CLUB "51" The Squier 51 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bfgz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

If you are even able to find them now, in Europe expect to pay between 150-200 euros.

2. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

3. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, that's what mine looks like.

4. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Well dang it,I was hoping to find one with single coils or as a secnd choice P90s..I don't want HBs in a Fender.I already have guitars with HBs.Love that SC sound..I'm always lokkin for something a little different to appease my GAS...
    Thanks for all the help...

5. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

You may be surprised with the 51 and it's split HB switch. I've also seen the HB replaced with GFS Dream90 or Mean90.

6. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

CAUTION!!!!! If you swap the neck, be sure to use the Squier 51 neck screws. Standard Tele neck screws will be too long and could go through the fingerboard.

Here's my blonde, known as "The Mutt"

Allparts nitro vintage neck, Gotoh staggered tuners, string through bridge, Duncan Mini in the neck, 500K Alpha pots, Coil splitter switch, Switchcraft output jack and 3 position pickup selector, blank neck plate. Also a home-made pickguard.

All that's left from the original is the body, Bridge PU, Knobs, strap buttons, neck screws control plate and jack plate.

Attached Files:

7. bfgz

bfgz Tele-Meister

Zook that looks like a great guitar. :cool:
    If i can find another one i would like to do something like that, i love those SD Mini's they have great tone IMO.

I would also like to incorporate a bridge like Boris had on his. I love the 3-barrel setup.

Fun guitars!

8. BadHorsie

BadHorsie Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have 3. This is a picture of my parts caster '51

[​IMG]

9. Detman101

Detman101 Banned

Thank you! I agree, the thicker the tele-style neck...the better.
    *drool*
    I would kill for one of those Eric Johnson signature guitar necks. It is a fat chunky boat-shaped C that fits my hand so perfectly....

Dn

10. Filthy 51

Filthy 51 TDPRI Member

Well Papa Joe just remember that the '51 is a great modders guitar. If you find one you can easily change pretty much everything to make it what you want. If you can't do all the work yourself, I'm sure you can find a good local tech to help you out. If you want two single coils go for it! If you want a P-90 and single go for it. If you want to smash it and use it for firewood, go for it!

My '51 only has a bridge humbucker. That all I pretty much use. It is all up to your preferences. Make the guitar that you want! That is exactly what I did, twice.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Filthy, you need to post some images of the black Squier 51 that you lost a while back after that show in New York City.

Maybe someone here at TDPRI has seen your guitar.

12. Filthy 51

Filthy 51 TDPRI Member

great idea BB, I didnt even think of it, thanks!

So here it is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I left it at a club in NYC in March '08 and no one has seen since. I am sure it is somewhere. It has a custom painted headstock with a "Squier - Filthy '51" logo. Planet Waves tuners, Seymour Duncan Distortion PUP in bridge and lil '59 in the neck. No pickguard and has a single coil PUP ring in the neck position. Also had volume and tone as well as a 3 way les paul type toggle. It was in a black Coffin Case and had a CBGB plush guitar strap.

If you happen to see if please email me.

13. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Strange, I posted this last night, but it's gone now. Here goes again...

Got this for $65 at Guitar Center. I haven't changed anything on it, I like it fine pretty much as is:

[​IMG]

Victor 51 and Treynor like this.
  14. bfgz

bfgz Tele-Meister

That is a beautiful guitar Bill!

I still can't believe the price that some of you paid for them. The toy guitars and junk sold in the discount stores cost more than these "real" instruments. I think i paid $165 used and i thought that was a terrific deal?

Maybe they are not perfect guitars but to me they have a unique sound, feel, look and price that all add up to a significant "WOW" factor.

While i would like to get another one to perform some creative mod's on, i do very much like the sound and versatility of them stock. The coil tap mixed with the "colorful" sound of the neck pickup is pretty sweet to my ears.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Those of who paid $ 69-99 tend to overlook what other must pay to join the show.

But you can have a lot of fun, hacking away at the guitar and doing mods in minutes that should by all rights take hours:

[​IMG]

It'll look good, once the repaint is done.

hellopike likes this.
  16. jrfrond

jrfrond Tele-Holic

Even though I love the one my son has that I modded for him (has a GREAT neck!), I am STILL bent on doing a clone with the USACG 51-STP body in swamp ash with my favorite AllParts TMO-C neck.

Personally, I think Fender should release this guitar as a new flagship model, not as a back-of-the-bus Squier cheapie. They did have a Custom Shop version though.

17. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

The reason why this guitar sold so well was that it was :

#1 CHEAP!

#2 Pretty good quality for what it is.

#3 FUN!

Winnie

18. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

I just picked up an 05 sunburst in excellent condition but the hardtail bridge is topload. I see some in the thread here that are string through. Are there both or have the string throughs been modded?

Pics coming later as this thing needs a through cleaning, setup and restrung. Some nice lookers in here for sure. Thats what got me to droolin and I knew exactly where one of these could be had for not much money.

19. PMan

PMan TDPRI Member

I've got a neck for one, but that's it for now. I bid on eBay for the neck AND body of the same guitar, but got sniped on the body right at the end. I want a sunburst, but I see another body up now that is black. Maybe I'll get that and repaint it red.

20. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Now I know why the guitar was so low price. The volume/pull pot has some kind of short or bad connection in it. Anyone have a problem with them? Can these be fixed or where to get replacement that will work?

Here is the pic of the git.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.