1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. sukramsc

sukramsc TDPRI Member

Thanks, yeah offcourse. The slideswitches turns the pickups on or off (instead of pickup-selector switch, also works as kill switch). The other two is south coil/humbucker/north coil for each pickup).

2. sukramsc

sukramsc TDPRI Member

I also replaced the pots, with two simple 500k for volume and tone.

3. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

Sorry I've fallen behind on this thread. :oops:

You're correct, the bridge pickup is not stock. The stock bridge PU has no adjustable pole pieces.

The pole pieces on the first edition '51 stock neck pickup are staggered, but symmetrically, following the radius of the fingerboard fairly closely. (They don't have the very tall 3rd string pole piece and very short 2nd string pole piece I've seen on some Strat pickups.)

I'd surely like to know more about it myself. I can guess, though, that its perpetrator must have seen and/or heard Phil deGruy.

As I've previously posted in this thread, my 2005's bridge pickup read 9.28k (both coils), 4.64k (split). My neck pickup read 3.89k. (Values were measured in circuit with the volume pot maxed, so actual resistances are slightly higher). IronFeliks reported that his measured 10.48K for the bridge humbucker and 3.7K for the neck.

4. cam.man67

cam.man67 Tele-Meister

Interesting! I thought for sure those were faulty readings on the neck, given that mine had previously tested at 7.8 k. Guess what? Faulty ohmmeter!

So the correct value, out of the guitar, for my stock neck pickup is 2.85K. Shockingly low, really, considering how loud it is...I would have guessed much closer to a 6-7k output.

5. bazza spock

bazza spock TDPRI Member

Thanks for the info syrynx.
    I still don't know what the black-poled HB is that's currently in it but I'll get to the bottom of it soon.

I've big plans for modifying the '51 so I'll report back here once it's all done.

6. ESP77769

ESP77769 TDPRI Member

2005 Squier 51 went to "shreds"...

Here's some mods on a 2005 51: Warmoth scalloped neck, Stratohawk hot 6-7k alnico II neck pickup, GFS die-cast bridge saddles, Red Jewel knobs. Gonna get some chrome pickup rings, Ebanol nut (to replace the Floyd Rose nut) Nut works good for a Floyd for now, just loosen the bolts a bit, and a layer or two of scotch tape over the nut slots. Got tired of the "cheap feeling" stock 51 neck, even after fret dressing, filing, various adjustments. The Warmoth neck dulled the brightness of the sound, which is good, and I'd think it would have done the opposite!! (with the stock white pickguard on, it looks like the Robin Guitars from the 80's (remember those??) May put a SD JB humbucker in eventually, but the 2005 stock humbucker is one of the better ones I've ever heard. The neck heel on the body is a little thin on 51's, but overall, great feel & sound, one of the best I've ever owned!!

Attached Files:

7. ESP77769

ESP77769 TDPRI Member

That is one of the most modded guitars I've ever seen, someone put a LOT of thought into that!! (electric Shakti tribute band??)

8. ESP77769

ESP77769 TDPRI Member

That is one of the most modded guitars I've ever seen, someone put a LOT of thought into that!! (electric Shakti tribute band??)

9. jhtazstang

jhtazstang NEW MEMBER!

10612771_10204932871701630_3448658682728307821_n.jpg

10494593_10204932872341646_3035249248543847710_n.jpg

11403442_10204932871981637_2362640035998205610_n.jpg

1504945_10204932872781657_179879188068826220_n.jpg

Got a '51 that's been hanging around for a while and I am considering putting it up to offers. Anyone know what it might go for and if there is any interest? Thanks and "Rock On"

10. TasunkaWitko

TasunkaWitko TDPRI Member

ATTENTION: ALL SQUIER '51 OWNERS!

I think I have found a wonderful solution to a nagging issue that many - if not all - of us have encountered with our '51s.

When I got my Squier '51 (2005, Sunburst) in May, I wanted to switch out the pickguard. It came with a white one, but I just wanted something on there that would make it my own.

As we all know, the pickin's are pretty slim where alternative pickguards for the Squier '51 are concerned. I almost ordered one from WD, but one day - purely on a whim - I clicked on the TDPRI article featuring DecoBoom Custom Pickguards:

www.decoboom.com

I immediately fell in love with the concept - especially his MidCentury and OutLaw collections - and emailed the owner, Andrew, asking if he had a pattern for the Squier '51.

