and I can only afford less expensive guitars), or easy to mod, but the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

16. TheVel

TheVel Tele-Meister

Looks awesome!i like it!

17. cam.man67

cam.man67 Tele-Meister

Nice! I had a memphis Retrotron in a Squier VMTD a while back...great pickup choice!:) that's a cool looking guard, too.:)

18. cam.man67

cam.man67 Tele-Meister

Lets start this agin! Here's the final iteration of my '51...I wound up going back to the stock neck pickup and flat love it! It pairs very nicely with the Surf 90, and the out-of-phase tones I'm getting with both pickups are great.:) very funky.;)

Attached Files:

19. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

It's funny, I have some really nice (and much more expensive) guitars, yet my Squier '51 is most often times the first one I reach for when I get home from work and want to just noodle around for a half hour. It just feels and sounds right.

20. TheVel

TheVel Tele-Meister

I just recently tuned one of my 51s to open E for when I want to mess around with slide stuff.Sounds really nice with the TV Jones pickups I have in it and a little bit of overdrive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.