Clip on tuner with cent indication or programmable "sweetened" tunings

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kplamann, May 30, 2020.

1. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

A thread from a couple of weeks ago reminded me of the James Taylor sweetened tuning for acoustic quitar, see video below. He recommends to tune the strings slightly flat in varying degrees by defined amounts of cents.

I have a tuning app ("Waves") on my telephone which indicates frequencies. I made the calculation of the frequencies of the Taylor tuning and experimented with it on my acoustic guitars with really satisfying results.

However, tuning to a frequency sheet is not really practical in daily routine. I would need a clip on tuner indicating the deviation from equal temperament in cents, like the one James Taylor uses himself. Even better would be a tuner with programmable "sweetened" tunings.

The "Petterson Strobo Clip HD" appears to be a nice device (more info here) which provides sweetened tunings, but the James Taylor one is not part of them. Can anybody confirm that it is possible to program and store personal sweetened tunings, as this review suggests? I am less bothered about the absence of a cent indication as I can make the conversion from frequency to cents myself.

Are there other tuners which are capable of storing personal sweetened tunings and indicate cents?

2. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

I have the Peterson and yes, you can create and store your own sweeteners. I think the limit is 40 or 50. They have a whole library of them on their web site, including the James Taylor tuning.

Unless they've changed it recently, the only downside is that the only way you can program the tuner is with Chrome.

Other than that, it's an excellent tuner.

kplamann likes this.
  3. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

Thanks for the info!

The reviews are indeed typically very good for the Peterson and I think I'll get one despite the price. Tuners are objects you manipulate so often that it is certainly worthwhile to get a good one.

That's a strange limitation to permit only one specific browser. I'll then download Chrome and use it only for that - or is it active behind the scenes even when it is not active? With Google you never know...

4. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

As I tell Mrs. Blrfl on occasion, buy it nice or buy it twice. Peterson makes a good product.

Google developed an interface called WebUSB for exposing USB devices to web applications. Chrome is the only browser that supports it (and it's turned off by default). WebUSB is going through the standardization process, so you may see it on more browsers in the future if it's ratified. If you're worried about what Chrome might do behind your back (not an unfounded fear), run it in a VM and pass the USB device through to it.

5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have the Peterson...haven't tried the additional turnings offered, but plan to use the 12 string specific tune in the future.

kplamann likes this.
  6. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Man... I really wanted JT to strum a few chords at the end of that video to demonstrate his tuning practice. What a let down.

kplamann likes this.
  7. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I played in an all-original band a number of years ago... I was the main song writer for the band, bringing finished music to the table, with melody ideas, allowing our lead singer to write his own lyrics, etc.

I would always tune my guitar to the tuner, then sweeten it with my ears. It was just guitar-bass-drums... so it didn't matter how I tuned. Except that our lead singer would often play acoustic, especially on intros. He didn't grasp the idea of sweetened tunings, and it would drive him nuts that we would be out of tune with one another on occasion. He'd blame it on me, because the tuner was "correct" for him... it was the rule of law, and I was admitting to not being straight with the tuner. I tried to demonstrate it to him just by listening, but it was of no use... he didn't have the ear to hear it.

kplamann and 57fenderstrat like this.
  8. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

Thanks for the responses. For what it's worth, if anybody is interested in the James Taylor tuning and has a tuner which shows frequency, but not cents, I list the Taylor frequencies below (and in the attached file).

It really makes a difference on acoustic guitar.

James Taylor tuning
    Note/eq.temp.(Hz)/cents/JT(Hz)
    E4 / 329.62 / - 3 / 329.1
    B3 / 246.94 / - 6 / 246.1
    G3 / 196.00 / - 4 / 195.6
    D3 / 146.83 / - 8 / 146.2
    A2 / 110.00 / -10 / 109.4
    E2 / 082.40 / -12 / 081.8

Attached Files:

9. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

Tune it or die!

kplamann likes this.
  10. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

And it's so obvious on acoustic guitar...

[Edit] It would be fun to know your frequencies and compare!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.