Cloning a Silvertone 1482

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by ArcticWhite, Aug 19, 2018.

1. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

Hey, I'm seriously considering adding a one tube reverb circuit to this amp. Can't stop thinking about it, because I have a couple of unused tube sockets, and a few Hammond Reverb tanks.

And because I might even have the only Silvertone 1482 with built-in Reverb in existence.

Anyone got a schematic they recommend for this thing?

symbiotic likes this.
  2. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Do you the extra current to spare for a couple of preamp valves. I would use a whole 12at7 to drive the reverb tank and a single triode for recovery out of the tank and then using the spare triode as an additional gain stage after the reverb stage because they load the circuit down quite a bit. So I'd pretty much copy the reverb circuit in a fender AB763 but instead of a cathode follower I would put in a gain stage with a voltage divider before it to reduce the gain to get unity gain across the entire reverb circuit. This would put the channels out of phase though so maybe you would just want to just go with the cathode follower if your jumpering the channels.

My concern would be that adding reverb would change even the dry tone of the amp due to the mixing reistor and cap. If I were to do this I would add the reverb to one channel since the channels in this amp are so similar as it is. I would want it between the tone and the volume so that the reverb circuit gets the EQed signal.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Nickfl and ArcticWhite like this.
  3. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Sorry i just realised after my last post doesnt read well after I edited it. In the first paragraph my suggestions are based on having the reverb only on one channel. They would be out of phase because a valve/tube flips the signal when used as a gain stage. So the additional gain stage means the reverb channel would have a flipped signal because it has 1 extra gain stage. The cathode follower wont flip the signal but will buffer it.

ArcticWhite likes this.
  4. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

I've been tinkering around with this amp.
    I put a grid leak bias input on the second channel, added a switchable bypass capacitor to the second preamp tube, and added a switched NFB loop.

Now I'm getting ready to add the one tube reverb circuit. The 1482 is almost the same amp as this Danelectro Centurion.

Planning on doing it as shown, without a dedicated reverb transformer, and just a single 6CG7 tube. Anyone got advice or comments before I do it?

I'm running out of space in this thing, so I can't do much more..

Dano Centurian.gif

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.