1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Clip On Guitar Tuners

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Jan 23, 2020.

1. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

Another high five for Snark Supertights! I have one in every case, and a spare in the gig-box.

spare batteries that fit them are sold in a four-or five pack - I keep a few in my battery stash

MattyK-USA and Torren61 like this.
  2. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

I've had the best results with a TC Polytune...but I can hear and feel the clip rattling on the headstock when I play aggressively. I can't hear it over a drummer but I've still considered gluing some foam to the inside of the clip. It has survived without malfunction for a year or so. It is the best clip on tuner I've had at detecting low notes on a bass guitar.

I've gone through a half dozen various Snarks in the last couple years. Their clips attach to the display with sort of a plastic ball and socket joint. It is one of the easiest display components to adjust quickly, but I've had those plastic retainer fingers on the back of the display bust off of a 2 of those tuners. I also dropped one of em on a hardwood floor and had it bust into pieces. They are neither the most rugged nor the most accurate. I have a couple students who have crushed the display on their Snarks within a couple months of buying them. As soon as they take damage they bleed ink throughout the display screen. They do have quite a few features...but I don't want my tuner doubling as a metronome. I also have no desire to tune to 432. Most of the features on a Snark are pretty useless for my purposes. YMMV.

I had a Korg and it was more precise than my Snarks but it's display got crushed. Still, it was more rugged than the Snarks. It survived for a year or two with half of the non-critical lights not working. Unlike a Snark were it immediately bleeds ink throughout the display upton taking damage, having a series of individual pin point lights sort of contained the damage. It didn't have many features but it was straight-forward, fairly rugged and quiet accurate. I wasn't playing bass at the time, so I didn't get to test it's ability to detect low bass notes.

Not a fan of those DiAddario Minis, the regular ones or the Planet Waves ones. The minis are pointlessly small, IMO. I am also prone to knocking the minis off my guitar by accident... seemed like the clips didn't grip as well as some brands. I question the ruggedness of all of their construction but haven't had one malfunction in my hands. Some of the shapes and sizes of their display components make it a bit awkward make adjustments on-the-fly.

Those old white Intelli-Touch ones were decent but sorta like the first generation of clip ons. I haven't seen many of those in the last decade. They were pretty big and also expensive when they came out. The display on mine ended up getting crushed after 2 or 3 years or service. I recall it having a few different features.

The Deltalab ones are not good at all.

I don't like the Fender ones that have a cube shaped display component. I doubt their survivability.

In terms of battery life... 2032 batteries lose their charge pretty quickly just sitting on the shelf in the package. It does not take long for them to die out, even without using them. I don't even bother buying a stockpile of them anymore for that reason. I just threw away a full pack of 4 dead ones that I bought less than a year ago. Kinda like premixed Shellac, they don't put a manufactured by date on the individual packages so you have no idea how long they've been sitting there.

I don't leave my tuners on full-time during a gig. Some folks get really obsessed with their intonation during string bends or just need help remembering the note names and use the tuner on full-time for that purpose. Batts will obviously go faster if you do that.

In terms of the sensitivities of various tuners... a bit of technique can help. In most cases you'll want to scoop up into all the target pitches rather than scooping down into them. If you aren't consistent with the direction you arrive at that target pitch (i.e. scooping up into some and scooping down into some) you might be on opposite sides of that tuner display's tolerance. I've always been told that the majority of tuning mechanisms hold pitch better when scooping up than when scooping down.

Torren61 likes this.
  3. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

I´ve got two of the TC Polytune tuners and love them because they´re very fast and work also in loud conditions.

Torren61 likes this.
  4. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I have two. Don't even know who made them. Some kind of cheap no-name brand. They're alright. Good enough for rock 'n roll, as the saying goes.

I do on occasion think I should get a tuner for my pedal board, but I guess I just can't be bothered enough.

I had to Google the Snarks to see what they looked like. Which I thought was funny, as I've heard the name mentioned a lot and they are apparently quite common. Maybe not so much in Japan?

Pax/
    Dean

Torren61 likes this.
  5. TokyoPortrait

Hi again.

I recently bought the Peterson phone app tuner. iStroboSoft it's called. About the equiv. of US10. Not cheap (as there are free ones out there), but not expensive either.

