Cloudy Satin Wipe on Poly with Streaks

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by bfisch, Apr 1, 2020.

1. bfisch

bfisch TDPRI Member

I am finishing a guitar body and head stock with wipe on poly. I started by building up several coats of gloss wipe on and got a decent looking finish with the gloss wipe on. Ultimately though, I want a more satin finish, so I added a coat of satin wipe on poly as a final coat. The result is that at some angles, the finish looks very nice, but in direct light the finish doesn't even look satin, it looks extremely cloudy and there are visible streaks. I understand there are flattening agents in the satin poly to flatten the sheen, but should it look this cloudy and streaky in direct light? Have any of you had better results with satin wipe on poly?
    IMG-1220.JPG IMG-1219.JPG

2. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Meister

Just curious. what did you use to wipe on? Paper towels will bleed white pigment into the Poly.

I built some stairs for a buddy recently and prefinished everything in satin Minwax poly. I used a clean auto polish applicator pad (white cotton/terry) to wipe the finish on and had these results with very little clouding.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.