His reply was that he didn't, but he would love to have one.

My reply was that I (and presumably many other '51 owners) would love for him to have one too, so when my '51 arrived, I sent my pickguard to him so that he could use it as a template.

I am happy to say that Andrew emailed me today, saying that the template is cut and he is ready to go. Considering my guitar and the music that I play, I went with his Desert Rider pattern, and can't wait for it to arrive:

[​IMG]

If anyone else is interested, here is the link that goes directly to DecoBoom's current pattern page:

http://decoboom.com/collections/all

As you can see, there are some really nice engraved and painted patterns to choose from, and they can be as inexpensive or as expensive as you want them to be, depending on your taste and your commitment to your '51. I found Andrew to be very friendly and easy to work with, and cannot recommend him enough - he truly is a class act.

I wanted to share this news, and hope that it will be well received.

Ron

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  11. Doubletriode

Doubletriode Tele-Meister

Thanks TasunkaWitko!!!
    Nice to giscover a very interesting source of custom and really original pickguards.
    I will keep it as a reference when the "pimp my guitar" mood strikes again
    ;-)

12. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm all for cool custom PG's, but the thing that drove me away is the cost. I could get a few sheets of material for those prices.

Thanks though.

13. cam.man67

cam.man67 Tele-Meister

Cool man! Thanks for putting the legwork in getting these made.:)

As an aside, how's your '51 acquisition treating you? Have you found out whether the stock humbucker works or not with old school country music?

14. TasunkaWitko

TasunkaWitko TDPRI Member

G'morning, guys, and thanks for the comments so far - considering that many of the "universal patterns" are only 45$, I'd say that our options have opened up quite a bit. You CAN spend more, if you want to, but it's not necessary.

@cam.man67 - Howdy! I gotta say, so far I am indeed loving the stock pickups, as they have exceeded my expectations by a country mile. As I play and gain experience, both at home and in front of "crowds," (20 or 25 people, tops), I am learning when and how to use the pickups depending on the song or sound that I am looking for - or the function that I want the guitar to serve.

I am still strongly considering getting a "vintage" Strat pickup for the neck, to replace the stock one, but this is more for my own curiosity than anything. I may also replace the humbucker someday, but for now I see no real reason to, at all. If any modifications that are made, I will absolutely keep the "stock" parts.

And, now that all of my "old-school" accessories are here (tweed case, cables, strap etc.), I think I've got something that is not only unique but also sounding very nice. I am very happy with this guitar, and consider myself to ahve gotten an extremely good player at an exceptional price.

The only real fly in the soup is that the B and/or (hi) E string tend to get just a little weird now and then. I'll be in tune, then while playing a chord, it seems almost as if one of those strings will sometimes slide out of tune a bit, then sometimes slide back in (or require re-tuning). It might be the bridge, it might be the strings, it might be temperature variations - or it could very possiby be me or my fingers. Whatever it is, I will nail it down sooner or later, as I do a few of the normal things (replace the nut and strings, possibly get a different bridge etc.). I do not consider this a serious problem, as the difference is only noticeable to those who are listening for it, and it is easily remedied.

So far, so good!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  15. JoelBeaupre

JoelBeaupre TDPRI Member

Fanatical Mods! Still a 51? Or is it an original guitar now?

Hey Y'all,
    Thanks in advance for any comments or replies! I hope you enjoy the description and pictures!

I'll start with the finish mod's and then post again with more...

LOOKS
    *aged control plate, neck plate, bridge plate, saddles, tuners, string guides and screws - all protected by finish wax to prevent further oxidation.

*Factory thick gloss polyester finish (tobacco burst) replaced with a thin, aged, burnt/flamed finish - Autumn-like remnants of orange to brown to black, like leaves afire. Sealed by French Polish (shellac) and finished with tinted wax for a semi-gloss look and natural feel.

*hand painted pickups, molten lava theme.

*custom waterslide volcano headstock decal, "Hellicrafters" - a play on the vintage radio manufacturer, "Hallicrafters."

*custom knob plate taken from the dial plate of a vintage Hallicrafters radio, changed to read "Hellicrafters."

*vintage 'Chicken Head' knob (pan-select)

*Hand-made mahogany pick-guard, worn as if by aggressive playing.

