1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Closed back speaker cab - recommendation

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by uriah1, Jul 10, 2020.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Recently acquired a small closed back 12" speaker cab.

Tried it (using correct ohm) to a couple amps and it sounds a
    tad flubby. I think there is some kind of hemp speaker in it.

Do ceramics or alnicos sound better in closed back? I know
    there is a lot of sound and pressure bouncing around in
    those things. I had 4x10 closed back hundred years ago
    that sounded decent. But, a 12., not sure.

Ideas?

2. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

uriah1 likes this.
  3. 100LL

100LL Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

can you show us what cab you acquired? Or tell us the brand and model if it's from a known manufacturer. Also the speaker make/model would be quite helpful to know.

PhredE likes this.
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

It's a Supro Titan 1742.
    Did not pop open roof yet, but says its hp12..Emi Hemp

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Closed backs sound dreamy to me in a music room, but flubby and terrible in a gig situation. Especially if the cab is too deep. That's about all I have for you. But a Hemp cone probably not helping. A brighter speaker may help.

uriah1 and PhredE like this.
  6. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

https://suprousa.com/extension-cabs/1742-titan-extension-cabinet/
    It looks like a re-branded C-Rex - which seem to fall into the 'love it, or hate it' kind.

I would offer two suggestions in order:

Stuff the box with polyfill and see if that does the trick for you (that's the lower-cost first alternative)
    If not, do like schmee said: swap the speaker to a tighter/brighter sounding one.

uriah1 likes this.
  7. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

remember - if you ever build a closed-back cabinet, make the back removable, in case you ever want to change it to an open-back cabinet. Supro apparently didn't think far enough ahead.

Andy B, uriah1 and PhredE like this.
  8. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

What amp are you driving the head with?
    Ceramics and alnico's can both sound good, but "sounding good" is super subjective. I had ceramic Warehouse G12C/S for a Bandmaster, and have Weber Alnico 10's in a tremolux cab. Both sound good but different.

with your Supro cab, it was designed to sound good with the titan amp - with other amps, YMMV... and as to why they didn't build it as a convertible back to be open/closed/partially closed, it's an extension speaker cab for an open back combo.

9. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Yup, so true. I use two panel backs -- the jack is attached to one (usually the upper), the other is removable with two (or maybe four) screws.. easy and flexible.

uriah1 likes this.
  10. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I agree that another option worth trying is to convert it to an open back. I tend to prefer open backs at gigs because the sound spreads around more. The sound coming out of the back and sides of the amp is like a monitor for the other guys on stage and I think it also reduces the overall beamy-ness of the amp going out to FOH.

11. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

Funny - I prefer the opposite if we're playing on a state close to the wall, as otherwise it's difficult to control how much amp is in the mix. I used to gig with my Princeton reverb for shows where we knew we'd have excellent monitors, time for a soundcheck, and the wall was 15 feet back and covered with pipe & drape. For shows on a tighter stage with amps against the wall, I'll bring my Tremolux or the MAZ18, both with closed cabs.

Definitely a personal preference, but also depends on the wattage and what that extra bloom does to the mix. Not sure on the beamy-ness, but that could be phase cancellation as the rear signal mixes with the front...

12. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Maybe borrow & try a 12" celestion gold in ported close back & beam blocker. See what you think for lead. Rhythm I'd suggest g12-65 creamback less blocker. JMO & experience.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.