1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Clicking pedals on and off: Should I hear it through my amp?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by El Tele Lobo, Dec 3, 2020.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 5F1 Champ clone with a 12" speaker. I have a set of fairly cheap pedals:

JHS Prestige
    Nux Horseman
    Joyo d-Seed Delay
    Tone City Tremor tremolo

I never noticed it before because I usually play with my amp around 4 or 5. But lately I've been turning the amp up and controlling the level from the pedals or my guitar. Thing is...when I step on the switches to turn them on and off, it sounds really loud. Is this just a function of having the amp turned up and increasing gain/sensitivity? Or are my cheap pedals telling on me?

Not a big deal either way. Just curious. I mainly use the pedals for worship and ambient stuff...though I do like the Prestige/Klon type for compression/sparkle and the delay for dimension/slapback, especially for country and rockabilly type stuff. For jazz, I generally like to go straight into the amp.

Thoughts?

2. GoldieTop

GoldieTop TDPRI Member

It's normal.

Especially when you first turn engage them after awhile. There's a static charge that builds up over time, and when you click the switch it's discharged, making that pop sound.

Next time you go to play, try clicking each pedal 5 or 6 times in a row. Then see if it's any more quiet.

Marc Morfei and El Tele Lobo like this.
  3. hmemerson

hmemerson Tele-Meister Vendor Member

I'm not much of a pedal pusher, but whenever the question arrises regarding 'hearing the click' of a pedal, it's a reptilian response, and I hear "I CAN'T GET (CLICK!!!!!) NO......SATISFACTION!!!"

That was the first time any of us had ever heard a Maestro Fuzz Tone pedal. It defined the term 'microphonic'!

Everyone old enough will remember, I'm certain.

.........sorry.........you were saying?

HE

4. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Depends on the pedal. Does it happen with the JHS or just the “cheap” pedals?

5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

On true bypass pedals it's normal. Supposedly you can add a cap to make it less loud, I would't bother.

Tim S and El Tele Lobo like this.
  6. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I guess there's a few possibilities.
    a) Microphonic sensitivity to the shock wave of the switch snap. Not sure what can be done about that.
    b) Hanging a series DC blocking cap at the end of the signal chain without having a bleeder resistor to ground. I look at lots of DIY pedal schematics and a fair number (true bypass, as mentioned) seem to omit a high value resistor right at the end (or beginning) to keep the DC level at zero. Then a voltage builds up on that when it's not in circuit and goes ka-pow when you switch it back in.

7. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Are your pedals true bypass? If so, if there isn’t a pull down resistor in the circuit, it will click when engaged/disengaged.

8. El Tele Lobo

Hmmm...I WAS wearing socks on a hardwood floor. I'll bet it was ME!

9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

What are you using as a power supply? I was using one of those daisy chain supplies for a while and my pedals did this. I switched to a cheap brick supply and the problem went away..

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

There's no real excuse for the pedals doing this, it's just cost cutting and part of the whole "true bypass is better" hoopla from builders that want to save a few parts.

But it is "normal" for a lot of true bypass pedals, even expensive ones.

My tolerance for it is higher on a $50-80 EHX pedal than it is on a $200 JHS pedal that's pretty much a clone of an EHX or Boss design.

Not that the Boss ones will ever have popping problems since Boss didn't cost cut all this stuff out of the picture.

If it's a buffered pedal it is NOT normal.

It's a funny thing cause even a lot of the True bypass pedals that are working "normally" are introducing enough pop through the signal chain it is a problem for recording and will force you to do separate takes of parts where the pedal is on and off as opposed to just playing the part straight through and turning it on and off during recording.

I am just dealing with a $200 JHS pedal that always popped and now has a broken switch despite extremely light use with no gigging FWIW. So far pretty much 100% of the pedals I've had that have broken have been expensive, boutique, and true bypass. So take my rant with a grain of salt.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

kinda depends on the guitar and amp. If you are turning a champ all the way up and using a telecaster, then I am not surprised.

My experience has been, that at stage volumes, no one really notices a click. The bass player, singer, other guitar player and drummer all cover up the click.

beninma and El Tele Lobo like this.
  12. El Tele Lobo

I am using a daisy chain. Had to sell the PedalPower 2 and PedalTrain board to pay for X-ray school expenses. Will be upgrading again once I'm back to work.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  13. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

BTW. the best thing to do with a Champ is to get two of them and run them in stereo.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

It is common for a pedal with mechanical true bypass to make an audible click. It's not a sure thing. It depends on the type of pedal and your signal chain (the more gain you use the louder the click, generally speaking) among other things. Having a pull-down resistor in the pedal's circuit helps, and will often reduce the noise to something you won't really notice, but it's not a sure fire cure, especially at high gain levels.

The cure for this is a silent relay bypass switching system in the pedal (which is now a common/popular thing in both the DIY and commerical pedal building community) or to make one of those big midi switching boards so you just keep your pedals on all the time. Obviously that stuff takes a heck of a lot of time and effort and money to do.

Most of us just live with the odd switch pop.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

You don't need to spend a ton of $$ on a brick supply - I'm still using a no-name brick supply I bought on eBay for about $30 shipped. Those daisy chain supplies are cool, but some pedals get funky with them, and their ability to regulate power.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.