*refinished neck: Vintage amber stain followed by French-polish, sanded to 1200 grit for an exceptionally smooth feel and sealed with tinted wax. Aged by hand for a played-in look: fingerboard wear, neck back wear - all done by protective, tinted wax rather than removing wood.

Attached Files:

16. JoelBeaupre

JoelBeaupre TDPRI Member

Fanatical Mods! Still a 51? Or is it an original guitar now? (2)

Here's that continued list...

BODY
    *converted to string-through with custom walnut string-through retainer on back with Tele style ferrules

*routed for significant weight reduction

*extra single-coil route in middle position (hidden under pick-guard) to make a middle pickup easy to install.

*neck pocket cleaned and trued for better contact with the neck

ELECTRONICS
    *replaced stock neck pickup magnets with AlNicO 3 Gibson Firebird magnets, giving it P-90 like power and focus (sounds like a beefed up Strat)

*replaced stock bridge pickup magnet with AlNicO 2 bar magnet for a warmer, PAF sound (has lots of mid-range snarl).

*retained the coil-tap on volume pot to split the humbucker into a single-coil.

*replaced stock rotary pickup-selector switch with a pan: start with either pickup and blend in as much or as little of the other as you want. A detent on pan pot marks the mid-way position (both pickups full on).

NECK
    *reshaped original 'boat' neck profile to a custom, asymmetrical soft V. The apex of the V is offset to the bass side of the neck, nearer the joint of the thumb. Plays as-if the neck fits the contour of the playing-hand, with no resistance as you slide from 1st position up the neck for leads.

*stock plastic nut replaced: installed Earvana compensated nut for better intonation, reshaped by hand for better string paths.

HARDWARE
    *underside of bridge plate ground flat for better contact with the body and increased sustain

*saddles replaced with 3, traditional brass barrel saddles.

*barrel saddle for B and E strings is reversible for a sitar sound (just flip up-side-down and reinstall).

*New Fender-brand blank neck plate.

Attached Files:

17. JoelBeaupre

JoelBeaupre TDPRI Member

Fanatical Mods! Still a 51? Or is it an original guitar now? (3)

Here's the problem I'd like to pose to the forum: I want to sell this guitar, and I need your opinions as to whether it merits pricing you'd find on custom instruments, or whether it should be priced according to what it began as (an '05 '51).

My sense of things is that, post-mods, it really approaches a totally different instrument.

Thanks and I hope you have enjoyed the posts!

Attached Files:

18. JoelBeaupre

JoelBeaupre TDPRI Member

On the Sitar 51 Above...

I can't tell you much, but I believe that bridge is an EYB Sitar bridge made in Germany. It has intonatable saddles and is pricey, but well made. The bridge is the first generation design; second-generation has a built in string anchor. As you can see, the owner has rigged one up out of an old bridge plate. The one criticism I have of this first-gen bridge is that the downward pressure of the strings across the saddles is tricky with the EYB tailpiece that comes with it (which I don't see here). I haven't tried his 2nd gen.
    If you want to try a quick and dirty method to get sitar sounds, try installing barrel-type Tele saddles, and file the string paths on each saddle: widen the string paths and create an arc with no 'drop off' ledge and the strings will buzz! Keep the other side of the barrels stock so that you can reverse it back to a regular guitar! I did that on the B-E saddle of my modded 51, and then flipped it back to the guitar side so that it is there whenever someone might want it...

Attached Files:

19. marnold

marnold TDPRI Member

I had to get rid of the original neck pickup on my 51. If I bent a string (particularly on the high E), the volume would drop dramatically. I did measure the original bridge pickup. It is 10.6k in full humbucking mode and 5.3k split.

20. JoelBeaupre

JoelBeaupre TDPRI Member

custom pickguard suggestion

Dear All,
    I've had good luck with purchasing acoustic guitar sides (or better yet an orphan side) and using the wood for '51 pickguards. I take the guitar side piece, double it up to create a seam as with bookmatched tops, and glue it together. To minimize the seam, place the pieces together on a piece of scrap wood, and then nail around the perimeter a bit closer so the two halves are forced upward. Glue and set something heavy on the top of the seam to push the two halves back together. Then draw out your pickguard shape and cut with a coping saw. Sand and finish with whatever. Orphan accoustic sides can sometimes be had for just $9. But you usually have to go with whatever wood it happens to be. Sometimes it's a pleasant surprise though, like birdseye maple or mahogany.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.