1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Dauntless

Dauntless Tele-Meister

Finally got pics
    All dressed up and ready to party!!
    CV neck, vintage bent steel saddles and vintage tuners.
    Love the stock pick ups and finish

Out of 20, she is my GO TO!!

Squier modded 51.jpg

Squier modded 51 bridge.jpg

Squier modded 51 neck.jpg

2. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

3. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

Thinking about these again. I had a lot of fun with them the first time around, but the Pawn Shop 51 is just a bit too much for my blood. I love that it's got a string thru body. Speaking of the body, how does the thickness compare to a standard Strat? I know someone said they felt it was a tad thinner, but has anyone measured?

Dauntless, did you notice any difference in the neck pocket when you dropped in a CV neck? Was it pretty much the same fit?

4. Dauntless

Dauntless Tele-Meister

Perfect fit, no need to shim or anything. :cool:

5. warthog

warthog Tele-Meister

Dang, so I think I got a bit hung up on how everyone liked to mod these guitars. I just changed the pups in my new 51 and after lots of trials and errors, I still haven't gotten it right!

Not to mention I REALLY liked the sound from the bridge HB. I am definitely going to put the HB back in. I don't know what I was thinking as to me the stock bridge had an amazing sound... I guess it would be better? Argh!

I will want to switch out the rotary switch for a toggle, but that will happen later.

Moral of the story, give the pickups a chance!!

6. boney

boney Tele-Meister

i need a wiring diagram for stock 51 .

7. Dauntless

Dauntless Tele-Meister

8. boney

boney Tele-Meister

thank you.

9. Skriv

Skriv TDPRI Member

Hello All. New member of the '51 club here. Relatively new to playing in general.

I had G.A.S. for a long time. I played some many different guitars I couldn't decide what I wanted. A buddy of mine saw this and showed me. I looked and looked and couldn't find one to play. On a whim I ordered one, even with some of the concerns I saw people post. I am very glad I did! I love the '51.

My '51 was delivered last night. Two tone burst. Out of the box, no major defects that I can see. The only thing I see that the post on the radial selector is ever so slightly bent. When I flipped it over while checking it out I could see the nut on the selector and not on the volume. When I took the knob off I could see it. It doesn't affect operation at all, and you really have to look, so I am good with it. It was very cold today, so after it arrived and I checked it out, I let is sit for a couple hours to warm up. Wiped it off now and then to get the condensation off.:D

It sounds great, I did notice that the neck pickup is slightly tilted back, like someone else here noted, but when I looked real close, it seems like the tilt makes the pickup parallel to the strings. I played it for about 2 and half hours last night. (fingers are sore today).:D There was a bit of fret buzz with the low E string but I think a good setup should remedy most of it.

The only thing I may change anytime soon is the pickguard. Think I might put a black or black pearl guard on it. The white just feels wrong.

Skriv

10. boney

boney Tele-Meister

i just delivered a 51 i built year's ago. after some neck work and better wiring , a little bridge ajustment. the thing rocked. one of the walnut bodies we used to make . my wife thought i was playing my 57 strat. no just the old 51. hated to take it back.

11. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Too many pages to peruse, but does anyone have any info on the old '51 modders site? It seems to have disappeared.

12. Jedadiah

Jedadiah Tele-Meister

It's been unavailable for a while now. A great pity, it was an excellent resource and some of the modded examples were incredible!

13. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Glad you're enjoying your 51! Mine's fun but needs some attention, that's for sure.

Anyway, any idea where to get replacement pickguards for these? I haven't been able to find any so far.

14. Skriv

Skriv TDPRI Member

WDmusic.com They make guards for many types.

I actually started looking for guards before it was even delivered. They have some that get pretty pricey though.

Here is the direct link to the '51 guards.
    http://www.wdmusic.com/pickguard_squ_5100.html

I am thinking either Pearl Black or Smoke Mirror. Thoughts?

I think I may replace the strap buttons too. They feel cheap and thin.

Skriv

15. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I also have the burst version. The white PG just looks overwhelming on it, so I got a small sheet of tort to cut one myself, for that traditional P Bass look. Yet another project sitting on my desk.

16. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

Gabrielle84 likes this.
  17. Bugeyed Earl

Bugeyed Earl Tele-Meister

Thanks for the link syrynx, I wasn't aware of these guitars when that forum was in its heyday. Now that I've got one, I'm looking for inspiration to deal with the bland white pickguard (but I don't feel the need to make any non-cosmetic changes.)

18. Duke

Duke Tele-Meister

I need a million dollars.

19. Skriv

Skriv TDPRI Member

Here she is in her new Crib. :lol:

[​IMG]

Any thoughts on a good blues Neck Pup? If I change the guard, I'll probably have to change out the white Pup. MIght as well do it all at once.

Skriv

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    Treynor likes this.
  20. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

I like this guy on YouTube. First video is a review. Second is he modded his '51 with a Bigsby. Pretty cool.

with Bigsby mod.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.