Cliffs of Dover...impossible??

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by metallicsponge, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

Well, watching the first video, it sounded a lot harder than it looked. Looked pretty easy. He did it without even moving a finger.

I tend to agree with the above poster, it seems just like a lot of notes. Chet Atkins once said that some of the best notes are often those not played. (and he was capable of playing a lot of notes.) Feeling, melodic line, etc. are what makes for enjoyable listening.

2. Suicideking

Suicideking Friend of Leo's

LOL this is just your opinion many would disagree with this statement. I appreciate both artists for diffent reasons. Cliffs of Dover definetly have the melody, and feel you are refering to though..

3. piece of ash

piece of ash Friend of Leo's

You know... Nokie has some chops. Hank Marvin??? Really???

4. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Great advice actually.
    I'm not really that into EJ (great player just not my thing) but this insight is pretty cool!
    I never really thought about it in these terms before (esatonic - 6 note scale?) but that's dead on it. The EJ stuff I have checked out does utilize that interval set A LOT (some Satriani too).

Grazie mille!

5. bikeracr

bikeracr Tele-Meister

Metallicspong, I'm in the same boat as you. I love this song & a lot of EJ's catalog. A lot of good tips in here.

6. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

daaaad! thats boooooooring 8)

7. metallicsponge

metallicsponge TDPRI Member

Regarding the iconic status of Cliffs: Probably should be a new thread, but if you ask a non-guitarist what some of the hardest songs to play are, many of them might say cliffs (especially the younger guys).

This helps professionally if you're trying to get a bass/drums together (esp. for covers). So in effect, having a song that "wows" fellow musicians and the crowd is important to your musicianship.

Please don't take this to an extreme though: Not saying that a song has to be well known to be worth learning, but nice to have one tool in your arsenal that...everyone knows...and doesnt require a singer. Im a little dissappointed that some people in this thread suggested that a kid who knows cliffs, just knows cliffs. Sounds like sour grapes to me, since as a guitar professional said here, its kind of a right of passage for his students.

And finally, its interesting, because I visualize the scale patterns like EJ--additions to the 5 note scale, but just dont have the liquid fingers to pull it off (especially on semi-clean).

8. chaseroonie

chaseroonie Tele-Meister

Has anyone head Brad P's "Cliffs of Rock City". That one will blow your hair back now.

9. Rob Moody

Rob Moody Tele-Meister

The Shadows RULE! Love them. As much as I also love EJ he doesnt match Hank for melody, and that clean tone was revolutionary at the time. First Strat player in the UK? Hats off to Mr Marvin.

10. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

If you do a YouTube search there are many videos that give a step by step breakdown of Cliffs, segment by segment. Just learn one part at a time.

I've always wanted to learn Manhattan. I bought an instruction DVD for just that song where a guy plays it with no problem, dead on accurate. Some of the 5 fret chords are pretty tough though. I learned a small piece each night.

It seems like a lot of rock / blues players have trouble with Cliffs. I see a lot of shredders with Ibanez guitars flying thru it.

11. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

Learn to sing, even a little. After you play this and the girls at the party are bored, you'll need to pull out some Brown Eyed Girl to get them back. ;)

12. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Hank just makes it look easy, he's so precise it's actually difficult to nail his work.

I think it goes without saying that pretty much all the "great" British guitarists tried to copy Hank, even standing right in front of him to watch when the Shadows played.

13. jefrs

When I saw the title, I thought of this one (as the original).
    Jimmy Cliff, Many Rivers To Cross.

Apparently he wrote it whilst returning to England from the continent, and passing along the white Cliffs of Dover.

14. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

15. gpar7

gpar7 Tele-Meister

How long should this song take to learn for a reasonable guitarist who sticks to classic rock/blues covers?

Any advice from people who've learned it?

It took me a year to learn well , played at a few gigs , gave it up because it's so hard to pull off live , it was well worth the effort personally but it doesn't really impress everyone as much as it deserves. it is a ton of notes !

16. jefrs

It's easy to play tons of notes, it's playing them in the right order that's the problem.

17. Fritter

Fritter TDPRI Member

I'm learning this now. Have the intro almost nailed. I like classic rock and blues mainly but they can be a bit boring to play at times (more fun in band setting than alone) although most people like that stuff. Cliffs is a guitarists song that you also will find doesn't bore the pants off the average Joe like some guitarist's guitarist music....

18. Twang King

Twang King Tele-Meister

bear in mind that it is also semi-improvised. the solos are different everytime johnson plays it live. he keeps the ideas be the rhythm is different and a few notes.

19. bikeracr

bikeracr Tele-Meister

Not trying to be a jerk, but it is actually in the key of G Major...same fingerings as E minor, but different tonal center.

20. Heavyweek

Heavyweek Tele-Meister

Each to his own I guess, have to say its one of the more tedious pieces of guitar wankery Ive heard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.