I didn't like it at first, but now I really do. Even used it for intonation the last couple of times I’ve adjusted things.

Anyway, not much use for tuning while playing with others / performing, but just thought I'd mention it, as it’s a very reliable tuner, esp. for at home. Never seem to misplace my phone.

Pax/
    Dean

6. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Another Snark user and have 6 or so. The Supers are very good but all are very accurate.
    I bought a 2 pack of D'Addario minis when they first came out but those ate batteries
    and used them up even when turned off. Did they ever get that corrected?
    I still have an A tuning fork. :rolleyes:

7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

If I ever see anyone on stage with them left on,
    I shoot rubber bands at their ears to tell them
    how wrong that is. Use it for convenience when
    you dont have a pedal or are in another room putting
    on strings..or just a sit in somewhere.
    Use a pedal.
    lol
    It's friday..

8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Oh you're one of those guys.
    Well the first thing I do when I strap on a guitar is put a Snark on the headstock. It stays on there till I'm done playing.
    Pedals? I don't use no stinking pedals! :)

9. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I need to get one of those...use the polytune pedal right now and like it.

10. poboy

poboy Tele-Meister

My DAddario Mini sometimes has difficulty tracking the low E string in a noisy room. Other than that, it works great.

11. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

I have the battery eating Snarks. My next will be rechargeable. Has anyone tried the Kliq, Stage Right or On Stage rechargeables?

12. POS Guitars

POS Guitars Tele-Meister

No matter what clip on you use, just a quick reminder - don't leave it on while gigging! It's hideous.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  13. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted

I have two Kliq pedal tuners. I ended up going back to the Supertight. Nothing glaringly wrong with the Kliq, it was just a matter of convenience and pedalboard real estate.

14. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Snarks are decent, but since I use a table top Petersen V-SAM at home, I find the clip on version Strobo-Clip seems to be a more accurate match when I'm on stage. That might have something to do with the "sweetners" provided by both.

15. Slim Chance

Were they clip-ones?

16. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

I had two cheap Apex clip-ons, and they both kacked over the last three weeks. Not a big deal, one was old, and the other was older, but I needed a new one. I decided to get a Snark Supertight, then noticed that the Danelectro is the same thing re-branded. Since I own a Danelectro, I figured I might as well get that one. Much nicer/brighter display than the Apexes, nice sensitivity, but there was something I found odd. The instructions had this warning:

“DANELECTRO advises NOT to use its tuner with any instruments having these types of finishes: Nitrocellulose lacquer, Polyurethane, French Polish, Oil Finish, or Gibson guitars which have nitrocellulose finishes, unless you accept the risk of dents to the headstock.”

Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t that pretty much cover ALL guitar finishes? I understand a CYA policy, but this seems excessive. And does the Snark have the same warning? (Not only is this obviously a Snark, Evets Corp. says it’s made by Snark, and it came in a little Snark bag inside the Danelectro box.)

17. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

+1 on all the Snark battery eater comments. I wish "Blackstar" would come up with a tuner that got the same battery life as a BlackStar Fly 3. Now that would be awesome.

18. Slim Chance

I ended up getting a Kliq Ecotuner last week because I wanted to go rechargeable. They are pricier than the battery Snarks and some of the other rechargables, but the Kliqs get very good reviews. When it arrived it had a rusted nut so I contacted the company and they are sending me another without asking for a return. Two for the price of one and great customer service.

The unit works well and gives readings down to 1 cent. Display is bright and the clip stays tight. It supposedly gives 5 hours of use, but it’s probably less. I ordered directly from Kliq and received a 15% discount with free shipping. Less than Amazon.

19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I think the new D’Addario units are butter than the Snarks.

I’m a Snark to D’Addario convert.

[​IMG]

They come in 6 delightful colors!

cincyguitarplay likes this.
  20. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

I too would say that sounds pretty much like all modern finishes. Perhaps Evets Corporation likes to be super CYA now. A while back (10 / 15yrs?) they lost the trademark to the name Danelectro in the European Union due to, basically, a clerical error. Don’t know how that worked out in the end.

As far as I know, Evets Corporation owns both Snark and Danelectro, along with Honeytone.

Pax/
    Dean

Dan German likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.